Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Nice Bike - where do you put the Batteries?

(Oh! Like you guys weren't thinkin' it!)

Actually, it seems Super-K has got their finger on the pulse of the "Real Rider". Whether or not that will pay off for them (pleaseopleaseopleaseletthechopperthingbeover!) is yet to be decided.

I submit that we are Living in the Golden Age of Motorcycling. (and hotrodding as well!)

Try to have yourself a Good Time(tm).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Goldielock's Bike

I started riding in 1982, and mis-spent my formative years on a series of VF and VFR Hondas. Those bikes were often used as the basis for a Superbike, and yet were genuinely comfortable for day to day use. I currently ride a 1995 Suzuki RF900, so I guess you could say I like reasonably comfortable yet capable fully-faired bikes that are not too extreme. Not too big, not too small, not too fast or too slow.There has been a very limited selection of these lately; the VFR800 (but not Shamu), Sprint ST and... well that's about it for me really. Don't really fancy a Hayabusa or ZX14, but the idea of this 1000 cc Kawasaki looks just about right to me. Congratulations to Kawasaki for including fully adjustable suspension, sensible ergos, and a fun power-plant.

I might consider getting me one of these (so long as it is Ok with my wife, kids and bank manager...).

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Looks pretty good in Sport-touring mode, I'll have to take a gander at one at the IMS in December

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds like a nearly perfect bike. The ninja name plate is going to make the insurance companies set the pricing level to rape, but with a set of bags it would make a great ST (similar to the now defunct Ducati ST4s actually).

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Kawasaki should have named it the Z1000R for the States. Insurance companies are going to see the Ninja name and the CC size and automatically throw the bike into the Superbike category.

Should have asked a shameless, self-promoting, marketing mastermind like myself, first.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep this bike is very drool worthy. I would also like to see some twins in this category as well. This and the Sprint are soo close... But how about making the passenger accommodations a little more comfortable?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Loved the writeup. Interesting how seemingly minor changes affect the personality of the bike. I know what you mean by this kind of bike encouraging bad behavior too. Comfy, upright ergos, stout power. The combo encourages the rider to play and have fun. Rarely a ride goes by that I don't find a country backroad to ride a nice fat wheelie on my FZ1 :D

These kind of bikes are indeed trouble Would not want it any other way. Nice work Kaw. I truly hope they sell lots and lots of these.

·
Motorcycle.com Staff
146 Posts
Loved the writeup. Interesting how seemingly minor changes affect the personality of the bike. I know what you mean by this kind of bike encouraging bad behavior too. Comfy, upright ergos, stout power. The combo encourages the rider to play and have fun. Rarely a ride goes by that I don't find a country backroad to ride a nice fat wheelie on my FZ1 :D

These kind of bikes are indeed trouble Would not want it any other way. Nice work Kaw. I truly hope they sell lots and lots of these.
Thank you! That FZ1 is a sweet bike as well. It's not unlike my old R1 for which I just had the tranny undercut and indexed ('cause I wore out 2nd doing these kinds of antics).

This new Ninja just adds to all the good choices we have these days.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The idea of this bike as a lightweight Sport Tour is appealing, especially since a C-14 is amost $15k these days. But from the photos, I can't see the ergonomics working for more than a few hours riding per day.

It sucks, getting old...all those injuries come back on you and limit your options.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The idea of this bike as a lightweight Sport Tour is appealing, especially since a C-14 is amost $15k these days. But from the photos, I can't see the ergonomics working for more than a few hours riding per day.

It sucks, getting old...all those injuries come back on you and limit your options.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Did anyone see the Euro name designation? Z1000SX.
Duke- would you call your inside marketing geeks at Kawi and tell them before they make a fatal name mistake they should adpot the Euro name for Insurance reasons? Tell them the resident Insurance guru is the one begging for naming sanity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The addition of bags makes for a much more practical, all-round bike. Easy to use everyday, even when not travelling. All this real-world practicality will surely doom the bike to a early death as the squids who rule sport bike sales will immediately label it an uncool old man's bike. And the uncool old men will continue to buy BMWs!

BTW, I know you posters have a need to impress us with your witty quotes, but come on. The quotes have taken over, they're longer than your comments, and add little or nothing to the discourse. Do you really need to....

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Did anyone see the Euro name designation? Z1000SX.
Duke- would you call your inside marketing geeks at Kawi and tell them before they make a fatal name mistake they should adpot the Euro name for Insurance reasons? Tell them the resident Insurance guru is the one begging for naming sanity.
Sorry, ACE, the marketing machine boat has already sailed on the name. It's surprising they don't think of such things in advance. Maybe they should put you on their payroll...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Sorry, ACE, the marketing machine boat has already sailed on the name. It's surprising they don't think of such things in advance. Maybe they should put you on their payroll...
My specialty is shameless marketing. They aren't too shameless.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Nice looking bike, except for those damn exhaust pipes. What ever happened to nice chrome exhaust pipes that were round, with a hole in the end of 'em? Now they have to make a statement I guess.

Might look nice with fishtails. Give it the Kustom look.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
One of the most eagerly-awaited-for bikes of the new year, at least for me. Way to go, Team Green!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts