Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Sorry for te typo Duke- That little netbook keyboard my kid plays with is not fat finger friendly.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Agreed, If somebody were to take the Yamaha mill and put it into the Victory chassis I would be willing to pay the Harley price! =)
:)

Mostly agreed, but we gotta give the SG props for its superior low-speed handling. It's weird how Yam and Vic fell short of such an obvious benchmark.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Uh huh... :)

You can press the Edit button y'know!
Actually the "Edit" function hasn't worked since the site went bonkers a month ago. I click it and it returns an error, on any of several PCs and browsers I use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mostly agreed, but we gotta give the SG props for its superior low-speed handling. It's weird how Yam and Vic fell short of such an obvious benchmark.
When you consider how much shorter the wheelbase is and how much steeper the rake is, the Harley had damned well better make tighter u-turns and handle better at low speeds. The Yamaha and the Vic didn't fall short, the Harley is just a more compact bike all the way around.

The Victory has the lowest seat in the test and, if I'm not mistaken, the most rear suspension travel too. When Yamaha was criticized for copying Harley's pushrod engine they claimed they did it to keep the seat height low. Funny how the tallest engine, the lowest seat, and the most rear suspension travel in this comparison are all found on the same bike.

How much chassis stiffness do you think the Harley gives up with that rubber mounted engine? I love to watch my friend's 2010 Street Glide bouncing the front tire off the ground at idle, and that bike is smooth at cruising speeds, but the chassis is easily upset (not as easily as the pre-2009s) and bumpy corners will induce wobbling and an unsettling feeling.

As far as getting the Victory to the performance level of the Star, that's easy. Have a look at this. Costs about $1800 installed.
http://www.lloydz.com/graphs/2010-XC-w-RPW-Slip-ons-VM1-Cams.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Actually the "Edit" function hasn't worked since the site went bonkers a month ago. I click it and it returns an error, on any of several PCs and browsers I use.
Jeezuz, it's always something...

Edit...

Works for me... :)

Stew

·
Registered
24 Posts

I hear what you are saying Kevin. I have a 1700 Nomad witch has a similar if not more compact frame geometry then the SG and feels just as nimble in the parking lot as my old 600 lb cruiser did. That being said personally I would still trade it for the smoother/sportier riding Victory most any day even if it didn't have the Yamaha crank. I look forward to seeing the same comparo next year with the Vaquero in the mix. I think it would fall short of the Vic's ride and the Yam's power but it's compact handling and standard touring features for the lowest MSRP would certainly put it in the running for best value I think.

P.S. On a side not am I the only one that gets annoyed with manufacturers when they put lots of accessories or extra features on loaner bikes that are use for comparisons? Personally if I were editor I would tell them if it doesn't come stock it doesn't get reviewed. But that's probably why my rants are in the comments section and not the article =).

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I hear what you are saying Kevin. I have a 1700 Nomad witch has a similar if not more compact frame geometry then the SG and feels just as nimble in the parking lot as my old 600 lb cruiser did. That being said personally I would still trade it for the smoother/sportier riding Victory most any day even if it didn't have the Yamaha crank. I look forward to seeing the same comparo next year with the Vaquero in the mix. I think it would fall short of the Vic's ride and the Yam's power but it's compact handling and standard touring features for the lowest MSRP would certainly put it in the running for best value I think.
Pete will be testing the new Vaq mid-Dec, so stay tuned to hear how it stacks up!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I love a big cruiser myself but the low speed handling has proven difficult for me, having dropped my Star Tour Deluxe 3X in a year. I'm not up on the newer models but being a Yamaha, I'll assume it's the most similar in this comparison.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Testing Edit, 1 2 3.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No bananas.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
When you come to a stop put your feet down. That solves most dropping issues.
C'mon, do you have any idea how slippery chrome can get? Jeez, give the guy a break...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When you come to a stop put your feet down. That solves most dropping issues.
Crazy thing is, it just gets away from ya pretty easily. First time I was on an incline and a dog ran into the front wheel while I was backing & turning. The other 2 were in same gravel littered asphalt parking lot (incline also). I have stepped up my awareness though and have avoided any damage. Bike is so wide it only falls to the highway bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VICTORY iPOD INTEGRATION

The Cross County is actually fully integrated with the iPod. You can access playlists, albums, artists, whatever. Just like the screen of your iPod. That's why they put it in the saddlebag. There's no reason to touch it once its plugged in because you have full control with the Victory. I know this, I sell Victory's and Yamahas.

Trey Knight
Mountain Motorsports GA

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.