Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woe is the American motorcycle market when it comes to naked bikes. I guess more manufacturers aren't interested in sending more our way because they sell in very small numbers. However, it seems to me that Triumph, Ducati, and Aprilia are able to be profitable selling their naked bikes here. Are the Japanese manufacturers avoiding the U.S. market because of the relatively low price point naked bikes have to have thereby requiring higher sales to reach a target profit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is one boring looking bike. Love the European nakeds some of which I have owned, like the Tuono, Brutale etc. In my humble opinion the Japanese do not sell many nakeds here cause they have not got them right yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, speaking as a North American, I can say that I have exactly zero interest in this bike. I don't care if it's 15% cheaper than an FZ1 ... I'd rather have the FZ1, XB12S, Speed Triple 1050, or even the Bandit 1250S instead of this. It sounds like it's been completely castrated. Why even bother with a 1000cc engine?

To be honest, I think anyone who would be interested in this bike will pause momentarily, and buy a DL650 instead.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Exactly. I ride a DL650 and it offer just as much as this bike, looks better, and with the right tires is a decent trail bike as well as corner carver. Mind you, if I had the cash a Tuono would be in my garage, but not a 2007 CBF1000... boring. I can think of many more enjoyable bikes in that price range or less.

·
Registered
530 Posts
LOL! Yes, most sport & naked bikes from the 1980's have more "sexy" in 'em than this tripe. I guess some of the Honda guys did some meth while working in the CAD room. Lordy be that thar is an ugggggly moto. ! ;-)

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Boring, Basic and Bulletproof

Save the freight Honda.. Most American motorcyclists ride for fun either for performance (sportbikes) or the group think thing(GPTBots cruisers). In Europe where bikes are used for transportation these bikes are like Toyata Camrys, Honda Accords, and the like. Boring, Basic and Bulletproof... Plain Jane looks to go with it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Comparing it to a 1989 FJ1200, a bike I actually owned, it has all the weight with even less power and none of the charm. Honda, your comparison points should be able to beat 17 year old bikes.

On the other hand, as Youssef reminds us, this is a 1000cc BUDGET bike. The FJ1200 wasn't. Honda, you still should set your sights a bit higher, both in the power and styling departments.

My 2 cents, YMMV

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
You nailed it.

Ditto for me. Well said

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
To pick a nit, can't anyone translate kilos into pounds for the metrically challenged? I think the "Kerb Weight' is 484 lbs. Maybe you guys are not supposed to alter any part of the Hondo blurb, but if I'm correct in my math, it's kind of porky to boot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the blurb; this is supposed to be a naked? If this thing is a naked then so is my SV650S. I can't believe how greatly that engine has been de-tuned. That's just an absurd number, surely they could have tossed in something a bit more sensible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rip the fairing off of that thing, tune it to 150+ HP, give it adjustable suspension, a wider rear tire (180 or 190,) and a stronger frame, and it would sell here. Hopefully that's exactly what the updated 919 will be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2.2 lbs per kilo, .6 miles per kilometer and interestingly enough the standard (x) liters per 100 kilometers travelled cannot be translated into miles per gallon without getting a headache.

Rub

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Disappointment?!

So, Honda has lost touch with the consumer. Guess they are in the business of satisfying themselves again. The "new" Bandit 1250 should steal away ALL of those CBF customers. Disappointment is not a strong enough word for this Honda !!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where's the Beef?

Ok, so I expect that the naked motor is going to be "detuned" a bit to make more torque, but a 170+ HP mill that ends up with less than 100 HP on tap? WTF? Did they achieve that by disconnecting two cylinders? And it still peaks out at less the 70 ft-lbs of torque! Less than my old Bandit 1200. On top of that, it has all the style of an old GS500.

My (not so) bold prediction: Keep an eye out for this one at your local Honda dealer. It'll be sitting forlornly in the corner of the showroom, gathering dust.

BikerVince

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great job MO!

In response to my recent post wondering why MO regularly disses Ducati, you guys after much 'what us?' type statements concluded with: "In short, we love Ducatis at MO". And yet here we are not 1 week later and the venerable Ducati name makes it into a ride report.

'Surely you say, when reviewing a naked bike one must compare it with the varsity of naked bikes?'

Alas no, Ducati is only mentioned again as an also ran when mentioning how well the Honda will pull away from stop in 4th gear, how did you put it again? Oh yes I remember:

"without any of the shaking power pulsing and drama that you'd find in, say, a Ducati"

Mum always said, "If you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything." Maybe MO should tear thier clothes as far as Ducati is concerned and you can both go peacefully down your separate paths.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.