Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike looks great. I saw it in person at the Seattle IMC; was not expecting to be impressed but it was striking.

Also a shorter seat (is nice for vertically challenged people like me) and great riding position.

It's a little disappointing that Gabe's example was buzzy and snatchy. All those engineers Yamaha has, you'd think this bike would be smooth as glass. My R1 is and it's a three year old design.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review, nice pictures...Yep I agree the bike has a nice look. Too bad about the throttle response and buzziness. Otherwise it would be a great choice for a do everything street bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey, I know why they gave it crappy off throttle response, and high speed buzzyness. All the long distance riders can focus on that instead of the lack of integrated luggage again. Amazing, all those fortyish riders that Yamaha brain picked when designing this bike, had no interest in carrying anything more than a wallet and spare summer gloves when they head off for the horizon. Oh, I know, the Yamaha engineers just love the way the sexy new FZ-1 looks with a beautiful set of lumpy Givis attached.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Foam grips will probably cure the "tingles". But I wonder why the "old guys" they consulted didn't demand lowers for the fairing? There's a lot to be said for keeping the cold wind blast off your arthritic knees (and actively controlling hot air flow across the motor.) Give us color matched lowers with directionally controlled venting, and I can't imagine a better way to ride to "destination roads", and also have the right tool to use on 'em when you get there. I'd settle for throwing a set of soft bags on the back and sending any other stuff ahead via UPS to my destination (if longer than a few days stay.)

Begs the question: Why would anyone pay four large more for a top of the line Yammie 1300 with higher weight, less HP and only "very good for its size" handling? Hmmm... so that's why it doesn't have lowers and hard bags... don't want to cannibalize your own lineup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious how this new FZ-1 compares to Kawi's Z750S on a bang-for-buck basis. Does the upscaled suspension and displacement justify $3000 extra? For an 80/20 (80% around town/20% twisty) machine, which is the better value?

Would MO consider doing a "general purpose class" comparison with power/weight ratio as only a minor factor in the evaluation? Perhaps 600cc-1000cc displacement range. FZ-1, FZ-6, Z750S, SV650S, etc.?

(one of those 40+y/o riders thinking of upgrading his ZR7)

·
Registered
489 Posts
In general, the OEMS don't provide passengers for the press intros. Most modern press launches involve a plane ticket, a hotel room, a presentation, a couple meals and a bike.

Things might have been a bit different in the "old" days, when might have received a "passenger" in addition to the items listed above.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Hmm. When I hear "saddlebags", I hear "sport-tourer." I always thought the mission statement of bikes like the FZ-1 is, "Sportbike that won't fold you into origami."

I think it's two distinct markets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually own an '06 FZ1 and have put a good amount of miles on it already and have not noticed anything I would call "buzziness". The engine is extremely smooth throughout the rev range. Now the snatchy throttle is another thing. At first it was a problem for me (I came from a cruiser bike) but as I have put more miles on the bike and gotten used to the throttle it has gotten a lot better but it is a little abrupt if your not smooth with it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Actually, I don't know why anyone would want a bike without a windscreen, and something to keep the 'arthritic' knees warm would be nice, but below that point, I would just as soon see nothing but engine. I quit changing the oil on my VFR myself because it's so damn agravating to get all the stupid fasteners back in place. I always lose at least one, and there is always one that doesn't want to go back on right. Screw it, I got more money than time, so I let the dealer do it, but you really shouldn't have to take part of the body off to change the oil.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BIKE magazine's article on this bike implies that the abrupt throttle will be cured on later production models.

OK, this is good, but how did it ever leave the factory this way in the first place?

Hard luggage and fairing lowers are available.....in Canada.

Sounds like a good reason to take a ride north....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was looking at one at the local dealer, and while I am impressed with the improvements and the overall style, I have to say it: THAT EXHAUST IS HIDEOUS. It's a big plasticky-looking blob ruins the flow of the styling and makes the bike look cheap, as if it was made of bakelite. Even an R6 style underslung shorty would have looked much better, and it isn't exactly a handsome unit.

OK, rant over. I'm sure its a great bike despite the hunk o' PVC they glued to the right hand side.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
OK, I know you put lots of caveats in the article, but I still would buy the nekkid version over the faired one.

I wish the factory would just make the parts available in the states, even if it's special order from Japan, or Europe. I think I should just be able the get the parts through the dealer.

The unfaired bike is cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.