Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Can-Am Spyder Test

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Can-Am Spyder Test in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Interesting that they can bring it in at less weight than an ST1300. Sort of like a street legal go-cart. This thing would be a hoot to ride around on.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Can-Am

I know some of you "purist" will balk, but there's reasoning in this thing. It will attract new and old riders. Newbies will love the ease of use theory behind the thing. Oldies (those that gave up tour-bikes because of weight) will find a valid reason to hit the road again. You can't buy a triked 'Wing or FLH for this price anywhere. I'm 41 and my daughter loves riding with me. Problem is, she's 9 and her feet don't actually touch the pegs. It limits us to "short" rides for safety sake. My wife hates the fact that I ride hard in cornering (even two-up). The stability control system will allow me to ride hard but will keep the Spyder planted. And if ANYONE is wondering- Almost every motorcycle insurance company out there has put the thing in a "sport-tour" category. So, premiums for the 35 and up crowd will be great.
Kirk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I suppose the tires are "car" tires judging from the size- 165/65R14s in the front and a 225/50 R15 in the rear. This means snow tires would be a possibility.

I would have to have the heated seat and heated grips.

Nanook of the North!

Does Alpinestars make Mukluks?

·
Registered
421 Posts
"Any big-picture-loving 20-something who writes a letter complaining about the lack of BIG pictures in a motorcycle website is missing the point. Sure, you probably like clicking on small pictures and making them big and it’s but an oversight that sees you without a website with big pictures, but there are many riders out there who are less optically able to handle your *****in’ big pictures or the ability to choose to make small pictures big with a click, whether a physically challenged war vet or a petite woman."

As we say here...There, fixed that'n for ya.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It looks like a hell of a lot of fun, but despite owning half the motorcycles made in the last 20 years, I just don't see myself buying one. However renting one might be a hoot, and I'd bet they'd do a fair amount of business that way. I'm thinking their main market is going to be folks who have wanted to ride a motorcycle but are too intimidated for one reason or antoher. Would love to see some actual performance data; dyno results, 1/4 mile, 0-60, track speeds (especially compared to comparable bikes in the price range). I know it's not performance that will be the primary sales driver, I'm just curious.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Well, look out

Would love to see some actual performance data; dyno results, 1/4 mile, 0-60, track speeds (especially compared to comparable bikes in the price range).
Because this thing is just tailor made for some airfoils to hold the tires down at high speed. It might just get g forces greater than 1.0 and out corner some race replicas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a chance to ride one of these a few months ago at a bike show, and I'm pretty sure I will be putting one in my garage. This thing is an absolute BLAST to ride. My last bike was a HawkGT, but after my wife came along riding solo lost some of it's amusement, and after my baby came along the reality of being bumper bait kinda sunk in. Long story short, I gave up the Hawk and it's been a few years since I've ridden, and I miss it.

When she saw the spyder, and it's passenger seat, my wife immediately said she'd love to ride one with me, and the ABS/computer/TCS etc make the ride that much safer. The thought of touring PCH on this is very alluring, and it's a HECK of a lot of fun to boot.

I've seen a lot of kvetching from 'purists' on various forums, but frankly, that type of snobbery just has no effect on me anymore... Instead of whining about something you have no experience with, BRP is being very accomodating in giving test rides. Try it, if you don't dig the 80mph snowmobile on pavement, then get back on your 2 wheel and leave the rest of us alone.

Did I mention that this thing is a FREAKIN' BLAST to ride?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Me too!

I got the chance to test ride one last weekend. What a blast!

I was sceptical, as it reminded me of a street going quad, and I HATE quads.

BRP's biggest hurdle is the fact that the thing requires a motorcycle license in most states. They are trying to market to non riders more than us.

I told the engineers that they should offer an optional brake lever for us moto types. It would be easy to rig up.

Try one! You'll love it!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Wonder if they offer...

...the cripple version, where they velcro tape your ass to the seat, so you don't slide aroud...I might be interested. How do you shift it? Like a Motorcycle?

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
"Any big-picture-loving 20-something who writes a letter complaining about the lack of BIG

"Snip"

with a click, whether a physically challenged war vet or a petite woman."

As we say here...There, fixed that'n for ya.
I think you just don't see the "Big Picture". :roll:

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Yes, it shifts like a bike. No brake lever, though, just a brake pedal on the right.
I believe a clever person could overcome these so-called "limitations".

I also believe mscuddy is just a bit more than merely "clever".

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
"I've seen a lot of kvetching from 'purists' on various forums, but frankly, that type of snobbery just has no effect on me anymore."

What I can't figure out is why anyone would compare this vehicle to a motorcycle to begin with. Talk about "apples and oranges." It's like comparing a 4X4 pickup to a 2 seater sports car. Why would you? You pick the one that's right for your purposes and move on.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A Beetle nose screwed to a bike? Good Lord. For those who love riding a bike but aren’t able to. Maybe if I lose my legs in an accident I’ll consider one too. Make that both legs and a hand.

- cruiz-euro

1 - 20 of 65 Posts