Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2007 Tokyo Motor Show

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2007 Tokyo Motor Show in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Whooopee I loved that EVO6. Obviously a HD knock off (and why should anyone not buy the original beats me) but hey: a 6 cyl boxer in a streetfighter set up. Hope they dont screw the concept up with overpriced Rune like US only short run but mass produce it to get costs somewhere reasonable. But still what I really really want is a 2nd gen Valk.

Loved the Sakura too but the real men don’t prance around on 1000 cc minibikes anymore. Sorry.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
730 Posts
You are such a douchebag.

You are such a douchebag. You've been crying about how you need a new Valkyrie and how anyone who thinks a Harley is a good bike is a moron for years. I'd have thought a big-shot world traveler like yourself would have thought of something new to say by now. Crap like this is why I never post on this site anymore. That, and the crap new format. But I'm not telling anyone anything new.

If you're going to do satire at least make it comprehensible. Christ, have you been drinking?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Tilt! Tilt!

RED ALERT! RED LERT! DOUCHBAG IS A FORBIDDEN WORD ON M.O. MUST DELETE...beep...MUST DELETE...beep...Must...

Diasy Daisy.....

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
"Just behind the stubby mufflers is a highly-polished aluminum wheel, its seven pairs of spokes exposed to the world by means of a single-sided swingarm - another hint that Honda's stylists are looking at current trends in the aftermarket and the custom bike scene for inspiration."
Uhm, sorry to disagree - but Honda is the one being copied in the "current trends" department - at least so far as a SSSA goes: They've probably had more SSSA production bikes than all-other manufacturers combined, Euro AND Japanese.

Now, so far as the stubby/under-engine muffler - that too is a late-'80s Honda design-exercise.

What's truly pathetic about Honda is - they're copying styles that are copying THEMSELVES, in their heyday.

Sad, so damn sad......

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Hey man - how you been? Any luck on your stolen ZX?

Insurance cover it, and if so - what are you planning on replacing with the settlement? (if anything)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
BMW had the first production SSA's that I know of in the 80's K models. About the only thing Honda innovated was selling 50 million step thru 90's world wide. After Soichiro croaked Honda's innovation went into building Accords.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Going over the top, I see.

BMW had the first production SSA's that I know of in the 80's K models. About the only thing Honda innovated was selling 50 million step thru 90's world wide. After Soichiro croaked Honda's innovation went into building Accords.
Glenlivets today? Bushmills?

Give Honda credit for a few things. The CB750 was purtty innovative. And just building 150cc motorcycles that would run coast to coast without mechanical failure.... while HD and Britbike owners were wrenching and cursing.... well that was pretty innovative. Can't knock Honda's GP battles with Yamaha in the 60's... probably the most exciting GP racing ever.

But, since Soichiro passed on it's pretty obvious that committes are running the Honda show now. Which is why Honda is about as about as innovative as HD these days.

But, I can't complain too much. The current crop of bikes are probably the greatest selection of quality merchandise industry-wide in history. Too bad the US market is overwhelmed with underwhelming sameaslastyearafteryearafteryear cookiecutteur race replicas and cruisers.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'm not beating-time for the Honda Band here - I just happened to be amused by the inference that Honda was copying "current trends".

Have you ever compared the Triumph SSSA to the Honda Hawk's? The eccentric is interchangeable - no shyte. With only a small spacer, you can put the entire "guts" of a '90s Triumph rear into an '80s Hawk (or '80s/'90s VFR750/early VFR800) swingarm: eccentric, brake, wheel, etc.

I doubt any Honda SSSA parts will interchange with the BMW shaft-drive.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I believe in credit where credit's due, Honda did come out with the single overhead cam 750 first, then Kawasaki trumped them a year later with the Double overhead cam, double disc Z1. Honda came out with a six cyclinder production bike...... right after Benelli...

Honda's put out some nice bikes like the Cub that own the third world transportation market. But I think the only real innovation they had was to split the crankcase horizontally instead of verticaly, everything else has been typical Japanese refinment of an existing design. Suzuki and Kawasaki have consistantly pushed the envelope from the start with bikes like the Bighorn, Z1, GT750 and RE5

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Dang.

I believe in credit where credit's due, Honda did come out with the single overhead cam 750 first, then Kawasaki trumped them a year later with the Double overhead cam, double disc Z1. Honda came out with a six cyclinder production bike...... right after Benelli...

Honda's put out some nice bikes like the Cub that own the third world transportation market. But I think the only real innovation they had was to split the crankcase horizontally instead of verticaly, everything else has been typical Japanese refinment of an existing design. Suzuki and Kawasaki have consistantly pushed the envelope from the start with bikes like the Bighorn, Z1, GT750 and RE5
I didn't know it was the Kawasaki Goldwing and the Suzuki CX500! Thanks for the info.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I'll grant you the 1000 GW was a new design but what's so innovative about the CX500? all they did was stick a water jacket on a Guzzi' and add electronic ignition. They tough little scooters no doubt, If Honda had any sense they'd still be making them. With todays gas prices they'd probably sell like popcorn at the movies.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm all right. Insurance covered the ZX-14 and gave me a check for $2.44. I went out and scrounged up a 1998 Triumph T-Bird Sport for $3500. Low miles, but it has issues. It's kind of nice having an elemental motorcycle. It gets me groceries and around town. I don't worry about scratching it because it's already scratched.

I'm in college and I hate it. Corps wants me back; I may do a reserve thing. Who knows. How's everything in your neck of the woods? Still have your FZ6?

--The Fox

P.S. Why am I no longer a premium founding member? Not like it matters but I'm curious.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll grant you the 1000 GW was a new design but what's so innovative about the CX500? all they did was stick a water jacket on a Guzzi' and add electronic ignition. They tough little scooters no doubt, If Honda had any sense they'd still be making them. With todays gas prices they'd probably sell like popcorn at the movies.
Remember how Honda corporate believes the V-Twin was an inherently inferior design? Plus the turbo thing sucked; I think that pos****ed the image.

--The Fox

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Heh heh.

I'm all right. Insurance covered the ZX-14 and gave me a check for $2.44. I went out and scrounged up a 1998 Triumph T-Bird Sport for $3500. Low miles, but it has issues. It's kind of nice having an elemental motorcycle. It gets me groceries and around town. I don't worry about scratching it because it's already scratched.

I'm in college and I hate it. Corps wants me back; I may do a reserve thing. Who knows. How's everything in your neck of the woods? Still have your FZ6?

--The Fox

P.S. Why am I no longer a premium founding member? Not like it matters but I'm curious.
Hate college, eh? Don't like being surrounded by the "brightest and best" who know everything even though they've never actually been anywhere or done anything?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.