Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
You're probably right - we should just start preparing to move to Mars after we've rendered this world too-hot to live on.

Oh wait - it's "warming up" on Mars as well! Scum-bum-an-inch! We should never have sent those Vikings and SUV's up there - we've ruined two whole Planets already!
Hold it now.... whooooaa! You don't have a PhD so you'd better just shut up and believe what you're told!

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
You DO know what separates a PhD from the REST of the Great Unwashed, don't you?

(other than they spent a pile of money for a three-letter appendix to their name, and drank the Left-Wing Kool-Aide)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
well no, actually......

You DO know what separates a PhD from the REST of the Great Unwashed, don't you?

(other than they spent a pile of money for a three-letter appendix to their name, and drank the Left-Wing Kool-Aide)
I guess they get to conceptualize abstract theorems and utilize data derived methodologies in postulating upon positive and negative aspects of tangendental dichotomies....

The rest of us just guess and make sh*t up

·
Registered
38 Posts
The_Airhawk,

We have ice cores that go back 650,000 years (less accurate proxies further back) and solar flux variation has been ruled out as a cause of the current warming trend.

All I'm saying is that before deriding something as "Kool-Aide," maybe you should know your sh*t first. (Yes, I realize I'm saying this to people on the Internet ...)

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
OK, now you've completely LOST me - are you still talking about climate data here? If so, "several hundred years" is more than a tiny bit of exaggeration - depending on which lia... I mean: well-educated Climate Scientist you listen-to, we've got between 90 and 120 years of "reliable climate data" at the most - EVERYTHING ELSE is "anecdotal data", as you say.

Of course, the best and most-accurate of these computer-models are all based on this anecdotal-data, so they're as infallible as your Logic.

I also note you conveniently left-out any mention of the Solar Flux Dissipation and the theory that this has far-more effect on "Global Warming" (or Cooling - as we appear to have suddenly entered in the last 3-years) than anything Man has ever done to the Planet.
You just don't get it. Yes, Mars and Jupiter are warming too but when it comes to earth's warming that doesn't matter. You just haven't learned how to cherry pick your data so you can shake society down for more money and power.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
The_Airhawk,

We have ice cores that go back 650,000 years (less accurate proxies further back) and solar flux variation has been ruled out as a cause of the current warming trend.

All I'm saying is that before deriding something as "Kool-Aide," maybe you should know your sh*t first. (Yes, I realize I'm saying this to people on the Internet ...)
Thank You, Kpaul Kook; for pointing-out to me what an "ice core" is. I'd never have figured that out without your highly-educated, Genius-level assistance.

As I am a bona-fide High-School dropout, perhaps a Wiki page defining "sh*t" would help me get the larger picture that only one such as yourself can see, as well?

This was an Excellent discourse of both Facts and Data.

Your assistance is greatly deprecated.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
solar flux variation has been ruled out as a cause of the current warming trend.
Oh, and you really should check the date on any psuedo-whitepaper you should happen to cite as The Final Word, merely to ensure that the rhetoric it spews isn't TWO YEARS OUT OF DATE.

Spend more than 3 minutes on Google next time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I linked ice cores because it explains how one can extract temperature and CO2 data.

AFAIK, solar variability was ruled out two years ago -- do you have a more recent citation? (Don't see anything here for example.)

Do you have anything to add other than indignation?

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I linked ice cores because it explains how one can extract temperature and CO2 data.

AFAIK, solar variability was ruled out two years ago -- do you have a more recent citation? (Don't see anything here for example.)

Do you have anything to add other than indignation?
Wikipedia. LOL!

So long troll.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Nah, Buz - I think he's too Lucid to be The Kook. At this rate though, he'll never make a pimple on KP's arse. (but he certainly lives-up to his Persona's namesake)

Somnus - have you ever had aspirations to be a "Great Motorcycle Prophet"?

What are your feelings on "Red States" vs. "Blue States"?

Have you ever fought-off an entire Outlaw Motorcycle Gang with a "Boomstick"?

