Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought that the standard layout made for better control in non race track conditions. Yossef's observations bear that out. Ohlins suspension if just icing on the cake. Nice job Yossef.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review Ugly Ducati

"Terblanche's design decisions mean it's a scoot that you either love or hate." That sentence says it all I hate the looks.. Fun read thanks Yossef...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure it's as fine-riding a bike as is on the road today and sounds the business. But why don't I EVER see one on the road? Why, because they are UGLY. Dear gawd, the friggin Lunar Lander was better looking. C'mon Ducati, give the Multistrada a multi-makeover in the looks department. I'd rather ride an old Radian. At least I wouldn't get laughed at.

GOB

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"I'd rather ride an old Radian. "

Hey, I had a Radian. Terrific bike.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
OK, I'm going Googless here. Help me out.

IFAIK, these are Terblanche's designs:

1) Supermono and Desmosedici

2) 999.

3) Multistrada.

4) Supersport.

5) Sport Classics (including that MHR thing).

6) ST

Now, #1 are beauts, but not for street sales. #6 was a subtle redesign of (I believe) someone else's original. Not good, not bad. #2 was a stylistic and sales failure. #4 was a ghastly redesign. #3 - well, I say ghastly, others say funky, sales say "try again." #5 is quite debatable - most folks love 'em, I like them but still think that they're closer to caricatures than homages. And how hard is it to design retro bikes?

So, in numerical order, there's one pair of clear winners, one somewhat-homely failure, one polarizing design with fewer defenders than detractors, one insanely fugly irrelevance (does anyone even talk about these models?), one set of winners (that's leaving my opinion out, since I seem to be alone in this), and one "eh, whatever."

So tell me why Terblanche shouldn't be considered a handicap to Ducati. I'm not saying I'm right, because style is subjective. But the guy's track record for street bikes doesn't seem too impressive (and his biggest street success were the easiest to design.) When I read interviews with the guy, and what the writers say afterwards, it just seems like he's a bigger bullshyt artist than bike artist, and Ducati is as spellbound as the moto press.

I'd love to hear a counterpoint. Again, these are just my opinions. I'm not presenting this as gospel by any means.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my humble opinion my Multi is beautiful and gets better looking every time I ride it. Yossef is spot on when he says it has the ability to embarrass full on sport bikes. I also think my KLR 650 is very pretty.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I hate to admit it but it is hard to get past the looks of this bike, I think it is stylistically schizophrenic. Matching the rear, somehow, with the front would seem the best easy (?) cure. Maybe a luggage rack tail piece (side cases too?) would help the look. I think going back to the drawing board styling wise wouldn't be bad, it sounds like a good bike...

Thanks for the test Yossef. I particularly enjoyed the "half smoked" cigarette one, it is the Best. Helmet on the mirror, leaning against the bike, casual, smilin'...

·
Registered
207 Posts
whether or not motorcycles are supposed to be emotional objects or not, they inevitably become, through the gamut of feelings they call forth, emotional objects.

...attachment, lust, jealously, fear, shame, bliss, excitement, pain, remorse, incontinence (is that an emotion?) ...

to ride a motorcycle is to indulge in the passions that make you human.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Cigarettes

You've never "half-smoked" a cigarette in your life. I wonder if Ducati can get Terblech to design an iron lung?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Good call taking so many pictures of the bike in the dark, by the way.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree, at even close to legal street speeds the Riders control of a "standard" style bike CAN be better than a "sport" style, the slower you're going the bigger the advantage IMHO. Evasive manuvers anyone? As proof I offer the modern Motocross bike or the Tuono. Ever see a Motocrosser or Flattracker with clip-ons for extra speed?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The difference between a racereplica and a bike like this are quite striking when you get out on the often nasty washboarded roads in the Rockies. A supersport is going to be faster in perfect conditions. How often do you have that? I can take you on roads out here that would have you in tears after an hour on a 999 while a Bandit rider would be smiling. One of these looks mighty tempting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is fun to ride. So why aren't they everywhere?

1. It is funny looking.

2. It has desmodromic valve actuatation, a pointless and expensive complication these days.

3. The S version lists for 14 grand.

Three strikes and you are out.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Hmm. Well first off the local Ducati dealer doesn't ever seem to have any bikes left over from the prior year. I'm not sure then what constitutes a 'failure'.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: Cigarettes

On Sunday mornings, Long, Long, ago, in a place Far, Far away (but not too far from you)... frequently. Way worth the nickel "wasted" back then. Hell, the effect is so Cool I'da done it even if I didn't smoke! It's kinda like that after sex smoke... total satisfaction.

PS It's on now! You know you won't be able to keep up with me at Daytona!!!

(in your rental car)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.