Motorcycle Forums banner

2008 Kawasaki ZX-14: First Ride

13K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Kevin_Duke 
#1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14: First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14: First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

#3 ·
I have been checking these things out and my drivers license is starting to quiver at the thought. It barely survived the Busa experience. If I was in the market for another bike (I am), I would seriously consider this one (I will). After seeing the review, it's going to take all the willpower I have not to go buy one. I got the junkie shakes just watching Duke run those 9's!! Do I really need one of these guys??

#6 ·
Nice job, Kevin an' Crew - the added vids are an unexpected bonus.

You guys must be workin' yer fingers off..........

#7 ·
Nice write up Kevin!! What an exciting time to be in the market for a new scoot. I am in the market for a big comfy/sporty ride and really like this thing. This bike called me down to the local Kawi Dealer and I was really impressed with the Midnight Blue version...Its awesome in person...Now if only I can get wifey to understand why my 600 should be relegated to track day sorties....

#14 ·
It's weird because the Connie won the Motorcyclist test and didn't do so well in other shootouts. It all depends on what criteria you use to judge em I guess. I think that new Connie would be a sweet ride, and I am seriously considering the 14. I'm going to make a go for the Bandit, because it's the smart move. If that falls through, I'm getting a black 14. It's in the cards.

#18 ·
Good writeup. I've had an 06 ZX14 for a year now and 12.6k miles. I love that bike. It's a lot of fun in the twisties in the mountains and you never need to be bored. I know it's a drag racer and I don't care about that. It's great as a sportbike and can be used for touring if you don't mind the slightly agressive ergos.

I've also had a C14 for a couple of months now and love it as well (6.5k miles). It's a great and comfortable tourer and also fun in the twisties.

I'm hoping for a comparison by MO soon on the C14 vs. FJR, ST, and a comparo of ZX14 and Busa.

I've bought several bikes based on reviews and comparisons by MO in the past. MO has always been objective (as can be reasonably expected) and accurate.

#19 ·
>I'm hoping for a comparison by MO soon on the C14 vs. FJR, ST,
>and a comparo of ZX14 and Busa.

I second that. FJR has had a big impact in Europe. In Finland it was best selling bike for two years running, of all models and sizes. Group of people from my club ride to across the continent to Estoril Portugal every year, two thirds of them ride FJRs and pretty much the rest are planning to buy it.

- cruiz-euro

#20 ·
The older I get the more Luddite my outlook becomes. god knows what I'll be like when I get as old as Dr. Seruzwa....

I look at bikes like the Connie, ZX14 and FJR, then I look at the average bike mechanic in Japanese dealerships and I just cringe. If I can't work on it, and I have a hard time trusting them to work on it, I guess we just better hope they're reliable.

At least most BMW mechanics are extensivly trained and you can usually find at least one good indy Harley shop in town for anything I can't handle. A blind man with a rock and a cresent wrench can work on 1 st. and 2nd gen. Bandits so I'm good there.....

At least the new ones are cool to look at...

#22 ·
Sweet lookin' bike. Dig the slots in the fairing, very shark-like. Nice to know they can produce a bike with crazy horsepower that's still docile when you want it to be. No replay of the cursed H2750 Triple Kawanker.

#24 ·
I don't care how fast the boat anchor is.......it's still a boat anchor.
Yes, but what other anchor could drag the Nimitz out to sea?..............

#27 ·
fantastic bike, I have an '07 that i bought simply because I'm a tall/big guy and needed a bike that 'fit' me without excuses and chose the 14 just because it was 'new' and the busa wasnt. I'm not a loyalist to any brand in particular so belong to no 'camp' but this is my first kawi.

I spent years shoehorning myself onto ever shrinking repli-racers and although I love them always struggled with ergo/comfort issues and the never-ending march toward smaller, more compact, lighter is doing a fellow like myself no favors. This bike has turned out to be such a wonderful machine to own, speed (low and high), performance, and comfort. A superb all-rounder you can chill and cruise, it asserts itself very respectably in the twisties and handles distance/highway duties superbly. It has thus far proven as solid as a ball peened hammer, pretty turnkey. For myself, satisfaction of ownership is as absolute as with any bike I've ever had. Does run somewhat toasty though but has never overheated on me.

with the small extras that the '08's have introduced it can only add to owner satisfaction. If you are like myself and enjoy high performance and have come to appreciate comfort but are not a member of the spec war scene or a factory zealot ( I might be if my uncles or grandpa's name were 'suzuki' or 'kawasaki') you will find that this is a stellar motorcycle that offers 'total' satisfaction and high capabilities for the varied riding scenarios us owners have to contend with over time from the mundane to the extreme.

#29 ·
ZX14-brilliant!

As a current owner of an 07 ZX14, I cannot sing the praises of this bike enough.

Firstly, it really could be a beginners bike the handling is neutral and the power delivery totally linear...you'd just best be holding on after 5000rpm.

Second, it's comfortable, I have degenerative disc disease and two crushed vertebrae and I can ride this bike all day.

Third and most important it can be any bike you want, you want to putt around all day-no problem, you want to go touring-throw on a set of saddle bags and go. Want to tear up some twisties, put on a leather suit and hang off it. Want to embarrass some Hayabusas, head down to the strip.

It's an awesome machine.

#31 ·
I am extremely happy with my 2008 Special Edition ZX14. I have owned it for about a month and I realized what a wise decision I made when I went to the first meet down here in Orlando and see 600 + bikes parked. I felt good being the only 2008 SE there out of 5 14’s. Out of the 600 + bikes there you had about 250 busa. Don’t get me wrong I like the busa and sat on the 2008 just to make up my mind on buying the 14. I just didn’t want to have what everyone else has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.