Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Triumph Urban Sports Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Triumph Urban Sports Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
As much as I'd like to say something about the filthy British and their filthy ways, I'll pass this time to ask a question:

What are the qualifiers for an "Urban Sports" motorcycle? There's a wide variety of bikes in this review: ST, DS, etc., so what is the common thread that earns the moniker?

Also, I'm hereby officially coining the phrase "Urban Assualt Cycle." That is a DS bike with street tires that will jump curbs and plow lawns rather than hop over logs and ride trails.

PS: Great write up.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
If you exclude cruisers from the mix, Triumph is the only manufacturer in the world that has a line up of bikes any of which I would be more than happy to own. If I had $10K or so to spend I'd find it nearly impossible to choose between the S3, Tiger and SprintST... or the 675s or the Bonnevilles or Scramblers. Well, I'd probably prefer one of the 1050s but I'd be happy to have any of the others.

And now they make the only real sporttourer too. Cool.

Triumph shows that it can be done. Too bad Indian and such don't have a clue.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
If you exclude cruisers from the mix, Triumph is the only manufacturer in the world that has a line up of bikes any of which I would be more than happy to own. If I had $10K or so to spend I'd find it nearly impossible to choose between the S3, Tiger and SprintST... or the 675s or the Bonnevilles or Scramblers. Well, I'd probably prefer one of the 1050s but I'd be happy to have any of the others.

And now they make the only real sporttourer too. Cool.

Triumph shows that it can be done. Too bad Indian and such don't have a clue.
Even their cruisers are interesting. I'm not going to buy the Rocket, but it is different. And the America and Speedmaster are interesting as well.

I really like the Sixty8 gear they have.

I'd take a Bonneville with a bunch of accessories, a scrambler, StreetTriple, Tiger (especially now that they dropped those oversized tiger scratch decals off the gas tank) an ST, and Speedmaster.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
As much as I'd like to say something about the filthy British and their filthy ways, I'll pass this time to ask a question:

What are the qualifiers for an "Urban Sports" motorcycle? There's a wide variety of bikes in this review: ST, DS, etc., so what is the common thread that earns the moniker?

Also, I'm hereby officially coining the phrase "Urban Assualt Cycle." That is a DS bike with street tires that will jump curbs and plow lawns rather than hop over logs and ride trails.

PS: Great write up.
The Urban Assualt Cycle to which you refer: they call them Supermoto. BMW likes Megamoto. So, start writing letters to all the cycle publications and by 2010 you should see your name take off like wild fire.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh ha ha ha.

So if I had to sum up what you said it would be that Triumphs are at the top of your list of bikes that you will never own?? :)
Wrong this time! I'm pretty much settled on picking up a Tiger for my month long 'round the USA trip in 2011. I figure there will be a fair number of used 1050s by then.

OTOH my daughter just bought a 150cc Stella scooter. Naturally since she's using my garage I have riding rights. I've been riding big street bikes for so long I forgot what a hoot those little things are. I had to restrain myself from giggling maniacally as I was whooping it up around the neighborhood yesterday. Too bad it's pink with hippie flower decals. I'm trying to convince my wife to get a black one so I can ride it without so much embarrassment. I'll bet AirHawk wants one now!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
When I was in the market for a new bike in 2005, I visited Hyde Park Triumph in Inglewood, to check out the three cylinder models. Since I did my own work on bikes most of the time, I looked at the Triumph motor with all those little coolant hoses and doo-dads everywhere, and realized it would be darn near impossible for me to do my own maintenance, and god forbid major work if something big broke down the road a few years. So I bought a Buell. Big mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Glad you liked the write-up, boys. These bikes are highly entertaining and worth a spin if you ever get a chance. Stay tuned for the Daytona in an upcoming shootout and a test of the Street Triple. Further down the road, we'll likely see a baby Tiger built around that wonderful 675cc Triple.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The Tigers definately on the short list next to the Buelly Uly and V Strom. I shoulda' bought one when I got the Bonnie but I was overcome with nostalgia and ignored the fact that I'm a fairly large fella and the T100 is a fairly small bike..

After I wear out my Bandit I'll have to make the jump....'course I want a new Escalade too, gotta' give the bunny huggers something to cry about.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Glad you liked the write-up, boys. These bikes are highly entertaining and worth a spin if you ever get a chance. Stay tuned for the Daytona in an upcoming shootout and a test of the Street Triple. Further down the road, we'll likely see a baby Tiger built around that wonderful 675cc Triple.
Didn't Triumph already decide that it's plausible and are willing to re-introduce the Tiger Cub name?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I'd wave the Triumph flag, but there's no reaason to pile on...

I was just by Clinton Cycles outside of DC, and looked at the Rocket Touring.

Verrrry nice!

The guy had already put several accessories in it, including a windshield so tall I asked if it also served as a shelter when hung horizontally.

Off-brand, but the HD/Buell dealership off of Rte 210 has a new '07 Ulysses (Black) for $8900. I think that's a DEAL!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.