Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"The re’s also no such thing as a viable cruiser that’s ugly, so the UK-based Triumph turned to an American designer to define how an inline-Twin cruiser should look. Tim Prentice, who has styled the Honda Rune...."

Hoo boy, I think I'd take a quick look at editing this one! I think Tim needs to get that OFF his resume pronto.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"
The cruiser Triumphs confuse me. Apparently, they sell well enough, though, as I see more cruisers than sporty bikes."

I think you do get it with the last part of your stement. Cruisers sell, sportbikes don't. Add in the cost of retooling a sportbike every 3 years, and I think there really isn't much confusion.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
It means they staggered the firing order to simulate a V-Twin firing sequence without the cylinder arrangement. The traditional Triumphs had 360-degree firing order. One cylinder fired every revolution. It had a very even exhaust sound. The 270 gives is a bit of 'potato-potato' sound.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
So they make a point of not building a V-Twin, and then build the inline twin to sound like one. Schizophrenic. It will never sound like a Shovelhead, so why even bother?
Just because they didn't want it to look or sound EXACTLY like a Harley doesn't mean they don't want it to kinda look and sound like one. After all, the guy that designed this did the Rune. He learned a hard lesson on THAT one!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
One more explanation and I will be completely lost. Wait, I already am.
Here it is Ken. Normal Vertical Twin motors have an even firing sequence of once every 360 degrees of crank rotation. Every time the crank goes around one cylinder fires and the next time it goes around the other cylinder fires. One cylinder fires at the 0 position for every 360 degrees rotation. If it was a clock, pistons fire alternately at the 12 oclock position

Now, what triumph did here is to stagger the firing sequence to fire at 270 degrees of crank rotation, which means that it will fire at the 0 position and then again at 270 degrees of crank rotation instead of going all the way to back to the 0 position after 360 degrees of crank rotation. If it was a clock one would fire at the 12 oclock position and the other would fire at around 10 oclock.

How's that?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Must be for that "road holding weight" I keep hearing about.

Nah. I'm not buying it. These bikes are just too heavy. As much or more than a 30 year old Goldwing. More than my 1980 Shovelhead ..... wet. Ridiculous.
Triumph managed to make the new Bonnie 100 lbs heavier than the old one too. I know, it was to manage the tremendous horsepower that new motor has! :rolleyes: More like cheap materials and cheap engineering. I still can't figure out how they did that. Look at how heavy the new Sporties are. rubber mount it and add 50 lbs? They are kidding aren't they?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
stiffer frames, heavier wheels, more electronics and wiring, all that stuff ads weight. Original Sporties and Bonnies were pretty simple bikes.
Better engineering and materials alone would make up the weight difference of these bikes.....if they ever used them. To me they are engineered to look a certain way and then made and engineered as cheaply as possible. 50 extra lbs to rubber mount a motor? Please! Sloppy engineering combined with cheap materials made this happen, pure and simple. They don't take weight into account when designing this stuff. They just make it work and they really don't care how much it weighs. You can't honestly tell me that a new Bonnie should be 100 lb's heavier than the old ones. Sorry, but wheels and frames should be lighter, not heavier if they were made with any forethought and decent materials.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Bollocks. Claimed dry weight is 308 kg (678 lbs). My Fat Boy has claimed 307 kg dry but then I have 88 ci engine compared to 98 ci here. They could have named this Nippy.

- cruiz-euro
Here is a quiz. If you have 62 horsepower and added two more to it, how many horsepower would your imaginary FatBoy have?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"I hear it could....."

That's about the best you got. If you depended on knowledge I'd say you lamer than an imginary FatBoy that has 64 horsepower.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
" I just think that they don't care about weight reduction. The idea never entered the design concept."

Yup. They are designed to look a certain way first and foremost. Then they are engineered and manufactured as cheaply as possible. They are NOT engineered to be light, easy to repair, or easy to service for the most part. All the excuses for heavy weight are pretty much are just that.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Oh yeah. Didn't we have this same discussion years ago? "

Yes we did. I'm still waiting for the picture of the French engine that Harley copied. You know, when you were going to prove me wrong AGAIN. Send along a picture of that and of you with your 64 HP FatHead. I guess I have to wait for that one eh? You don't have a manual for a bike you don't own, but Sportsters are made in KC, so I'd guess you have a K, becuase you love Sportsters so much? Do I win a prize now? Did I get the horsepower right at least?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"I would never ever buy a worster. "

That is the reason I just got one. A stripped down 72. Right side shift. You would hate it. I'd say there is no better reason for me to love it.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
So, the Sportster is indicative of everything that's wrong with the US auto industry. Cool. I wonder what he would use as a representative of the US farm equipment industry? Raytheon amplifiers?
Just another gem from our own Yurup KPuke imitator. No wonder why he worships him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts