Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2008 Yamaha WR250R & WR250X Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Yamaha WR250R & WR250X Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
The pricing is just a head scratcher...though, admittingly I only skimmed the article. But why would a consumer buy a WR 250X when you can get Suzuki's DR-Z400SM for 200 bucks more and have a lot more power for 200 bucks more?

Also the 2008 WR250R is $300 more than Suzuki's DR-Z400S and $2000 more than Suzuki's DR200SE.

I'm not bashing the models, but the pricing is a bit odd. Are the components that much better?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, both in your direction and how cheap a Ninja 250 is for commuting purposes. I could do a lot to a Ninja 250 with $1500 bucks.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, both in your direction and how cheap a Ninja 250 is for commuting purposes. I could do a lot to a Ninja 250 with $1500 bucks.
As soon as the damn truck is paid off I'm getting the new 250R...unless they update the 500r.

Either way, it would be fun to wring the hell out of the 250r around these parts...and still get around 70+ miles per gallon.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Having owned several 250 cee cee four strokes over the last 3 decades or so, they're fun to thrash around on, but that supermotard rendition makes me think of the old "running out of steam and highsiding" quirk they all suffer from. No big deal in the dirt, but pavement antics can be painfull. Ah, to ride once again...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Ya know the new KLX250S is about $1000 cheaper. Kind of hard to justify the Yamaha's price just to get EFI.

It does look nice, though. I just saw one at the dealer yesterday.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah I'd love to see the 450 version too. I'd have to see some really sweet suspension to justify the extra $1K over the Kawasaki, I'd probably replace the supsension on both anyway unless something really decent came stock. I'd want to see them both on a scale, but I'd hope you'd shed 30-40 lbs compared to the Suzuki 400.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The 38mm throttle body on the new WRs is larger than the 36mm CV carb on the Suzuki DRZ 400. The tiny carb is really the DRZ's biggest problem. Put a 39mm FCR carb on it and the DRZ is a different bike.

Wondering what a 450 WR with a nice fat 45mm thottle body on it would do. Lots, I think, especially with a full exhaust and a PCIII remap :)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The pricing is just a head scratcher...though, admittingly I only skimmed the article. But why would a consumer buy a WR 250X when you can get Suzuki's DR-Z400SM for 200 bucks more and have a lot more power for 200 bucks more?

Also the 2008 WR250R is $300 more than Suzuki's DR-Z400S and $2000 more than Suzuki's DR200SE.

I'm not bashing the models, but the pricing is a bit odd. Are the components that much better?
My nearby Suzuki dealer offered me a new 07 DR650 for $4700 recently. $5K+ for a 250 DP bike is really over the top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Injector info? The fuel injector is 12 hole, but does anyone have more information on this? Who manufactures it and what their part number is? What is the static flow rate for such a small injector? Any recommendations on other low-flow injectors (e.g. 5 to 10 lbs/hr) that can be used on small engines?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My primary form of transportation is a GS500F. I ride rain or shine, eight months a year. Respectfully, I feel that some posters have overooked both the advantages and limitations of this bike as a commuter.

This bike has a tiny fuel tank (2 gal). I have read several owner reports on other websites, and 65mpg is typical for this bike. To be safe, you would need to stop for gas every 100 miles! On my bike, I stop for gas after 200 miles.

This bike also lacks a centerstand, which is very helpful sometimes. A centerstand facilitates fueling the bike and storing it each Winter in the garage.

On the other hand, this bike is fuel-injected. That means cold starts are no problem, and you never need to warm up the machine. My bike takes 90 seconds to warm up even on warm day. If its really cold, I must sit on it for THREE MINUTES before departing. That sucks, especially in the rain.

Several posters have complained about the bike's price. This bike also comes with the Yamaha name, which in my mind means something. They have a great reputation for quality, and you can extend your warranty up to five years. Plus this bike has modern suspension components, brakes, and powertrain. Most commuters have ancient, less efficient, less reliable engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This bike is awesome. I own one, it's a 2009 and modded to the nuts. I used to ride sportbikes, sold my 600 to get this one and never looked back. It get incredible fuel mileage, you can ride it on the highway and have lots of snort to pass, with throttle left to spare. I have had 0 problems whatsoever with it, it takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. I'm not gonna complain about a 250 dirtbike that gets 80 mpg and can do 100 mph.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
This bike is awesome. I own one, it's a 2009 and modded to the nuts. I used to ride sportbikes, sold my 600 to get this one and never looked back. It get incredible fuel mileage, you can ride it on the highway and have lots of snort to pass, with throttle left to spare. I have had 0 problems whatsoever with it, it takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. I'm not gonna complain about a 250 dirtbike that gets 80 mpg and can do 100 mph.:cool:
I bet it's a blast riding around your B.C. roads!

Did you ever read this shootout?
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/quarterliter-supermoto-shootout-87985.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.