Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second that thought. I'm quite curious to see how the new Suzook would stack up against these bikes. From the early reviews, I would have to think it would have done quite well. Good article, nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Pretty narrow focus, Gabe. You could have put the Rocket III in. You could have added the Moto Guzzi Griso and/or the Suzuki M109R. Heck, you could have thrown a real curve ball and tested the Hyosung Cruiser. That little bike holds a 650 v-twin ripoff tha puts out 72 hp at the crank. It's light and looks like it has a pretty good finish. So, in the end the comparo was good and my selection of the bikes tested would have me picking the same winner. But if you would have added any or all of the rides I mentioned the end result would have come out different, I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great writeup with the usual humor, confirming the best choice for my wife (20-yr rider, 5'10", now on an old 1100 4-cyl) is the Mean Streak. No fuss, muss, or bother, and it's fast enough.

But where is the M109? The Rocket III? I'm thinking about a power cruiser for me too. I know you tested them both already - the Rocket III against different competition and the M109 alone - but a comparison in this group hits a target market for the Rocket and THE target market for the M109.

And a minor complaint. I know you're have to make money from ads and I like BMW. But waiting for a page to complete while the BMW ad comes around the corner in an animated ad (admittedly with a fairly old computer) is quite annoying. I can turn the page in a magazine much faster, or choose to look at the ad. I don't like having that control taken away from me. Just a thought for your consideration.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No M109? Whats the point of the shootout if you don't include one of the more critically acclaimed bikes of the last season? I'm sure the people actually interested in these bikes surely would want to know.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Wow, Gabe. It's 8am est and people are ragging you about a bike that your test left out. Bet you hear about this all day. I say you take the M109r story and re-read it then put a side bar in the current article about the bike and how it would have done in this comparo if it went head to head with the bikes. If I remember, you guys liked the bike. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a owner of a 06 V-Max I just want to say I Love my Bike. I added the windscreen holeshot pipes a stage 1 K&N kit and this bike is a rocket.. I find it funny people complain about the brakes and it has the same brakes as the Warrior and those brakes are fine? I take rides through the mountains almost every weekend and the handling is fine. just ask the GSXR and Buell people I ride with they are very impressed with the handling and performance of this bike. I'm always get comments on how this Bike looks so don't underestimate the curb apeal either. I would like to find out in your article how many times the V-max was outrun through the canyons or on the straights. Zero comes to mind.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This should have been more accurately titled "A Random Group of Power Cruisers." The term "shootout" implies a competition. Obviously no effort was made to give a fair shake to the respective manufacturers, or you would have given each a shot at ponying up its strongest contender.

You mention several times (sometimes snidely) the Mean Streak's lack of power compared with the others. Why did you choose the Mean Streak over the Vulcan 2000, the obvious choice for a "shootout"?

Other bikes glaringly absent were the Honda VTX1800, Star Roadliner, Suzuki M109, and Triumph Rocket III.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You can ask me how impressed with it I was. The V-Max is everything they say, and less. I owned one for a year and it has crappy suspension, terrible handling, average brakes, horrible seat, horrendous gas mileage, and a really good motor. For the price of a new Max, you could get a Busa, ZX-14, GSXR 1000, R1, or about 50 other bikes that will beat the crap out of the Max in a straight line, or around any corner, and do so with more comfort and range. It feels every bit of 1985, and maybe even 1980. In fact, it was a bad handling bike in 1985 too. I'm sure you like yours, but you were never outrun in the canyons? You are certainly joking. Rossi would end up in the weeds on it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The VN200 and VTX1800 are not marketed as power cruisers. For that matter, niether is the R III. But there are, arguably, more power cruiser traits about the R III than the VN or VTX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first comment on this forum.....LOVE this site and the articles , dont have to wait for anything in the mail , usually have dyno results......

As posted above though, HOLY COW, how could you forget the M109R in this contest . I agree some others should have been there too , but you have tested them all in the past. From what I recall you have only done a first impression ride of the 109R and no dyno results....

They are making 104-110 rwhp on dynos stock and they have radial mounted GSXR front brakes and a monster 240 rear tire all for around 12,500 or so I think.....with pipes, pcIII and intake some of these are hitting 120-123 rwhp ! That would be "power" ......

You really need a side bar test added with some of this info.... anyway, good test of the bikes you DID include. Great job in general just needed to add a few for this one and take out the not so mean streak.....good bike NOT a power cruiser.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you actualy read what I wrote I asked how many times he was passed in the canyons in the article boy's( buy the bikes in this article). If I wanted a crotch rocket I would have bought one I wanted a power cruiser. if rossi ended up in the weeds he needs to learn how to ride to the bike thats all.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Give 'em a brake! They can't test every bike at the same time. I think the bikes selected were a good representation of power cruisers. Sure the M109 or the Rocket would have been nice, but a seven bike shootout? Come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In any shootout you will always be accused of leaving someone out...but what I love about your shoot out articles is your great reviews of each bike. As an owner of a 06 Street Rod, your reviews of the bike are right on......by the way I love the bike, its not perfect but absolute blast to ride though I did replace the seat with a Corbin, the stock seat sucks.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is the biggest flop in MOs history. If I think of a "Power Cruiser" comparo, what comes to mind?

- Rocket III

- Kawi 2,1

- Honda VTX

- Yamaha Roadliner

- Honda Rune

Of which none were present. Zero. Zilch. Zippo.

For example, why would anyone choose the neutered 1670cc Yam Warrior over the 1854cc Yam Roadliner (with EXUP valve and aluminium frame for cossakes) for a "Power Cruiser" comparo???

- cruiz-euro

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.