Motorcycle Forums banner

2009 Luxury Touring Shootout

23K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  seruzawa 
#1 ·
Original Article:
2009 Luxury Touring Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Luxury Touring Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

#10 ·
Sport bike wheelies bore,
Big rig wheelies cause giggles.
Tell me why this is.
Wheelies are Easy
If you want big-time jaw drops
Go for the Stoppie..........

#4 ·
Well, 3/4 of a Luxury Touring Shootout

While the three bikes included are all very good rides in their own right, you know I have to point out that the Goldwing is about as American as the BMW K1200LT. Why the stretch to leave the big beemer out of the comparo?

Of course, having owned two of them, I might be carrying some small bias...

My wife and I rode the teutonic fat girl to Colorado last summer from Miami, and comfortably completed about 6000 miles, getting as high as 57mpg (averaged about 47mpg) all in the lap of luxury.

#5 ·
I have to point out that the Goldwing is about as American as the BMW K1200LT. Why the stretch to leave the big beemer out of the comparo?
1. The GW is designed and built in America; the K12 is not.
2. BMW didn't have an LT in its press fleet.
3. The LT is a bit long in tooth and is scheduled to be replaced within two years, probably with a V-6 engine (scroll near the bottom of this article: 2009 BMW S1000RR - A Closer Look - Motorcycle.com)
4. We only have three staffers/riders who live in SoCal. We'll call you next time around... ;)

Have a fun and healthy '09, my friends!

#6 ·
Nice article boys. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. The GW is the most comfortable mile eater ever made and always was. I also think if the E-Glide Ultra was chosen that the MSRP would be the cheapest of this bunch. Go figure with everyone always complaining that Harleys are so expensive.

#8 ·
Funny that no mention is made of the Victory's accident laugh/hazard ratio. More accidents are caused by uncontrollably laughing bystanders than from any other motorcycle currently being sold.

The all time accident laugh hazard/ratio hazard winner is, of course the Honda Rune followed by the Norton Hi-rider.

#13 ·
Read more closely!

I figured this would happen sooner than later. Seems a fair question, and it's surfaced a couple times already. But I thought maybe the title might have indicated the general theme, as well as the teaser text on the homepage, and in this para:

"Because touring is such an important part of the U.S. bike market, we wanted to get the best of what of each manufacturer had to offer. In light of that we went with a trio of luxury liners that are made in America, and we ordered them as loaded with options as we could get them."

:roll:

#15 ·
Good test, I also like the Vision and have seen a couple out on the road. It's not a bad looking bike and the owners seem very pleased with them. For my money I'd get the Ultra but not the CVO model,

#20 ·
Hmmm.... Adult themes and concepts?....full frontal nudity?... graphic sex and violance?....

pass the popcorn and Vodka.......
Vodka? You're off the Bushmills?

I don't believe it.

You have to hand it to the Finlandia people though. They've convinced huge numbers of people that their expensive distilled potatoes are better than the $4 brand.

Now excuse me while I get back to my brother-in-law's excellent martinis.

#24 ·
From the article:
"then again the Vision doesn't offer ABS, let alone linked braking."

The Vision comes standard with linked braking. The front brakes have a six piston caliper system The front control operates four of the pistons. The rear brake pedal operates a linked system consisting of the rear caliper and two pistons of the front caliper. It has a pressure valve, so that if the rear brake pedal is gently applied, it operates the rear only. As firmer the pressure applied to the rear pedal, more braking force is allowed to be applied to the front brakes.
That would probably explain the writer's comment:
"quick stops are only made when activating the rear brake pedal".

#25 · (Edited)
We're hesitant to refer to what you've indicated (with detail rarely seen anywhere, btw!) on the Victory as a linked system in the sense of Honda's LBS or CBS (Combined Braking System) as they now refer to it. With the Honda system (a system most people reference when discussing linked braking and what has unofficially become something of a standard), the rear brake is applied when applying front brake and vice versa, though full front isn't applied via the rear brake. Ergo, a truly linked system.

Also, I'd be cautious in the way you've phrased the Vision's brake system as a "six piston caliper system." Victory only refers to it as a three-piston caliper. Likely you're thinking but not stating that you included both calipers. Seems trite to point that out, but you'd be surprised how many people would misinterpret that as six pistons per caliper. :rolleyes:

The process, or rather amount of pressure needed to activate and then applied by the rear brake is somewhat vague, even by Victory's own words from our First Ride of the Vision: "... Under mild to heavy rear braking, a "slight degree" of front brake is hydraulically activated..."

What do you suppose Victory meant when they told the press a "slight degree" of front brake is applied, and how many different ways do you suppose different people, including yourself, would define "mild to heavy?"

Finally, though this "integrated" systems exists, Victory does little if anything to promote it. Honda on the other hand...

Thanks for bringing this up for a good discussion! :D

#39 ·
You've been ugly??...poor guy, I guess you improved with age huh (wink)

Women probably like the Vision because the back looks like a...um....well... It looks very appealing (ahem)

Actually I'm with ya' there chief, I think it's a pretty cool bike and built like an M1Abrams, not sure I'd buy one but it's a nice looking bike.

#61 ·
Honestly with the HD and the Vision side by side I prefer the Vision (can't believe I just wrote that). The comment that the wing is looking dated cracked me up. The HD hasn't changed visually in how many decades? Still I would take the LT over these 3, mainly due to fitting on it as the wing is about 3 inches too tight. My knee's are in the fairing before I put on my 'stich with the additional knee padding. That and after doing a small tour up the norcal coast on an LT I was shocked on how much fun I had on it. Amazing how fast I could hustle that pig fully loaded with the stereo blasting. It was great fun punking around in SF on it too. Ever jumped a touring rig? I have, love those sf hills... Yep it was a rental...

#72 ·
Er... okay?

Guess we have a different opinion on the location of, and what those two large aluminum pods at the top of the frame just below the handlebars are in the attached pics.

This isn't some inherently flawed design; Victory's designers and engineers are highly skilled and experienced. But our impression of the Vision, primarily during slow speed maneuvers, was that of a top-heavy feel. The most obvious contributor to that seems to be the location of the fuel.

Attachments

#65 ·
Where's the shootout backup

This shootout was 90% tech and factory provided data sheets supported by 10% riding.

I have ridden all three bikes and the Vision is much, much closer to the Goldwing in being the winner than it should be after all the Honda R&D, rider input and years of production the Wing has been around.

For me I would accept the few things the Wing can do better than the Vision, but pay my money for the Vision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.