Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FJR, last? Madness! A last-place vote for the ST1300? The VFR800 -- every journalist's favorite bike, much to the chagrin of every reader -- didn't win?

JohnnyB will surely disapprove -- the reprisal is coming, I can feel it, and it's gonna me vitrolic, for sure.

Grrr....

And, don't any of you MOFOs even _think_ about complaining the Concours wasn't included!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I rode the Ulysses around a bit when I was there, and it was a really cool bike. It was really tall, and I could see where that would be problem for the inseam challenged among us. Pretty much a go-anywhere bike. It would be on my list for sure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: the R12RT

Most people won't waste the money on the factory stereo - word in the owners world "it sucks!" I went without the ESA, too. That would save a bunch of money. Heated seats are GREAT. The windshield works better than any other bike I've ridden. If you read the owner's manual you could find out where to turn off the heated passenger seat.... :) I had an 05 FJR, sold it (to a guy that's a little shorter than me - he loves it), and got the Beemer. I looove it - I do the evening "find an excuse for a ride" thing often. The SO and I have gone for a couple of 250 mile Sunday afternoon cruises here in SoCal, it's the bomb!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not surprised the big Beem got the nod... after all the years of development it should. Probly easily worth the money, too.

I am surprised that the FJR fared so poorly. But it has been significantly upgraded for 2006, has it not? Heat managment issues have been addressed, or so they claim...

I am gratified (but not surprised) the Uly did so well in such lofty company as these indisputably world-class machines, and in its first year on the market. Remember-- these are motorcycles, boys, not appliances, and character really DOES count. Bravo Buell!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What in the world?

The Buell doesn't even belong in this lineup and the Interceptor is more sport than tourer. If your gonna add those two you might as well put in the K1200GT, R1200GS, and the R1200ST just to name a few.

If your gonna make a comparison, make it with the same kind of machines for Petes sake.

Again someone leaves out the Concours. Granted the Concours may end up being 3rd or 4th but at least it belongs in this lineup, and at half the cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST4 ABS, Triumph Sprint ST ABS or Yamaha FZ-1. Not to mention others like the Kawasaki ZX-14, Suzuki Hayabusa or (even) H-D V-Rod. Sports tourers? Please. Where's the Sport. Who says luggage must be hard cases. Who chose these contestants? Someone with too many nerve endings in their posterior?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The VFR acquitted itself given the criteria. The "With my money ..." results were consistent, suggesting that the testers saw some overall utility from the bike, if not for sport touring specifically. From the comments, and my personal experience, it's quite comfortable for long-limbed riders who stay on the twisties as much as possible -- I've done 12+ hour days on my '96.

A shootout with the Triumph ST, Aprilia Futura and BMW GS would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Rigged !

Just kidding. As somone who has owned an Accura, Honda, Toyota I understand Sean's anti-appliance attitude. The Accura was my best car but I got bored of it. My favorite cars were a Camaro with a V-8 and Mazda RX-7. Both had oil burning issues and spent some time in the shop but I never got bored of them. It easy to see the Buell as the American Muscle Car in this lineup thus the funess vote. The BMW looks nice except from the front but they are sure popular here in Seattle along with they Yamaha and VFR. Glad Fonzie was in the voting, he added needed crediability. :) Gabe seems to back to his bold virtuous self after his obvious alcohol induced opinion given in the 600 Value shot out. The rest of you are Erik Buell groupies.

Excellent funny review, great pictures and keep up the good work. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the proud owner of 2005 Suzuki DL-1000 with a full set of hard bags and an awesome Corbin seat, I was surprised to see a miniature bike like VFR included but not the V-Strom 1000. A realize that the DL-1000 is a bit of a compromise bike but so is this category.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That Buell Ulysses looks like a good sound bike with charactor. Who needs all those comfort zone extras anyway.Keep things simple and enjoy the ride.If you want appliances, enjoy them in the comfort of your home or hotel when you reach your destination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Every time a manufacturer introduces a new model or refines a pervious model motorcycle, there are hordes that want to know the differences and advantages of each model. You made a great comparison in your report but the touring aspect could better be tested on some longer rides. Touring is more than a day ride. Put on a couple of 1000 mile days and then give us your choices.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree about the Concours it should have been in there as a measuring stick if nothing else, but they also left out my beloved ZZR1200. Granted, the ZZR1200 is being phased out for the do-it-all ZX14 (still cannot understand where one bike can take the place of the ZZR1200, ZX12R, and ZRX1200), but still. Probably for the better. Every motorcycle magazine slams the bike (they do not like the accessorie luggage, and seating position) even though it is the fastest Sport Tourer around and has all day comfort. Proudly, I own the Rodney Dangerfield of Motorcycles since it get's no respect, at least until I twist the throttle and will leave them all behind!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find it a little hard to believe that the FJR 1300 finished two places ahead of the ST 1300 during last years shootout, and this year finished three places behind the ST 1300. No manufacturing changes in either bike during the two years. Will the true FJR (or ST) please stand up!

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.