Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the point?

In Australia there are fiercly enforced road rules - you just don't ride fast if you want to keep out of jail. So what's the point of a bike this quick? Harley's got it figured with big torque and comfort, not outright speed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: What's the point?

The point is that bikes like the Tuono have a nice stiff chassis and responsive handling. This means that they are satisfying to ride even when you're obeying the speed limit.

Of course that's pure conjecture on my part, cause nobody I know has ever knowingly "obeyed" any traffic laws anywhere on this planet when riding a Tuono. -Sean

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Throw in the upgrades and offer a plane white wrapper so I can paint it myself and I'll be there. It looks pure but that paint and blue wheels gotta go. And yes, I'm 50 something and come from an older school of design. You younger guys can have the edgy graphics.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'm not sold on the red/white scheme, either. I've seen the silver/charcoal version, too, and that one works better for me.

But I've got to agree with Sean. While powerful bikes can be frustrating to ride close-to-legal speeds, still nothing beats a bike that is responsive and suspended well. And if you want torque, you've got it here.

I rode a cruiser for a little while the other day. Sorry, it just didn't do much for me. Fat, slow turning and imprecise.

But different strokes and all that...

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts

Just follow the same advice proferred by those who recommend 600 supersports and literbikes to newbies:

"Just exercise restraint."

Heh heh. Go ahead. I dare ya'.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have to admit that 'restraint' was not very high on the agenda as I test rode a bike last week - following the sales rep guy (or, rather, trying to keep up)

I love FAST and have almost tripled the local speed limits in several places ... but ... as far as sensible long term ownership and self preservation ... maybe I should buy a car. No, just kidding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, it looks like at least Aprilia has addressed what I considered the biggest wart on the old bike – the Clorox bottle stuck on the right side. Now it just looks like a Clorox bottle with some black grooves in it. Better, but still pretty f’ugly.

I test piloted this bike and ended up buying a Monster S4R instead. I just couldn’t get on with the riding position (an odd combination of Motocross bars and very rear-set pegs). I’m a size 9.5 boot, and my heal was actually resting on the swing arm and I felt like my torso was flapping up in the breeze. IMHO, lower risers and some adjustable rear-sets would go a long way.

Peace.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Damn checkbook trembling again.

I don't get the blue wheels but the smaller fairing looks cool. It has less of the "just crashed the Mille" look.

The San Diego dealer has a new Brutale 910 in so hopefully they'll have one of these too. It might kill my desire for one of those retro Ducatis!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Damn checkbook trembling again.

I'd stick with the Ducati Classic.....This is a nice bike, but in profile it looks like an SV650 or 1000.

I rode my bud's new Ultra GeezerGlide the other day....I'll have to put one of those on the list as well...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Agree, though they hit a sweet spot when they did the Red paint and "magnesium" colored wheels IMHO. It's hard to get around how many top journalists simply LOVE this bike, it's always on my radar.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Even though someone is getting pretty snippy with those scores: Morons - drop what you are doing, visit Aprilia USA and check out the new ad campaign pics for wallpaper.

3 guess and the first two don't count as to which pics adorn my desktop, at least until the wife sees it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts