Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Good Writeup, Longride!

Harley has really been trying lately - all that work seems to have paid off with an extremely competent long-distance moto. Essentially, the only reason for me NOT to want to own one now is styling - and it's not like it's an ugly bike; the styling just isn't my bottle of Perrier.

Everything that I did NOT like about Harley (with the exception of the attitude of many riders of its bikes) is just-about gone.

Good job Harley!

Good job Longride!

Thanks for the opportunity to "tag along" on the ride.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Pulsing of the ABS? I can see where that may be a bit annoying. My BMW is smooth as silk with the ABS and after it saving my bacon a dozen or more times I wouldn't want a touring rig without it. Ive driven a few cars where it feels like your on horizontal rain grooves while hard on the binders, guess this is something similar? At least they are putting brakes on them instead of the old single pot, single disk Flintstones method. One of these days, maybe, I'll be lured to the dark side.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Pulsing of the ABS? I can see where that may be a bit annoying. My BMW is smooth as silk with the ABS and after it saving my bacon a dozen or more times I wouldn't want a touring rig without it. Ive driven a few cars where it feels like your on horizontal rain grooves while hard on the binders, guess this is something similar? At least they are putting brakes on them instead of the old single pot, single disk Flintstones method. One of these days, maybe, I'll be lured to the dark side.
You could drag your feet and it would stop shorter than a Ducati 1098R.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You can actually feel the ABS kick in and then pulse at the lever or pedal. ABS never saved me once, since I never had it on any bike I ever owned. I did hit the ground overbraking and tucking the front on my CBX many years ago, but that really showed me that I needed to learn proper braking. Mashing the brakes with ABS just doesn't suit me.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You can actually feel the ABS kick in and then pulse at the lever or pedal. ABS never saved me once, since I never had it on any bike I ever owned. I did hit the ground overbraking and tucking the front on my CBX many years ago, but that really showed me that I needed to learn proper braking. Mashing the brakes with ABS just doesn't suit me.
I must admit with my linked ABS I have gotten a bit lazy. But thats not whats almost caused me to go down. Sand spills, Antifreeze and a car leaving a lake of oil have though. Nothing like being hard on the brakes and seeing an Exxon Valdez spill appear out from under the car in front of you. Must admit the first time the ABS kicked in hard I almost ripped the seat cover. Firm brake lever and suddenly no brakes with a rapidly approaching rear bumper. Then presto, back on hard.

Saw a sweet CBX on Craigslist the other day, always liked my Gym teachers ride in high school. Nothing like 3ft of chrome pipes across the front, thought about mailing you the link. But figured the Bandito is doing it for ya.

Buz, the 15's offer a great contact patch, make that two! They were the only brakes I had on my old Mini bike. Ironically my foot matched my age for a good number of years growing up. "How old are you son?" "Uh, let me take off my shoe." Learnt to count to 20 that way too...

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
You can? You mean the chattering of the ABS has a different character than the normal chattering of the HD brakes?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger a few times getting a CBX. I just think it wouldn't be the same as how I remembered it back in 1979. Still one of the best looking and best sounding bikes ever though.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger a few times getting a CBX. I just think it wouldn't be the same as how I remembered it back in 1979. Still one of the best looking and best sounding bikes ever though.
The problem with 70s and 80s bikes is that we usually remember them fondly because they were better than previous bikes. Going back to them is often a disappointment. For example my '91 600lb GSX1100G handled worlds better than my 570lb '82GS1100L or my '80 Goldwing. Newer is better most of the time. I always had a soft spot for the old CB450 which was a bike of twice the quality of the old CB350. I rode a friend's well maintained CB450 a few years back and noted the terrible handling right away. Same same a '73 XS650, very crude. There are always exceptions but that rule proves true most of the time by far. Nostalgia is best not revisited IMHO.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
There was a hot rod show down on the beach last week and this guy kept riding up and down the coast highway on a 85 Yamaha RZ350. I was checking that out more than the classic cars! It was loud like my RD but I didn't see anything fall off.

I might have to get me one.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
the 15's offer a great contact patch, make that two! They were the only brakes I had on my old Mini bike. Ironically my foot matched my age for a good number of years growing up. "How old are you son?" "Uh, let me take off my shoe." Learnt to count to 20 that way too...
Didn't a relative of yours make the news here a few weeks back?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Great review. I'm still over here soaking up rays, we'll be heading back over the hills tomorrow. I'm sure missing my '08 after listening to just about every motorcycle in Washington state ride past the Hotel...The ABS chatters on mine too but it stops the bike in the wet faster and smoother than I can and that's a lifesaver around here. These are excellent bikes and if you're looking for a new touring bike you can't go wrong with one, if you're a total cheapskate like me you can buy an antique POS '08 and save a couple of bucks You just have to put up with warm pipes, again a plus around here and the old style frame.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.