Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Ducatis: First Look

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Ducatis: First Look in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh Christ, the new Monster. Who can I address this to at Ducati, my most favorite of all manufacturers, who made the only bike I wish I could have back, the Monster 750?

WHAT IN THE NAME OF CHRIST WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!!?! AGGAGGAGAGGAHHHH!!!?!??!

Man, that thing...jeez. Really. It looks like a 1920's era steel I-beam of ugly fell on it.

What's wrong? The cans. The pipes to the cans. The lame headlight. I shouldn't knock the frame because I'll bet it's improved, but it doesn't look as nice. The lines are totally ****ed; nothing flows. What a shame.

The other bikes will sell buckets. They should just discontinue the Monster and sell small displacement SportClassics for a few years. I'll bet you couldn't keep a 695 Sport or GT695 on a sales floor if you chained an anchor to it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
disappointed

wow. the new monster 696 is, je ne sais quoi... fugly.

the beauty of the 695 and predecessors was the "industrial italian" look, and attempting to bring organic "flow" to the design... when i free associate, the words poop, gimmick, plastic, etc. come to mind.

i suppose i was just expecting a more incremental (read: classic) design step than this.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Expect record sales again for 08

The 848 will sell like hot cakes. Saw it coming last year when I was working for ATD. The M696 is the treat. All it's brothers should be just as exciting next year. The exhaust looks a little funny but what do you expect with the new emissions rules. I like it. There are new colors for the GT bike, as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
New MonSTAR

I think all Ducati needs to do is paint the rear section on the new monster. It sticks out too much now b/c it is all shiny aluminum. A nice matte black finish and that section will blend right in smoothly like it looks like it was designed to do.

- B

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Aliens battle for control of earth

Ducati 696 vs. Robot monster

Separated at birth?

Will the winner defeat the Victory Vision? Will the Honda EVO6 join the fray? When will the FZ1 make its move?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Ducati is certainly hitting plenty of home runs these days with those obsolete Vtwins.

I'm with Yosef on the subframe. The cast aluminum looks out of place but I'll bet it was done for cost. Remember the old SV650 with the purty welded tube frame? The 2nd generation made due with a cast frame.

The Monster's subframe is certainly Buellish. Does everyone copy Buell these days? ;-)

·
Registered
540 Posts
It had to be hard to do that to the Monster. Still not the worst looking bike out there, but 10 steps in that direction I'm afraid. So the 1098R is 1200 cc's, man that's gonna get confusing. I should probably buy one just to keep the brain fresh. Boss, are our bonus' gonna cover $40K after taxes. No, maybe next year then?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I don't get it with the Monster. It's fugly; this year and previous years too. The "entry level roadster" for $13k doesn't make sense to me either.
$13k is the 848 Superbike price. M695 were $7900 last yr. I bet they keep in check this year, too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
media quotes

from CW: the monster 696 will be priced "...10-15 percent higher than the $7995 Monster 695, which will still be sold in 2008."

"[ducati] is debt-free as of last quarter."

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
That new monster is a mess from the side / tail side. looks ok from the front but the fat swing arm, clashing with the fat subframe and the fat exhausts and what looks to be a porky pillion cover makes for an ugly monster. Guess its getting closer to its name. I hope it looks better in the flesh.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Maybe they were going for the S3 ugly-is-neat kind of look. Didn't work.

That headlight really screws the pooch. The bike looks like it is run head first into a wall before it leaves the factory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.