Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Looks damned nice. Looks like I'm about ready to lose my license! I can tell you from experience that these bikes just beg to be ridden hard and fast. I have a few love notes from the law from my Busa. Love the new one though. It's calling my name.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My need for size, power and speed has been met by my Blackbird. This makes me immune to the 'Busa's charms :) But that 2008 Gixxer 750 is sure trying to worm its way into my garage. If only I could afford it right now. No worries, I'm happy with what I've got. And I have something to look forward to later.

And the Blackbird is such a fine bike that no bike will replace it; there'll have to be additional room in the garage for any other bikes that I'll own. I guess at some point I'll have to get a bigger garage ...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's really a fine motorcycle, but is there a point of overkill with the GT sportbike horsepower war? If I'm right the 186mph gentleman's agreement is still in effect- so why build it to go faster (up to a point)? Rather buy the new 848 for $11,500.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
It's really a fine motorcycle, but is there a point of overkill with the GT sportbike horsepower war? If I'm right the 186mph gentleman's agreement is still in effect- so why build it to go faster (up to a point)? Rather buy the new 848 for $11,500.
The reason they build it (and gear it) to go faster than 186 is that the electronic limiter used to limit the bike to 186 is so easily defeated that its existance is a practical joke. Not that anyone needs to go faster than that on public roads, but lots of guys do Maxton and Bonneville with these things and would like to see what it will do without the limiter. I don't think there will be an end to the horsepower wars without significant legislation. Power is like money; too much is not enough.:p

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always liked the Hayabusa styling and this one looks sweet. Better than their other 2008 GSXR sportbikes. Little too much power for me now..After I own a 750 and latter a 1000 for awhile I might try it.. Nice article Kevin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what's up fellas. I like this bike, but I'll never have one. Anyway, thought I would add that even though the ZX-14 is a direct competitor to the 'Busa, the Suzuki has such a cult following and loyal customer base that this bike is sure to be a winner on the sales floor. I think Suzuki was right not to go too far astray of what has been working for them. Interesting that the Hayabusa was so polarizing when it was first released, and now they are being very conservative with the update.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I have always liked the Hayabusa styling and this one looks sweet. Better than their other 2008 GSXR sportbikes. Little too much power for me now..After I own a 750 and latter a 1000 for awhile I might try it.. Nice article Kevin.
Thanks for the kudos, Zach! Not bad for someone who didn't attend the intro, huh? And I'm happy to let everyone know that MO is invited to the upcoming B-King launch, so I guess those cookies we sent worked!

Also, you're a smart rider to be using bikes of different power levels as stepping stones. Wish there were more of you like that out there. Kudos back atcha!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks neat! way more power than I would ever want but neat to see what can be done.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Wound a little tight today?
Well, Suzuki does have this tendency to overtighten the Power Band on the 'Busa just a bit too much...........

·
Registered
722 Posts
Iconic bike, incremental change, paying attention to the existing owner base and the aftermarket players, thus maintaining the brand and model loyalty... Nah, it'll never work. Just ask those losers in Milwaukee.
Agreed. Very astute of Suzuki not to spoil the Hayabusa franchise.

My Hayabusa story - I did some high speed runs out in a remote area on a friend's lightly modded (Akra full system, PCIII and dyno tune) 'Busa one time. Sticking her in 6th and rolling on the throttle at 40 mph did a pretty good airplane take off imitation. Relentless smooth thrust all the way to 185 mph indicated in one gear. Simply amazing. That and the way it pulled from 140 mph, where my 2006 FZ-1 is flattening out, was amazing.

I happily gave it back after doing 5 or 6 top speed runs down that arrow straight road. A man has to know his limitations after all and for me at least, that bike spells trouble. It begs to haul ass in such a way that 140 mph is just the beginning, and my personal rev limiter is set in the area of "only" 150 mph. The big Suzuki makes it all to easy to go there and while it handles well, it is one of those bikes that feels like if things went a bit awry, the rider is not gonna have much of a chance of getting it back. My FZ feels like a slap around toy compared to the "Bus".

Ironically, my friend can't ride for crap. His bike is a mid life crisis bauble to behold in the garage and slowly totter around on. It was the first and probably last time the tach ever crossed 5,000 rpm :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It begs to haul ass in such a way that 140 mph is just the beginning, and my personal rev limiter is set in the area of "only" 150 mph. The big Suzuki makes it all to easy to go there

Ironically, my friend can't ride for crap. His bike is a mid life crisis bauble to behold in the garage and slowly totter around on. It was the first and probably last time the tach ever crossed 5,000 rpm :)
I so relate to the two quotes above. I had an 02 VFR; obviously not the bike the 'Busa is, (too bad the nickname didn't turn out to be "H'ya) but... Even with it's comparitively modest performance, it was so easy and fun to run 120 or more, I couldn't resist. I picked up a ticket for 130 in AZ, and the cop damn near took me to jail.

I had to sell it, and it went to my friend Mark. He'd had a few bikes before, but this bike scared the crap out of him. He'd feather the clutch so much pulling out that it was painful to watch, "feet paddling" till he got going. Then he'd ride so conservatively it was a pain to go so slow...even though I was on the old Shovelhead. He might have put 1k miles on it since '04, but I doubt it. It sits in his garage just like your Busa pal's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hayabusa First Ride

Nice writeup. I thought the Busa was always more comfortable and handled a litle better than the ZX-14. The Kawasaki was faster (by a hair) but the 'Busa was a better GT type bike, better for soft luggage and road trips. Also better engine manners. Some wrote that the ZX-14 was strangled down low electrically in the first three gears in order to protect the rider, and that any number of bikes (FJR, K1200S) were torquier in the low and midrange. Is that right? I am looking for a GT type bike to replace my LeMans (see picture) and I wish the Blackbird was still avaliable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I covet a ZX-14. The row of headlights on the Kawasaki remind me of a commercial jetliner's headlights. You can get a solid black, understated paintjob. Corbin makes matching bags. The whole package is absolutely sexy. Plus the bike is somewhat practical as a sport-touring mount.

The Hayabusa does nothing for me emotionally. The anime-esque paintjob is sooo over the top. The whole styling package says "laughable penis extension" to me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.