Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
A few questions, Mr. Duke:

What percentage of sales does the liter-bike catagory represent to the manufacturers? The standard line is that cruiser sales subsidize the high investment in technology and engineering on the superbikes, is that really true?

You made it clear that the difference in capability of these bikes is negligible, and that all of the bikes are vastly more capable than almost every rider. So the question is: does the investment in technology and engineering pay off on the street? In other words, say, for example, the bike today is 30% "better" than the same model 5 years ago. Will the average buyer get a "30% better" ride because they have cross-plane cranks, radial mount brakes, inverted forks, unobtanium fasteners? Or is this all about homologation and "win on Sunday, sell on Monday?"

The text material in your article is at least as good as anything I've seen in the printed media. But you guys have a huge edge with multi-media. Seeing and hearing the bikes run really sets your comparo above what C/W or M/C can do. It's cool you're getting the factory support you deserve.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
"So, for instance, the Gixxer Thou isn't 30% better than the previous one, but it is a better bike. How much that's worth is up to the consumer. "

Apparently it's worth a lot to a lot of riders, or at least their perception of the value is there. I talk to a lot of riders who spend what I consider ridiculous amounts of money for (again, what I consider) neglible performance increases. Who in their right mind wants a VStrom 1000 to go even 1 full second quicker on a 1/4 mile bad enough to spend a thousand dollars on pipes and ECUs? Enough people to keep Dale Walker and the Vince Bros. in business. Yet it's a Dual-Sport. With a big windshield and side cases.

On the other hand, there is clearly a "trickle down" value to the investment in sport bikes; what is leading edge on the top of the line sportbike today often finds it's way to bikes with a different mission tomorrow. So even someone like me who no longer wants to ride at 10/10ths on the fastet bike I can afford benefits I suppose. I may be using the technology to dodge a Q-Tip at 45 rather than braking late at turn 3 to get around another rider, but I benefit from dual disks nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
MOKE, I know I would love it. I would be a junkie with one ride. One day I will get out there for sure. I'm 100% that it will hook me like a big fish!
The old Moroso Motor Sports Track has been completely rebuilt and is now the Palm Beach International Raceway. They are doing "Motorcycle Mondays" which appears to be a track day every week. I'm going to see what that's all about; I have no idea if it's something I'd really pursue, but who knows. I'm going by on Sunday for a Superbike event and I'll see what's up with that while I'm there.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I once did a trackday on a R1200GS and the older Triumph Tiger at Infineon. Despite the stock enduro-ish tires, I did a lot of passing out there!

The point is, the RR comes in your pocket, not the bike! Have a blast!
It was a great afternoon! I had no idea there's a bunch of old pharts my age riding around in circles and hanging out in the pits in their underwear with their racing leathers drying in the corner. Looks to me like a guy could get on the track without spending megabucks. The new and improved track is less than an hour from my place. This could be fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts