Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Can-Am

I know some of you "purist" will balk, but there's reasoning in this thing. It will attract new and old riders. Newbies will love the ease of use theory behind the thing. Oldies (those that gave up tour-bikes because of weight) will find a valid reason to hit the road again. You can't buy a triked 'Wing or FLH for this price anywhere. I'm 41 and my daughter loves riding with me. Problem is, she's 9 and her feet don't actually touch the pegs. It limits us to "short" rides for safety sake. My wife hates the fact that I ride hard in cornering (even two-up). The stability control system will allow me to ride hard but will keep the Spyder planted. And if ANYONE is wondering- Almost every motorcycle insurance company out there has put the thing in a "sport-tour" category. So, premiums for the 35 and up crowd will be great.
Kirk

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Bi- isn't just for cycles and co-eds. Things evolve. Just 'cause the thing has three wheels dosn't mean crap in todays market. Why do I say this? You "geeks" out there go to the US patent website and type in Harley three wheel patent application. YEP!, you will see a patent for HD that is a cross between the MP3 and the Spyder. SO- when HD starts rolling Full Dressers out the door with three wheels in 2-4 yrs are you "purist" going to start ragging on and stop buying HD products? Didn't think soooooo......... Remember, you "purist" whined when water-cooled bikes came around and look at the scene today. Even HD followed. Evolution is not a bad thing. Some of you neanderthals (sp?) need to step into the 21st century- think innovation. Can-Am did.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Agreed. However

Even accepting your basic argument, a three wheeler is not an evolution of a two-wheeled vehicle.
I never said it was an evolution of a two-wheeled vehicle. I was referring to the evolution of the Motorcycle industry. No one ever said that motorcycles were limited to two wheels. The term motorcycle should not be limited to "motored-bicycle". Just becasue you can trike a "Wing" or a FLH doesn't make it less of a "cycle". When the DOT accepts quads as street legal (it will happen) don't you think that they will be considered "cycles" by DOT rules? I do. Now imagine the new Yamaha Raptor 700 with dot lights and street tires. It may be wide, but supermoto junkies everywhere would love thins idea. Current "sport atv" models in the 500-700cc range can easily hold 60-75mph speeds. All of this but yeat- it's still a cycle.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
People only associate motorcycles to two wheel because it's what they've been taught. As far as I'm conserned, if it's "open-aired", handle-bar ridden and doesn't come with door frames then it could qualify. The MP3 isn't less of a scooter, Boss Hoss trikes are no less of motorcycle, the T-Rex (unless in the insurance world) is considered a motorcycle by most DMV (and it has a steering wheel). So, why limit it to such a narrow scope. Jeep made the first SUV, effectively. For 40 yrs people called anything that looked like a Jeep a Jeep not SUV. Then it all changed around 1985 and the SUV was it's own class. Before that they were just trucks. Why not broaden the meaning? Couldn't hurt the riding base any.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Luckily for the English language the definitions of the words are not changed whenever some great idea pops into somebody's head. Wikipedia says "A motorcycle or motorbike is a single-track, two-wheeled motor vehicle powered by an engine." Well put. By adding handlebars you'd turn riding elephants and river barges to motorcycles, according to your definition.

- cruiz-euro
You're quoting a source that can be edited by anyone to reflect anything they want. Also, I said motorized- didn't I? If not it was intended. So, if a bike is a single-track, two-wheeled vehicle you have just eliminated the ENTIRE trike riding class by your narrow definition. Don't you think these "motorcyclist" would have a issue with that?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Luckily for the English language the definitions of the words are not changed whenever some great idea pops into somebody's head. Wikipedia says "A motorcycle or motorbike is a single-track, two-wheeled motor vehicle powered by an engine." Well put. By adding handlebars you'd turn riding elephants and river barges to motorcycles, according to your definition.

- cruiz-euro
BTW- your English Language "words are not changed" referrence: Ask someone the definition of racist (as used in today's context). Bet it is NOT what Websters printed decades ago. There are many words that are used in today's society that only vaguely resemble their original meanings. Not to mention the fact that there are words added to dictionaries every year that previous generations of educated people would have scoffed at if ask if they should be included into such dictionaries.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
HA, HA!! That's funny. I'm good with it. Hurry, someone put it into Wiki.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts