Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why do I get the feeling Honda is designing motorcycles that make nice headlines outside the motorcycle community, instead of better motorcycles. Airbags? c'mon. 800cc VTEC VFR vs. 1000cc VFR, please ditch the VTEC. Rune, Ruckus.... Technology for technology's sake is annoying and expensive. Look what the SV650 did for Suzuki. How about something that's fun, inexpensive, and just works? How about a street legal dual sport or dual sport tourer? Redesigned Super Hawk?? They aren't the the company they used to be.. Sorry to sound so grumpy, they just cease to amaze me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll stick with my K1200LT, my Electr Glide Classic and my ability to pay enough attention so that I don't rear end anyone. (and yes, if any of you remember, I had an idiot change lanes directly infont of me forcing me to throw away a perfectly good Harley {it was cheaper tio fix than I was} and breaking my knee cap, but I didn't rearend the accident leaving/causing *******. Thank God for the witnesses who hung around). Just think of what will happen when one of these go off accidently...

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you want to spend $20K on a Honda to travel as comfortable as possible, then get an Accord. It will do everything this bike does much better. If you want to sacrifice a bit of comfort for open-road feel, get a Mazda Miata.

I have never understood the purpose of luxo-tourers like this. To me these are bikes that have a personality disorder; they do not really want to be bikes. Motorcycles are not the most comfortable nor practical means of transportation. Trying to make them such is bound to produce an overpriced frankenbike which does not provide excitement nor practicality.

Which brings me to the fatal flaw of this bike: I could care less for it. It does not excite me, nor makes me wish to own it. It has as much motorcycle-appeal as the appliance-car it tries to emulate.

Of course, this is just my lonely opinion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Might as well buy a car.Even their concept vehicle[which I personally will be produced as both of them the dn-01 and e4-01 have their own websites],the e4-01 has an airbag.Forgive my ignorance,but don,t motorcyles SLIDE ON THEIR SIDES when we crash!And I agree Honda dissappointed me this year with their lousy lineup.No cbf1000,no deauville.Come to think of it outside of a revamped xr 650 were there any new bikes from big red?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Besides stuffing the airbag where the sun don't shine, I like it. I owned the previous generation Wing and put many miles on it. For those that put big miles on, there is nothing better.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have never understood the purpose of luxo-tourers like this. To me these are bikes that have a personality disorder; they do not really want to be bikes. Motorcycles are not the most comfortable nor practical means of transportation. Trying to make them such is bound to produce an overpriced frankenbike which does not provide excitement nor practicality.

Which brings me to the fatal flaw of this bike: I could care less for it. It does not excite me, nor makes me wish to own it. It has as much motorcycle-appeal as the appliance-car it tries to emulate.

Of course, this is just my lonely opinion.

___

To each his own. I, on the other hand, feel the same way towards other bikes - not all bikes mind you, just some - mostly sportbikes. It is why there are many different kind of bikes out there.

Mine does excite me and makes me wish to own it (as I do LOL). I am glad that you are able to express your opinion, and I will do the same - it's my bike, and I ride it because I like it, not because someone else likes (or doesn't like!) it.

Provides plenty of excitement and loads of practicality for me, so it would appear that we have 2 different styles of riding.

Thats what makes motorcycles great!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't get sport bike either. So what if they are fast, they are uncomfortable and generally make normally nice folks act like idiots.....and I have personally out ran some of them (and I really wasn't trying) on my Beemer (K1200LT) in the twisties....didn't see a single sport bike in the remote parts of the Alaska Highway this summer. Rarely see anyone actually traveling on one. What good is any vehicle if you can't actually go anywhere on it....yeah, flame bait..

In other words, motorcycling is not always about speed and cutting edge technology. I mean Cadillacs and Bentleys don't race....oh wait, yeah they do now....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda, as well as every other bike maker, continually shifts their focus farther and farther from what I would like to buy. From my 6'3" 50 yr old perspective, bikes are getting too powerful, too expensive and with too many gee-whiz bells & whistles. A technologically updated 1200 cc touring bike that wouldn't cost more than my car would be nice. Bike makers have shoved me out of the way to go for the big money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
O boy, more weight. As it is now, I don't enjoy taking on passengers, or paddling around in New York area 5mph bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Why not just add larger diameter forks and a thicker windscreen to create a "Crumple Zone". Air bag. Will it float?

What happened to adjustable bars, seats and backrests? And yes, its time for an automatic transmission. How about better mileage or a bigger gas tank?

Oh thats right, Yamaha is answering those questions with the FJR1300.

GL1100I

GL1500A

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many riders prefer the comfort level the Gold Wing provides. If you don't want that comfort, go ride a paint shaker or a flame thrower on wheels. There is a bike made for everyone. I was skeptical of the airbag but saw the video test of its effectiveness. It might not be for everyone but for those that appreciate the additional safety, the airbag would hurt less than a face plant into a truck bed. If we never embraced innovation and technology we would ALL still be riding on some very old bikes. Perspectives from riders who have used the airbags will be better than the opinions of those who have never tried one. (Hmm...That sounded like a phrase I kinda remember from the '60s.) ô¿~

·
Registered
15 Posts
bigjames - You're missing out on a lot, in my opinion, ifyou feel that only one kind of motorcylce makes sense. I currently own a Gold Wing, and a VFR800, and a four wheeler, and a Miata, and an SUV, and a Van, and a Bicycle, and am about to buy an adventure tour motorcyle. If you don't know the difference between experiencing travelling through the blue ridge mountains on a Wing versus a VFR versus a Miata, maybe you really ought to give variety a chance. To the hardcore touring sport bike crowd (yes, it exists), your LT is an unfathamable object. Never forget that variety is the spice of life!!!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.