Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh man, are you screwed!!! You know you gotta have it, and that poor Vulcan will be sold in a year at the most. Welcome to modern motorcycling, your gonna LOVE it. Let us know if you get it.... never mind, you will.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the real world. You really thought you knew what fun riding a bike is until you rode that DL, didn't you?

In a year you'll try on a 675/R1/GSXR/... and from there on there's no turning back. That's the difference between "really enjoy" to "HOLLY ****IN JESUS".

Isn't adrenaline fun?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The V-Strom is a more versatile design to be sure and if you do any sort of extended touring, I'm sure it's multi-faceted capabilities will shine. That said, it has been my experience that if you intend to keep your motorcycle for a long time, the Kawasaki is the one to go with. They're super durable. I'm convinced that Kawasaki puts more value in ensuring that their products stand the test of time and wear. Parts are generally overbuilt to withstand dents, dings, corrosion and failure better than those of comparable Japanese motorbikes. Not everyone will agree, but that's my honest opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tend to agree but it's probably subjective. Maybe it come from the name, Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Probably the overall design and execution of the bikes plays a part as well. Their designs, in all the little things and how they integrate into the whole, usually seem less elegant than the Japanese competition and there is a certain utilitarian, heavy duty sort of feel to it.

For years their sport bikes were literally heavier too.

Unfairly perhaps for a basis of comparison but my only Honda, a used 83 750 Sabre, had horrific design flaws in the valve train. Honda has had a surprising number of these kinds of engineering snafus but then again, they have so many designs that failures are bound to be more common.

I do take issue with the fighting corrosion part of the arguement for their durability. Often I think the finish on little parts is a bit subpar compared to say Honda.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Circumstance has me riding a bit more with some Harley/cruiser people. Many of them are not very good cycle drivers. Let me put it this way. Most are uninterested in the art and science of really proficient control of their bikes. On the other hand they don't want to go fast.

Cruising is just a different thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My GFs WeeStrom 650

My GF owns a WeeStrom 650. ITs a great do-it-all bike. I've toured on it to San Diego from SF.

The Thou is basically like the 650 but with a big extra helping of Go Juice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the third season for my 03 V-Strom. New record for me. Longest that the new bike monkey hasn't been able to successfully jump on my back. Every time I try a new bike and then get back on the Strom I just can't spend the money. Its just too good. The low price and easy upkeep makes it even better.

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brian,

If you can afford it, do both. They are different riding experiences. I've ridden a Road King (rental) and like the V-Strom (I have a 650) better for my purposes. To each their own but if you like both, keep both. You may regret it later if you miss the Vulcan or don't get the V-Strom.

Face it-I'm a bad influence since I have 3 bikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I owned a 1000 VStrom which I then traded for a 650 VStrom Actually I thought the 650 was a balanced bike. Took it from SF to Phoenix in one day didnt notice the horsepower difference as I wasnt using all of the 1000 engine. Have owned a few cruisers, including a Fatboy and for a brief time a VTX. Cruisers in general are not that comfortable over the long run. If you want to stick with cruisers you are better off with Road King type bikes as they are comfortable. Drove one of those cross country. That being said the 650 VStrom is an exceptional bike, and I have owned over 60 bikes(not at one time:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure that the stom is a great bike, I've never tried one. But maybe you should try some of the other bikes out there that are sporty but not sport bikes(like naked bikes). I like the FZ1000, honda 919,speed triple(thats what I want) or either sv 1000 or 650. I even like the kaw Z1000, if you like Kawasaki or the ZRX(thats what I have)

Maybe you would like the buell uly.,bmw gs, ktm adventurerer if you are aiming for the off road thing but they are all more money than the strom., I just don't know if its worth riding a dual sport for the few times I would use it. but thats me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Uh-oh, you're in big trouble now. Ya see, on one hand you have the sport-bike guys that put down cruisers and such for not having mega horsepower and being heavy. Cruisers can't be any fun to ride, can they? On the other other side is the metric cruiser/Harley guys who dont understand the thrill of carving up the road on a sport bike. They sure dont seem comfortable and cant be fun to ride, can they? You are finding out what I and not too many others know: All types of bikes can be great fun. If you can afford to buy and keep two bikes (or three or four or more) I say go for it!! If I were a rich man, I would have a garage full of every type of bike available.

BikerVince

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 04 Honda 1100 Sabre, an 02 BMW 1150 RT, an 05 650 V-Strom and an 06 Yamaha FJR 1300. If I had to keep just one, it would be the V-Strom. I have ridden a couple of DL 1000 and I thought the handling was a dissapointment compared to the 650. A friend who owned a 1000 recommended I buy the 650, he said he wished he had. The 650 has enough power in most situations. If Suzuki would puch it out to 750, give the fuel tank one more gallon, and put a driveshaft on it, it would be the perfect bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 7 bikes, of which a 2005 V-Strom 650 is one of them. The others are a 1990 Honda VFR750F, a 1994 Yamaha YZF750F, a 1997 Honda CBR600F3, a 2002 Triumph TT600, a 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i, and a 2003 Kawasaki Z1000. I like the V-Strom a lot, but if I was keeping one bike, it would be the VFR750F. Just a classic bike. The Z1000 would be second, and then the V-Strom third. It could use a little more power, which is why I would keep the VFR first. I rode the V-Strom from Florida to NY, and it has not given me any problems. I routinely get 55 miles per gallon too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.