Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Star Motorcycles Raider

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Star Motorcycles Raider in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
"In the high-end cruiser market (1300+cc), Star Motorcycles outpaced the industry in percentage growth, becoming the number-one selling brand in this category among Japanese OEMs."

Well, duh. It's more like a Harley than the others. Air-cooled, single crankpin.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I like the Yamaha cruisers. They seem to have cleaner designs than the other Japanese makers.

If I were to by another cruiser it would either be a Harley or a Victory if pricing wasn't an issue and if I was looking to save some coin I would look at Triumph or a Yamaha.

The only thing I don't like about Yamaha is the whole "Star" gimmick. It's not nearly as lame as Suzuki's Boulevard marketing concept, but still annoying. (Remember when Suzuki tried to say they had an entirely new line of motorcycle and all new models...except they we just renamed)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Best copy of a Harley to date. Kudos to Yamaha for having the balls to just copy them outright instead of beating around the bush. Notice that you can't find a brand name anywhere on the bike? Slick!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Been Here, Done This

It's fun to be around long enough to find that nothing's really new:

"This model was the one that set the fire under a boom in American style bikes based on the traditional vertical twin engine of the TX650. With features like a teardrop tank, and chopper style handlebars along with a King & Queen seat and short megaphone type muffler, all mounted on 16-inch wheels, this model achieved a true horseback type riding feeling. As the predecessor to the Special series bikes to follow, this model was popular both for long-distance touring and around-town riding."

Attachments

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I grew up on Yamahas. I wouldn't say I'm loyal (I do own a BMW K bike) but I've always liked the fact that they are easily maintained bikes compared to their competition. The Raider looks great. My issue is the size of the tank. 4 gallons of fuel means many fuel stops for longer trips. Not that most guys buying this machine would care but for me it just wouldn't work. Heck, my commute is 60 miles a day. I don't want to stop for gas every other day.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Just imagine the ease...

The great thing about Yamaha is that you can ride copies of different brands without having to switch brands yourself! I think that's the shyt!
.... of starting your own profitable motorcycle museum. Call it the Big4 Sporbike Museum. All you have to do is display one single model of any Japanese sportbike at random. Who can tell the difference? A museum with only one bike on display. Cool. Charge $5 to get in.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
A new Japanise bike that looks like a Harley? Who'd a thunk, this is ground breaking! Really thinking out of the box, now that this bike is on the streets all the other Japanise manufacturers will try and copy them. We'll have cheap cruisers everywhere, oh wait, this happened 10 years ago... Uh Nevermind. Wake me when something actually new comes out...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
.... of starting your own profitable motorcycle museum. Call it the Big4 Sporbike Museum. All you have to do is display one single model of any Japanese sportbike at random. Who can tell the difference? A museum with only one bike on display. Cool. Charge $5 to get in.
You would need at least 4 different tank badges to go with that one single model. :-D

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Everybody knows that.........

..........Harley makes Cruisers - the Japanese make copies of Harley's, sometimes better than the original.......

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I've seen refrigerator-magnet-logos at each of the Big Four's dealerships: Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.