Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Hasn't anybody heard of a hybrid drive for ghodsake? Screw the batteries, have a small high-output diesel running a generator, to a bank of batteries, where you can either ride it on just the batteries, on both the batteries and the diesel, or just the diesel.

Uh, I think some small company named GM Electramotive might have tried the same thing with some success on a device called the DIESEL ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE? I could be wrong...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Don't need all them batteries...

But wouldn't adding 100-plus lbs of batteries and motors create a 600-plus-lb dirtbike...?
Two deep cell 12volt batteries = 60 lbs. One small diesel direct injected motor & generator = 120 lbs. One 24 volt hi-torque electric motor = 50 lbs.

Total approx. hybrid powerplant weight: 230 lbs.

Add that to a rolling chassis weight of around 180 lbs and you have a hybrid electric motorcycle that weighs around 400 lbs.

Too heavy for a dirt bike, but in the ballpark for a street machine.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Who's saying anything about performance?

A small diesel engine with, say 10hp, will only give you about 10hp of continuous performance. The battery will give short spurts of increased performance but your average power available will be only what the donkey engine provides minus line losses. That's one of the problems with hybrids. Great for commuting but not so good for performance.
I thought this whole electric bike deal was about saving the environment, green technology and alternative fuel economy?

You want performance, forget electric. Go with steam! Yeah, steam power baby...whooo whooo....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts