Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Red Fox

What the heck are you talking about? The word 'liberal' has become the modern version of leprosy precisely because the right wing does such a good job of the whole 'us' and 'them' thing. May not use the 'state' word, but they got the dialectic thing down pat.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Liberal, conservative, left wing, right wing... ain't a nickel's difference between the two.

Sure there is ... they hate different people. ;)

I'll summarize a writer that I've forgotten:

The far right wants to force you to be white, straight, male, Christian, fiscally and sexually conservative and creationist.

The far left wants to force you to be secular, vegetarian, gender-aware, hairy, fiscally and sexually radical and poor.

The moderate right wants you to be good with our money.

The moderate left wants you to be fair and just.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Longride is speaking metaphorically. They didn't invent the term, the became emblematic of it and so, in a metaphorical sense, 'reinvented' the word because there were no good liberals for the term to apply to.

Of course, the Ann Coulters, Sean Hannitys, Rupert Murdochs and Rush Limbaughs of the world, spouting their bitter, vile diatribes against liberals 24/7 over the radio, TV and in print had NOTHING to do with how the term became what it is. Nah.

·
Registered
138 Posts

He won me over with his pitch for campaign reform a few years back. I haven't been such a fan since, but at least he had a high water point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts