Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that "Hammer" is sweet. I take back what I said about Vic's. Un-Harley.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Okay, I guess. The Hammer is pretty cool, with the 250 tire and the six speed, but I still can't get over their engine styling. Could they make it any more plain? The cylinders look more like scaled down models of skyscrapers than parts of a motorcycle engine.

And guys, please, PLEASE stop making the Touring Cruiser. You've grown well past that stage of awful styling with your new bikes. Just make the Kingpin into its replacement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
aNESSthetized

I think it is time to rid themselves of the Ness team. I mean they have something going and then those goofy Kingpin fenders from some lost Ness era? And those gawd awful tribal quasi flames--yuck. Saddle bags that have no capacity because of the staggered one-sided exhaust system (it's called bagger pipes boys). The Hammer has promise, but what happened to the rear fender and struts? Can you say afterthought? Lime frickin' green...are the Teutul's in the house, because that's as about lame as their crap. Still I give Victory credit and wish them success--with a few changes to their designs and designers.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My two cents (which is about all it's worth):

I happen to like the Hammer. I see a bit of cafe racer there. Different for a cruiser. Now, if they wouldn't add that God awful tribal pattern. Haven't we seen enough of that crap?

The Vegas is okay. The 8-ball is the way to go here. The Vegas looks best in basic black.

Not a fan of the Kingpin. The fenders are just not appealing to my eye. It does evoke a few old Ness designs that I hated. I give them points for trying to be different, though.

The Touring Cruiser...ehhhh...I think enough has been said about that one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish they'd build a more standard motorcycle like the Sportster as well. I don't like the forward foot control thing but I like the styling of Victory's in general.

I think the 260(?) on the Hammer is probably too big. It looks dumb. It's not a chopper so the lines don't work very well. Too bad really, it looked like it was a shot at bringing back some of the SportCruiser they used to make.

The 8 Ball has the most gimmicky name I have ever heard for a bike. They might as well have called it the 'Night Rider', I can feel the chill down my spine already. Does anybody actually buy a bike because of names like that?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
What's with the grab handles on the mufflers of the Touring Cruiser?

A friend of mine works in the film industry and shot the new commercial for the Hammer. He thought it was pretty cool looking.

The biggest styling problem Victory has to deal with is the engine. The DOHC engine is really tall and difficult to style around. Oh, I forgot, it's "modern."

Yamaha and Kawasaki now both use pushrod designs for their popular cruisers. The jugs are a lot shorter that way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A hooligan naked? A sport tourer? Are we talking about Buell or Victory here SA?

As one who has actually seen and sat on the new bikes, I can assure you that the Hammer is a stunning looking bike in person. If they ride as good as they look, they'll have a bigger winner than the Vegas on their hands.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I'd still like to see Victory make something like a Confederate Hellcat. I'm sure they could pull one off for under 20 G and really have a different product worth buying. The chopper looking clones are beat to death and then some. Victory needs to do something truly different, or they will always be an "also ran" in the marketplace.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You bte. A real snoozer. Almost as boring as the intro of each year's cookie cutter race replicas.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am totally bored with the "cookie cutter race replicas", but they have only been around like they are today since the early 1980,s so they have decades to go before they hit the "cookie cutterness" of the cruiser style. luckally that is only one slyle of bike that most of those companys make, so I am looking forward to see what else they have coming out. (sporster rider for years in case you are wundering)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Two questions: why can't there be just one model with the pegs in a more standard position, and why must the engine be such a vibey layout? I'm still trying to understand this whole cruiser thing. Everybody knows less (or more) then 90 degree v's have lots of annoying vibes, as do inline 4's. Right? So why are so many built this way? Is it really just style?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isn't this a 50-degree V twin? With separate crankpins?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not grasping the import of separate crankpins, but, yes, it is a 50 degree engine. That's my point. It has a primary imbalance which creates an especially vibey ride. I'm curious why that is. Basically, I really like 90 deg v-twins and fours, and I don't understand why the tremendous preponderance of American buyers vote with their money for inline fours and smaller than 90 deg twins, unless it is basically form over function. Certainly there are weight gains form inline fours just in terms of how small the engine can be. But 50 degree twins, 45 degree twins, 52 degree twins? I don't get it.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I agree with you here. Apparently the only cruisers you can buy without the camel humping footpeg positions are 4 of Harley's Dynaglides and the Honda Ruin. Every other cruiser that I see on their websites has the stupid forward controls. That position gets awful tiring after a while.

As far as 45 degree V-twins and inline 4s go.....

The 45 degree V-twin was the engine of choice in the 20s because the most powerful engines of the time were aircraft radials. The V-twin is simply a small section of a radial. Harley has seldom deviated from that formula since then. Today, that configuartion is what sells - like it or not.

The inline4 configuration is mandated by God as "The Only Correct Configuration".

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Simple deductive reasoning and a mere whiff of knowelege about motorcycle handling will tell you that the Hammer will NOT handle as well as the Vegas, due to the use of that silly 250 rear tire. The Hammer has potiential, but until they configure it like a standard or cafe racer, with a moderate riding position and sensibly sized tires, it will be nothing more than a candy colored bar hopper. -Sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The V92 engines do NOT have annoying vibrations at highway speeds. In fact, I would say their character coupled with their superior power delivery make them my favorite of all the V-Twin cruiser motors.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.