Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think you summed this bike up when you said:

The majority of these will live hard, neglected lives by riders who will never even get close to the machine's performance limits. These customers simply want style and value, lots of it.

A budget cruiser and no reason for it to be disrespected. There are a lot of people who want a bike to ride and don't have $10 g's to drop on a "real" cruiser. It's great manufactures make that bike. That being said, in the $6500 - $7000 range, I'm buying an HD Sportster XL 883.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
First off, Gabe: You seemed a little stiff in your debut (Z750). Nothing particulary wrong with that piece, I just knew you were being a little cautious on your first time out. Since then, we're starting to see some more of the personality that makes Mr. Allcaps so entertaining. Nice job and keep cranking out the stories.

Second: I'm trying to understand the appeal of cruisers. I really am. But 600 lbs., 44 hp and 43 ft. lbs.? And, to second the first poster, a freakin' drum brake? I know this bike is aimed at the semi-newbie market, but jeez, I can't help but think something lighter that you can actually ride comfortably at highway speeds and doesn't make your a$$ ache after 20 minutes should, I say, SHOUD, be a lot more appealing. You'd think I'd know better by now, though, huh?

On one hand I kinda understand the whole cruiser-fashion appeal, although I'll never GET it (and the M50 is kinda good looking, for a cruiser.) On the other hand, I just don't get it at all.

Is something wrong with me?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Without a comprehensive physical exam...

I don't think I can answer your last question, especially since I'm not a medical doctor. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with your dislike of cruisers- I don't understand why a manufacturer would purposely reduce a product's performance and capability, nor do I understand why a customer would pick this over, say, a Z750.

However, having ridden a variety of these things, I can say that they do deliver a genuinely satisfying experience. They sound cool, look cool and impress passers-by and underage girls. I don't think I'd ever own a cruiser, but if I didn't have any twisty stuff to ride on, and just wanted to cruise around, I'd probably be more partial.

Thanks for your kind words!

·
Registered
27 Posts
>> Is something wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong w/ you man, relax. No need to understand the appeal of cruisers if you don't already know. Agreed they are more likely be uncomfortable than a standard, but riders come in all flavors and sizes. It's called personal choice and very common... understood or not, its here to stay. And if you can "kinda understand", then you are ahead of many others out there that just wanna burn all cruiser bikes.

No need to "get it". Just buy what you want, marry whomever you wish, or what ever you wish, eat what you wish, paint your house the color you like and call it living your own life. We're all different. You'll be ok, just don't hurt yourself trying to figure it out, chances are those people don't need your help! :)

Btw, the appeal of cruisers is simple, they're motorcycles that don't hurt yer nuts when you ride 'em. [Sure, maybe the tailbone - but that's already sore from the chair at work.] And they're less likely to put me in jail when I get picked up for doing 55 in a 25 when trolling for dates in a school zone.... my parole officer would hate to hear that one ...again Otherwise, what can I afford?

-ap

Now, about them drum brakes...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's all viewpoint, dude. You might not understand why anyone would want to ride a bike that doesn't have the greatest possible perfromance. Someone else might consider your choice of bikes to be a senseless exercise in excess. Who gives a shyt? Any ride is better than no ride.

However, people like my wife (5'2") have few choices for full size motorcycles than middleweight crusiers. She's sat on a few bikes recently and bikes like the Boulevard are the only ones she could reasonably ride.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The bike isn't my cup of tea. However, I did enjoy reading this well written review. Gabe you have great writing style. In addition I feel you successfully conveyed the essence of this bike in a very entertaining manner. Thanks again.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Jeeez, Gabe. The magazinefuehrer wouldn't spring for a pair of faarken stirrups to keep your pants from blowing up? Next thing you know he'll take away your fringed armchaps.

Time to start a Federal Labor Act case!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, lets just say my tongue was somewhat planted in my cheek. I've always maintained that everyone should ride what they like. But I've ridden several cruisers, and, while I can say that you're absolutely right that any ride is better than no ride, it's hard to escape the puzzling feeling, and overwhelming relief, I'm taken by when I hop back on one of my bikes. To me, the experience doesn't compare.

I'm not one of the I-gotta-have-the-fastest-lightest-bike-on-the-street guys. But I don't think an overweight, relatively bad handling bike is the best choice for new riders either.

Aside from the height issue, I can't see how these things are really good for someone with very limited experience. Lowering a standard is probably a better option (but yes, at 5'2" that could even be a problem.)

By the way, both of my bikes are, in reality, senseless overkill.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice cruiser.

I'm also, not.. a cruiser person.

I do own an 883R so I understand the low power 'fun factor'.

I just don't get the forward control rationale.

It limits the leverage you need to turn and more importantly, LIFT for those nasty bumps.

Now, to the drum brakes...

I see nothing wrong with them.

If it slows the bike down and in fact, locks up the rear wheel, what more can you ask for?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My wife is even shorter at 4'11" and she has an even more limited selection. She is thinking about a Buell Blast or maybe a Honda Rebel. Small, light motorcycles are hard to come by in the US and it is a shame. Way to many people get a CBR600 or even an SV650 as a first bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
no, that bike is now called the C50. the M50 is the replacement for the old Marauder 800. THe S40 is the Savage, the S50 is the old Intruder 800, the S83 is the old Intruder 1400, and C90 is the INtruder LC1500. The M95 is the rebadged Kawi Mean Streak that was known as the Marauder 1600 for a single model year, until Suzuki reidentified the entire cruiser line under the name "Boulevard"

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I do have a crusier, a 700 Magna. But it's world's lighter than any of the new "middleweights". It's a great bike for around town, even with the too soft suspension. With boots and the fork tubes pushed up my wife can ride it, but she has to tippytoe at stoplights and she's not comfortable enough.

She used to fit pretty well on some of the mid-80's customs like the 550 LTD with the fork tubes pushed up. Sadly there is absolutely nothing available like that any more. The only bikes I've seen around like that are too thrashed for me to be willing to pick up to fix up for her.

We're so used to high horespower bikes now that we've seemed to forgotten that a 50odd hp 550 is perfectly capable of riding across the continent and still is capable of humiliating most any car.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh yeah. I remember now. The Boulevards were promoted in ad copy as the greatest advancement in cruisers in the history of the known universe.

Well, they did meet the HD criteria for a "new model". That's something.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.