And last (but most-certainly not least!), do you resemble whatsoever a young Michael Douglas - either with or without the benefits of years of daily gym-workouts and Steroid therapy?

Just checking...............

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
The_Airhawk,

So, there your have it, Somnus. Logic and reason, sources and facts, met with the intellectual grace of a pack of hyenas snarling over a rotting zebra corpse. Nobody will actually read the materials you reference, nobody will respond in kind to your points. They'll just attack you personally, talk about how hot it is on Mars and how it used to be hotter or colder here on Earth...etc. The problem for them is, to accept Global Warming would mean accepting the idea that what they're doing now might have to change. That the US may actually have to cooperate with other nations. That the environment and the ecology, those evil Liberal plots, might actually matter.

I'm not saying don't try if you want to, just don't expect anyone to actually respond to you in any sort of rational way.

PS: If you're wondering, the K-Kook and Seattle references are in regard to a previous frequent poster who could barely compose a coherent sentence.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"The problem for them is, to accept Global Warming would mean accepting the idea that what they're doing now might have to change."

Ya think Algore is gonna change? It doesn't seem to worry him a bit. Kind of like some doctor telling me red meat is horrible for your health and not to eat it while he is munching on a steak. If this is such a complete science, why were many of the same scientists insisting we were headed for a new ice age in the 80's. Was that all correct science too? Weather is hardly an exact science to begin with, so to tell me there is an absolute one thing that is making a climate change is junk science at best. Read that chaotic systems are not predictable link and maybe you will actually admit that AL may be mistaken.

Debunking Modern Climate Myths

Climate myths: Chaotic systems are not predictable - climate-change - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist Environment

Climate change: A guide for the perplexed - earth - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist Environment

NCPA - BA #230 - Myths of Global Warming

Science FAQs | cooler heads

So I know I'm an idiot too for not swallowing the ALGORE version hook, line and sinker. Everyone that doesn't buy into it is an idiot right? Nothing wrong with conservation and less pollution. Let's cut out the crap though.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
LR, I'm not going down this road with y'all yet again. Been there, done that, got the callouses on my fingertips. I'm simply explaining to the new guy what's going on. Seems like a nice enough guy (or gal, I guess) but I suspect he/she had no idea what was going to come of those posts. Maybe "pack of hyenas" was a little strong...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Well, I read what he said, didn't attack him personally, posted rebuttals to every point, and never talked about how hot Mars is. I responded to him, and you in a rational way. Not good enough? You and him act as if there are no competing theories out there. Well there are people who have different 'theories', and they are from people that are competent and intelligent as anyone you can name. The 'others' discounted him just as you discount any theory other than your own. Pretty funny that the people that are supposed to be tolerant of other ideas so quickly swipe them away as if they didn't exist, and then brand those that don't march to the tune 'stupid'. You are correct about one thing. You shouldn't go down that road again. Your mind was closed long ago on this issue. Only time will prove what junk science climate predictions really are.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kenneth,

Yeah, I have figured out the score. To be fair, this is not much different from other motorcycle forums. Some folks want to chill and shoot the breeze about bikes, others need to pose. I've just tried to fight the good fight here for critical thought.

One only hopes some motorcycle-related signal gets through the noise in the future. If the moderators want to nut up instead of contributing lame-ass comments themselves, they can enforce a moto-only comment policy with no ad hominem.

longride,

Your list is nothing but strawmen:

* There was no consensus on the "mini Ice Age" forecast -- just a half-dozen papers with good press. (more here). Hypothetically, even if there were a consensus, it wouldn't mean the climatology community was wrong now.

* Weather != climate -- climate has much greater inertia. Furthermore, while climate is a chaotic system, it's a myth that such systems can't be modeled or give stable predictions. (more here)

* Finally, don't believe Al Gore -- he's a policy wonk. Understand what the scientists are saying, and see if they have any holes in their logic. Criticize cogently -- then name-calling might actually have some weight.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.