Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Original Article:
2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
"The Four Horsemen of the Supersports didn’t suffer any losses on the track, as the Daytona wasn’t legal in AMA roadrace competition during the past three years."

And that, dear friends, fully explains the train wreck that is AMA racing.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I'm a fan of Aprilia's stuff and Vtwins but the Shiver seems like such a cheap Brutale knockoff. The plastic is and frame is almost identical.

Aprilia seems like it's going the route of the Japanese by copying designs and blatantly lying about dry weights.

I think I'll take a triple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I gotta wonder how the SV650N would fare in this competition? It's not down on power much compared to the Shiver, and when you factor in its much lighter weight it should be competitive. If you include price (three grand less than the Aprilia) it could be a huge upset.

The Street Triple is a Daytona front end from being perfect. For the price its a great bike. I'd rather have the SV and $2500 to play around in the garage, but I'm weird.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Daytona 675 has been eligible for the FX class since it's inception. There are two privateers that run them on a part time schedule. Also, World Superstock and BSB allow them to run.

·
My member is not Junior!
114 Posts
Indeed

The Daytona 675 has been eligible for the FX class since it's inception. There are two privateers that run them on a part time schedule. Also, World Superstock and BSB allow them to run.
I stand corrected. Perhaps it's their virtual absence from that class and actual absence from all the other classes in AMA that caught me out.

I do know the rest of the world is more open to competition. :rolleyes:

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Difficult to run a triple in AMA Supersport when apparently each bike is required to have the same bore and stroke, cam grind, injection mapping, illegal crankshaft, exhaust system......

·
Registered
41 Posts
SV woulda pwns Shiver

I gotta wonder how the SV650N would fare in this competition? It's not down on power much compared to the Shiver, and when you factor in its much lighter weight it should be competitive. If you include price (three grand less than the Aprilia) it could be a huge upset.

The Street Triple is a Daytona front end from being perfect. For the price its a great bike. I'd rather have the SV and $2500 to play around in the garage, but I'm weird.
I'm weird too 'cause I owned an '07 SV650N for a little over a year. That was one fine motorcycle. Bonkers cheap suspension but a motor that screams attitude. I was very dissapointed reading the stats on the Shiver. It makes "less" peak torque than the SV, and only a few more peak ponies. That, and it weighs about 70 lbs more. For the $$$$$ you'd save buying an SV, you could grab a GSX-R750 front end off of Ebay and have the world's best corner burner. I currently own an '08 Z1000, but the SV was so much fun to run the snot out of that I almost consider going back. Cheap insurance, 87octane, 185 miles to the light, sound like non other (with full Leo Vince), world's best LED tail light ever designed, and a potent chassis. The aftermarket is gargantuan. Factor in the power to weight and the Shiver should have 54 ft.lbs. torque and about 86 hp based on 749cc vs. the SV 645. Boo hoo. Dump the deceased SV1000 lump into this Shiver, now we have something....

Those triples are so good, why doesn't Japan take their i-4 tech experience and start building their own??? This world doesn't have enough choice between SS and barkalounger.

·
Registered
159 Posts
eeny, meeny, moe?

Was waiting for this matchup- true that adding SV650 as a performance measure would have been informative, given its lower price- it really does seem to qualify in this group, even if not totally comparable- kind of like a standout freshman invited to the varsity squad, a little low in weight.
These are two on a shortlist i would actually buy new(a weird and unknown experience for this earthling).
Nice test, and im a little surprised how even the result was head to head- thought the porky Prilia would handle worse.
My wrinkly lump(in skull) buys the SL.
My ticking ticker buys the Triple.
My wallet probably buys a used silver SV650, with better inhale/exhale.
And- you two rode blocklong wheelies on your banana-seat bikes as whipersnappers, didnt you.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
And mustaches!
Mullets too !! tight acid washed jeans, big white tennis shoe, white 'beaters and gold chains......parking lot full of b*tchin' Camaros and Trans Ams....ItalianRetardsOutCruisin'.....and plenty of tasty MGD to wash the brats n chili down with !!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
My wrinkly lump(in skull) buys the SL.
My ticking ticker buys the Triple.
My wallet probably buys a used silver SV650, with better inhale/exhale.
And- you two rode blocklong wheelies on your banana-seat bikes as whipersnappers, didnt you.
Exc summary, bud! As for the wheelies as kids, I could never manage a whole block on a human-powered bike - part of the reason I like motorcycles so much!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.