Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Best Open shootout I have seen. Thanks for all the hard work/fun you guys did. Love the physics lesson, its like I was a freshman again. Trouble was, my Physics professor wasn't near as good at explaining stuff yet alone a cool motorcycle racer like SBP. Good stuff Martin. You guys are the best! :) Great pictures, video, and writing.....Way cool. OK I going to reread it now..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Change my mind for me?

Funny thing about this story. As I started reading it I was thinking "maybe it would be cool to trade in my old 600 track bike for a liter bike." I don't race, I just play at the track days. By the end of the article I realized that I would be better off and have more fun finding a nice used SV650, leaving the engine alone, and just tweaking the suspension to play in the corners all day with little concern for speed between those corners. Would you believe you just un-sold a liter bike?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yer Right N' Wrong...

I would probabaly be as fast or faster on an SV650: at first. But these bikes go through corners as fast as smaller-motored motorcycles. As I get used to the power of bikes like this, watch my laptimes drop, and then I won'ty have the frustration of slower riders on liter bikes holding me up in the turns and walking away from me on the straights!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wow! This story rocks, and MO rules the world!

The written content, the videos, and Fonz's camera, there just isn't anything better on the net or at the news stand. I can't believe all of the love you guys put into this. Congratulations on a truly excellent and world-beating achievement.

LOL, these liter bikes are over my head, but that MadWagon ride might be just the ticket!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Yer Right N' Wrong...

True if you are racing. If you are just playing at a track day and have left at home your urge to compete with people other than yourself, then the real thrill is in the corners. It doesn't really matter how fast you make it down the straight other than as a braking exercise before the turn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: She has a website

If I wasn't so secure in myself I'd tell you how emasculating it is for some riders to have a seemingly mild mannered, 12 year old GIRL caning it past you just when you think you've stepped up your game since the last lap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another confused misleading discussion of torque vs power. The transimission on a motorcycle INCREASES torque - not "decreases". The torque at the rear wheel is higher by whatever the overall gear ratio is. Which should also tell you why torque is meaningless. You can have any torque you want at the rear wheell - all it takes is the right gearing. On the other hand power is approximately constant from the engine to the rear wheel; regardless of gearing. Your "area under the curve" theory has a grain of truth in it. If you plot power versus road speed for all the gears on the same plot you find that at any given speed there's one gear that provides the most power. The area under the power curve, always taking the gear that provides the most power at each speed, is a meaningful quantity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made the right choice...

I bought a new bike a week ago after being out of riding for about 7 years. For awhile I was considering the GSXR-1000, but ultimately decided on the SV1000S. The "most fun package that terrifying power comes in" sums it up quite well. Overall I chose the SV because it was more than $3k less out the door, almost half the insurance, and not quite as scary (in theory). I kept telling myself I wanted the 1000 because it would have "torque like a twin". Finally I decided why not just go get a twin! My first bike was a new 95 Kawi Vulcan 750 which was a lot of fun, which is when I fell in love with twins originally. I also owned a new 2001 GSXR-750 for about a month (no crash involved, long story!). I've got about 200 miles on the SV now and I love it. Even staying within the break in constraints (5500 rpm) I can tell it's much faster than I'll ever "need", and the sounds it makes are incredible! Hopefully it has a healthy intake honk at the higher RPMs, but I'll find that out in another 800 miles or so. For now I'll leave the monster liter bikes to the MO masters...

·
Registered
227 Posts
2005 Open Supersports Shootout! Wow.

Gentlemen (and Sean), this is a wonderful piece of journalism. I can only marvel at the amount of work that went into this....well, I was going to say "article" but there's video, too.

And Martin's physics lesson is like an on-line course. But cheaper.

In 2002 Hackfu and Burns did a similarly super job, but it took them three installments, and there wasn't nearly as much information.

Great work. Thanks.

(and the R1 rules due to pure sex appeal)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: I made the right choice...

Yeah, the break in period sucks because you are constanly being teased by the sweet noise. 5500 rpm is barely getting warmed up to the sounds to come. The wail at 9,000 rpm (as well as the thrust) is exciting and addictive. You made a fantastic buying decision with the SV. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Best review I've seen on these bikes. Can't beat the vids and pics. I don't think one could go wrong with any of these bikes. They are all waaaaaay better than I could ever be. For me the ZX-10 has the look and feel from a showroom perspective, but these bikes are all so tiny that fitting on them is the trick. I have been looking hard at the Busa LE and may have to take the plunge. I just can't help myself sometimes. A big plus to this story is all you guys are the best looking in all of moto-journalism. (Cough Cough)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.