Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt washes out of the first round. This could be an interesting year. What are the Vegas odds on Matt doing the double at Barber?

·
Registered
730 Posts
AMA racing grumbles. I'm old and slow and I'm just 28.

Whenever I watch AMA racing, I feel like I suck at riding. Just slow and uneducated. I hate it.

Now, the interesting thing is, I don't get the same feeling of inadequacy when I watch MotoGP or WSB. So why is that? What is it about AMA that makes me feel slow?

That being said, I'm consistently disappointed in AMA racing to the point where I don't even try to watch anymore. It seems to be the same people, year after year, and no one moves on. I don't understand it. The only guy that has moved on is Nicky Hayden. I do not grasp why foreigners come here to race, and are allowed to for extended periods of time. Shouldn't they be in their native countries racing their home circuits, getting prepped to step on the world stage and represent their homeland? I know this isn't the Olympics, but what's the point? If someone can tell me why I'm wrong I'm all ears.

Lastly, why does the filter for this forum say olympics is misspelled, but Olympics isn't? if I spell God as god it doesn't care....

--The Fox

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: AMA racing grumbles. I'm old and slow and I'm just 28.

Whaaa-t did you saaay aboot me beloove-d spoort, fooootball!? You coll it sockerrrrr???

·
Registered
872 Posts

Sorry, forgot to capitalize Football. Futbal, or whatever (my apologies, no uuuumlats here)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I though it was rather impressive that 2 stock Triumph 675's made the field. D&D Cycles/Norseman Racing with Rob McLEndon riding finished 26th and at one point they were 23rd. Agusta Triumph's bike with Steve Breckenridge crashed and still pulled off a 42nd (?) these are in stock trim with only a pipe and suspension mods!

Triumph America had to rush down and pay the homologation fee to the AMA to be legal to race, friggin' sceptics they are. No there won't be any direct factory support either .... oh well.

Screw the big factory teams, these are mom and pop dealers supporting the sport.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

It seems that we and the British Superbike series, which also entertains "foreigners", are one step below World Superbike. We and BSK are a logical stepping stone to World level competition or not a bad living. Any worthwhile series makes ways to allow for any competitive Rider/Driver, the idea being to foster the highest possible level of competition.

"It seems to be the same people, year after year, and no one moves on."

Take a longer view and you will see that many have "moved on" over the years. A relative few earn a good living racing motorcycles, most race at a loss for the passion or the "dream". As far as no one moving on... Go take that factory Ride! When the flag drops the BS stops. All factory racing teams are going to get the best Rider available to them, the Rider being a HUGE part of winning a Motorcycle race.

AMA Superbike should be good this year. I'll also enjoy watching the former AMA Superbike Champion defend his MotoGP World Championship... and WSK too!

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you want to call me a racist...

...via a movie innuendo, just say it to my face. I'm not being a racist here, just nationalist. I resent the idea that you would insinuate or compare me to that rodeo organizer in Texas as well. I certainly didn't say they didn't belong and believe they should come and learn the tracks, but hiding out here is kind of silly, don't you think?

Am I wrong? Is AMA racing not supposed to develop and refine talent for the world championship stage? Should the governing body of our sport not be trying to push to make it bigger and more appealing to spectators, expanding the talent pool, and protecting riders and racers? I feel the same way about this as I do about any international sport, and I don't think I'm out of line.

--The Fox

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: If you want to call me a racist...

I wasn't making any movie innuendos. My attempt at a joke was a silly try at pointing out that the AMA is to MotoGP as American professional soccer is to the World Cup.

Read my craptastic first post as if you have a Sean Connery Scottish accent. I don't get the racist comment at all, but don't those Brits talk funny?

·
Registered
730 Posts
My mistake.

What you said is remarkably close to a line from the movie Borat, when he's talking to this rabid American guy. No offense taken; just a misunderstanding. I look for nuance and meaning in almost everything - sometimes, it's to a fault. Sorry about biting your head off.

--The Fox

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: My mistake.

I remember that scene now. Painfully funny movie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great report. Thanks. There is nothing like the smell of race fuel on a crisp Daytona morning. Its nice to see the bikes out again. I was there and even stayed for most of the FX 200.

I think you hit the nail on the head...this year, Superbike may be predictable, but Supersport and Superstock will be pretty exciting.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.