Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Looking at all the data and reviews of modern litre bikes I would have to conclude that the CBR finally made it to the top of the heap. If I were in the market for a new sportbike this would be it. However, at 6 ft and 260lbs, I am not built for todays modern sportbike. Guess I'll wait 'til I can find a K1200s in the same price range but aged nicely.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wow more better. Who was looking for that 0.002% increase? Now to find some risers, lower the pegs and some hard bags :), just kidding. I'm not in the market either, but it is neat.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Looking at all the data and reviews of modern litre bikes I would have to conclude that the CBR finally made it to the top of the heap. If I were in the market for a new sportbike this would be it. However, at 6 ft and 260lbs, I am not built for todays modern sportbike. Guess I'll wait 'til I can find a K1200s in the same price range but aged nicely.
At 6' 260, you can't really blame it on the bike, bro. Mix in a salad or two.

Of course you do live in the south, even the lettuce is fried there! ;-)

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
"Ever since the Ducati 916 debuted in 1994, routing an exhaust system underneath a seat was seen as the coolest way to do it. It left the rear wheel nicely exposed, and it forever prevented ground clearance issues with mufflers. Eventually, all the Japanese OEMs except Suzuki tried this arrangement on various sportbike models.

Meanwhile, about the time of the Ducati's unveiling,
rik Buell was developing Harley-engined sportbikes with their mufflers mounted under their engines. How odd, we all thought.

Well, Mr. Buell must have several "I-told-you-so" moments in the past few years. Variations on the under-engine exhaust theme have been riffed on by Yamaha, Suzuki and now Honda.
Re-he-he-ally? You absotively sure 'bout dat? :confused:

http://www.hawkgt.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/10185/Hawk1-med.jpg

It's been repainted, but I seem to recall that'n bein' an '88.........

:cool:

On a happy note: Real Damn Good article, I'm really enjoying the Vids you guys are including with these.

Good Job!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
That doesn't look like a stock Hawk exhaust to me.
How many stock or otherwise Hawks have you seen? Would you like more photos? I've a NOS (not "NAWZ", you jokers!) exhaust-canister sitting in my Office at home.

That's a stocker (the exhaust). I'll stand on that.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Quite a few, actually. Two of my friends own them right now.
Literally, dozens of my friends own them. On two Continents. Right now. (and more owned them in the past)

Also, I have four of them: some stock, some not.

I still stand on the statement that the photo depicts a stock HawkGT exhaust.

·
Registered
730 Posts
NEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDD! HAWK NERD! HAWKNERDHAWKNERDHAWKNERD!

You are a rabid Hawk nerd. But that's you thing, so it's all good.

--The Fox

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
NEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDD! HAWK NERD! HAWKNERDHAWKNERDHAWKNERD!

You are a rabid Hawk nerd. But that's you thing, so it's all good.

--The Fox
Ah, you know me too well! Where's my Hawket-Protector......? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great write up on the new CBR. Best one I've read by far and I actually learned something more about it than "it makes more power and is lighter"- which btw is just fine.

Some years (seems to be every 3 or 4) the RR's do actually break ground and do something more than just reduce weight and increase power. This seems to be one of those years. One is a slipper clutch that has a lighter pull and is lighter in weight and appears to work as well or better than any released yet. Two is the new can design and placement- less weight, optimal power mapping, emissions friendly, and low centralized mass. It's making it even more silly to replace your stock pipe these days (although I love the replacement cost of the "old day" stock pipes off ebay- nearly brand new and a small fraction of the cost of new or an upgrade. Hopefully the squids continue their behavior to replace their stock can immediately regardless of how good it actually is). But I think the thing that stands out and makes this year’s bike a significant upgrade is the focus on making it smooth to ride- or transition control as you referred to it. For anyone who buys these things primarily for the track it's a big deal. The Idle Air Control Valve and Ignition Interrupt Control seem to really work from what I've read here and elsewhere. Although MO is the first place I read about the Ignition Interrupt Control working only up to 6000rpm. Did Honda elaborate on that?

First the then new ZX-10R and its "it's not traction control" traction control system and now the Honda with its engine management gizmo's. Let's face it, the majority of us are mere mortals and could use a little help controlling (and therefore enjoying more) these beasts.

Anyhow, nice write up and a great vid as well.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re-he-he-ally? You absotively sure 'bout dat? :confused:

http://www.hawkgt.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/10185/Hawk1-med.jpg

It's been repainted, but I seem to recall that'n bein' an '88.........

:cool:

On a happy note: Real Damn Good article, I'm really enjoying the Vids you guys are including with these.

Good Job!
The wheel has to be reinvented periodically I guess. I think the manufacturers just change back and forth every few years so they can call it 'new and improved'.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Looks like Honda finally took the gloves off. Hopefully this bike will make the AMA Superbike a bit more competitive, but they have their work cut out for them on that one. As a street bike, it probably isn't any better than the last 4 iterations of their liter bikes. Speed limits and all that.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
At 6' 260, you can't really blame it on the bike, bro. Mix in a salad or two.

Of course you do live in the south, even the lettuce is fried there! ;-)
You'd think it's bad food, but in reality it's exercise. Anyway, I haven't been under the 215 mark since high school. Otherwise, it's a style thing. I like sport tour bikes and othe various rides. I'm not the type of guy that prefers the "racers crouch". If Honda would bring back the CBR F series with the same motor.......

·
Registered
159 Posts
mmmm, tasty.

Informative write-up. Something in the pale bull yall drink when testing makes yer articles good.
Frankly, tho- i expected somewhere after 2000 that Big H would pull a R1, or GXRK1 out their Proud Arse, and simply blow away The Groveling Competitors.
The overall stakes changed, i guess. If i were hell-bent for new liter, this would be my Choice To Beat.
..this from a Yammy lover.
Again, nice test, and cant wait for Big Four to rout exhaust up over pilots head in 2016.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts