Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
I think the point made about most any average Joe being able to go out and buy a motorcycle that will kick any car's ass, hard, is a good one. Motorcycles are an equalizer on the streets, and I like that. Why, just the other day, I embarrassed the **** out of some hoser in a Corvette Z06 with my liitle old VStrom. He probably could have gotten me at top end, but light to light he lost. On the other hand, with great power comes great responsibility. And thus, I felt bad about racing that guy for at least, um, ok, I didn't feel bad about it at all. But I would have if I'd been caught, so that's a good thing.

Is it just me, or is sport bike styling a lot like women's clothes? Seems like all the designers have the same new outfits every season. This is the year of the < shape along the front of the bike, a swoop to the back from top to middle and then a swoop to the front from middle to the bottom. VStroms are not fashion slots.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
I apologize! Clearly, if you look beyond the first word of my post, you will see that I actually DID have a comment pertinent to the article. Feel free to moderate if you DO NOT believe in the first amendment to the US constitution.

FYI, I was being sarcastic. I was paying homage to all those useless "first" posts of yore that never say anything with regard to the review. At least I offered an opinion about the bikes in question. Whereas, other posers... oops, I meant posters did not.

(open sarcasm) Like it really matters who is first!! (close sarcasm) And if it really doesn't matter, then what's all the fuss about?!
Try adding something like: "Those filthy Germans and their filthy Tuetonic ways." on every new article for a while. It breaks up the monotony.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Actually, none of them. I tend to like naked bikes. I do appreciate the looks of the 1098 and (rather more) Triumph's 675. I think the Suzuki's appearance is atrocious - the style it has engendered IMO is the "Bangle butt" of motorcycles. But style is subjective and I'm not the typical buyer for those bikes, so I do my best to ignore them (and their riders). ;)
What are the odds? I like naked girls. Ok, not all of them, but a lot of them.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
What is BS about global warming is that it is attributed purely to man. Just if ice age and desertification of Sahara never happened.

- cruiz-euro
And the billions of tons of CO2 that are being released daily by fossil fuel combustion couldn't possibly effect the climate. What were those stupid scientists thinking????

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Ken-
Call the office- 1
No doubt all the SUVs traveling throught the 14th century were the cause of that warming period, too? Face it, we all need to be better stewards of this planet but when looking at statistical data over the last century there has only been an increase of 1 degree in average temp readings during that time. I'm not saying we shouldn't make an effort in cleaning our air, but the Earth's atmosphere is resilient and obsorbs the CO2 like the seas obsorb the oil that seeps from the ocean floors.- 2
Due to your unwillingness to deal with the critical environmental issue of our lifetimes, I must offically cancel my insurance with your black-hearted agency.

Now where's the number for that cute little lizard....

PS: 1 - I called your office. You didn't answer.
2 - I called your cell. You didn't answer.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
None of the anthropogenic global warming skeptics here have given any cogent criticism of climate change science. Instead, the have employed naive arguments about ice ages, etc. under the assumption that these issues have not already been considered by practicing, PhD-degreed scientists in the field.

Do you also give pointers on track technique to Freddie Spencer?

Educate yourself.

I agree with the others that the arms race in liter bikes is for the fanboys. Let the tech trickle down from the racers to bikes most of us can actually exploit.
Regarding the trickle down point, I remember when the first VMax came out with around 100hp. People were saying that it was too much; who could safely use power like that on a motorcycle, and similar remarks. Now, 100hp is fairly common and almost mundane; due to improved chassis, suspensions, tires, brakes, etc. I still think Suzook's ABC switch is dopey, but Ducati is selling real live (and they call it what it is) Traction Control.

Oh, on a side note, remember all the discussion on MC.com about why Kawi wouldn't call traction control traction control (they call it ignition interruption or something)? They are afraid of being sued and all that? I bought a new Mini Cooper last week. It has Dynamic Stability Control, All Season Traction Control, and Corner Braking Control to keep the overzealous or careless driver out of trouble. The manual addressed these systems brilliantly:

"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC, ASC, and CBC. An appropriate driving style always remains the responsibility of the driver. Avoid using the additional safety margin provided by these systems as an excuse for taking unnecessary risks."

Gee, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Well well well. At last, somebody else joins the discussion who thinks that maybe scientists who've spent their lifetime studying climatology might know something more about it than Rush Limburger. It's a pleasure to have you here, Mr. Somnus. Please feel free to counter the many "it's all just an ego trip for Al Gore" and "it's all just a pinko Liberal plot to take gun-totin' SUV's away from good 'ol boys" posts you'll find here. I hope your typing skills are up to the task; you'll stay busy if you do.

About tools: sometimes I buy tools for no other reason than because they are so cool it makes me want to use them. I spent a ridiculous amount on a black chrome, gold etched socket set. I actually ask my friends to let me install their accessories just so I can get them out of their burled walnut veneer, micro-fiber lined case and work with them.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
The_Airhawk,

We have ice cores that go back 650,000 years (less accurate proxies further back) and solar flux variation has been ruled out as a cause of the current warming trend.

All I'm saying is that before deriding something as "Kool-Aide," maybe you should know your sh*t first. (Yes, I realize I'm saying this to people on the Internet ...)
So, there your have it, Somnus. Logic and reason, sources and facts, met with the intellectual grace of a pack of hyenas snarling over a rotting zebra corpse. Nobody will actually read the materials you reference, nobody will respond in kind to your points. They'll just attack you personally, talk about how hot it is on Mars and how it used to be hotter or colder here on Earth...etc. The problem for them is, to accept Global Warming would mean accepting the idea that what they're doing now might have to change. That the US may actually have to cooperate with other nations. That the environment and the ecology, those evil Liberal plots, might actually matter.

I'm not saying don't try if you want to, just don't expect anyone to actually respond to you in any sort of rational way.

PS: If you're wondering, the K-Kook and Seattle references are in regard to a previous frequent poster who could barely compose a coherent sentence.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
LR, I'm not going down this road with y'all yet again. Been there, done that, got the callouses on my fingertips. I'm simply explaining to the new guy what's going on. Seems like a nice enough guy (or gal, I guess) but I suspect he/she had no idea what was going to come of those posts. Maybe "pack of hyenas" was a little strong...

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Kenneth,

One only hopes some motorcycle-related signal gets through the noise in the future. If the moderators want to nut up instead of contributing lame-ass comments themselves, they can enforce a moto-only comment policy with no ad hominem.

QUOTE]

Have to part ways with you there. Even though I don't agree with 90% of the political/social views here, I'm happy to read them, and on occasion, do the back and forth. As long as everybody knows it's done with no genuine malice, which I believe to be the case.

There's plenty of room to talk about penis enlargement and HD chrome. Ok, bad example, but you get my drift.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
You DO know what separates a PhD from the REST of the Great Unwashed, don't you?

(other than they spent a pile of money for a three-letter appendix to their name, and drank the Left-Wing Kool-Aide)
My Dad got his Doctoral degree at the University of Florida in the mid 1970's. His first attempt to get it was at the University of Miami. He received a grant for the UM program based on work he'd done in South Carolina with learning-impaired students. Unfortunately, when we first arrived in Miami, we were dead broke. So, for about a month, the 4 of us had to live in a small motel room; waiting for the first grant check to come in. Dad got up every day and went and did day-labor jobs to earn enough for us to eat. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner consisted of bread and milk on several occasions. Dad stalled the hotel manager on the rent, and eventually the grant money came in and we were able to rent a small house near the University. For reasons I never knew, Dad failed to get his degree at UM. However, he did manage to get a job at the new State school: Florida Technological University, which later became the University of Central Florida.. We moved to the Cocoa Beach area, and he started commuting about 45 miles a day to work there.

After he began work at UCF, Dad enrolled in the Doctoral program at the University of Florida in Gainesville. For about 3 years, Dad's schedule consisted of leaving the house by 6am to get to his full-time job at UCF. Then he would leave that campus after work, and drive the 2 hours to Gainesville to attend his Doctoral classes. Classes ran till 9 or 10 pm, and Dad got home well after 1 am. He eventually got his degree, and earned the title: Dr. Kenneth T. Moore, Ed.D. which is essentially a PhD for people in the Education field.

Dad grew up very poor in the Denver area. He was a WWII vet, and used the GI Bill to it's fullest. Politically, he was very conservative, a Regan Republican is the best description for him I can think of.

My point is: making fun of PhD's is about as smart as making fun of people with High School diplomas, or less. When you stereotype, you hurt yourself the worst, because you've closed your eyes to the truth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.