Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody i need some help!!! i bought my bike back in may 0f 07. the bike was working perfectly fine, until 2-3 weeks ago. i usually warm up my bike about 5 mins everyday( when its about 90-100 degrees) and start riding. i wasnt aware of changing my first oil change until recently. i got my first oil change at 1500 miles. I KONW STUPID ME. now my bike idles when i warm up, then dies. i figure maybe steady throttle at 3-4 k rpm. still same problem. bike would die on me on neutral. PLEASE HELP

Tommy

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Since it's probably still under warranty, take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out. The great thing about modern motorcycles, is they are just like modern cars in one respect. If it doesn't start, whip out the cell phone and call the tow truck. Don't even bother lifting the hood. There really isn't anything to 'fix' any more.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Sounds like you hardly ever ride it. Maybe the gas in it is old and turning into diesel fuel. I say, take it out and wring the crap out of it, run it almost dry, fill it up and wring it out again.

If it still acts up throw it away and buy a Triumph 675.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
So let's see, the bike was running fine until you changed the oil....hmmmmm...did you change the oil yourself, or have the shop do it? If you changed it yourself, how much oil did you put back in the bike? Sounds like you might of overfilled it, and the breather tube has squrited oil all over that paper air filter, and now it passes about as much air through it as a brick. Check that out and get back to me....

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Geez, how badly can someone f&ck up a simple job like an oil change? :wink:
You'd be surprised Brah, my nitwit neighbor dumped 5 qts. of 10w40 out of his LTD and onto his mug and driveway because he didn't know you needed a drain pan to catch the old oil in. Then he tried to garden hose it down the storm drain...had the fire dept out and everything, fined the sh*t out of him.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Tommy,

I have to think that the issue you're having is coincidental to the oil change. You could put thousands of miles on the original oil and the bike would run; it would just dramatically shorten the engine/tranny's lifespan. Short of the engine siezing, the oil isn't going to cause stalling. Something else is broken or out of adjustment.

Check the airfilter per Mr. Cuddy's response. If it's clean, the other MoFo's are right: take it to the dealer. You paid for that warranty. Use it. And don't mention the oil change interval.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Geez, how badly can someone f&ck up a simple job like an oil change?"

I sold a pristine Baja Bug to a girl at work, who tried to change the oil herself. The next day she came in and told me the engine had quit running, and wondered what she had done wrong. When I asked her how much oil she put in the motor, and if she followed my instructions about keeping the oil level to the top line on the dip stuck, she relpied "Oh, I filled it all the way up, 'till I couldn't put any more in it." She ruined it, broke the piston skirt off number 3 cylinder. Then she told everybody at work I cheated her, and sold her a lemon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.