Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's too bad both are ugly as sin, fat as pigs and handle like semis. If I was getting a new crotch rocket, I would take the new zx10r, panigale or bmw s1000r over either of these any day of the week and twice on sunday. Powerful, light, and all handle like a cat cornering on carpet (grip grip grip).

It wasn't too long ago I was easily beating my buddy on his 05 'busa with my 04 zx10r on a roll on or carving the twisties, as were my other buddies on there 05 r1 and 05 gsxr.

These bikes are great on a launch because they are fat and can keep the front wheel down easier from a standing start. But with a roll on, the power to weight ratio of the lean liter bikes leaves these two rollie-polies behind, and in the twisties they are a joke compared to 1000's

·
Registered
722 Posts
Try getting 500 hp out of your liter class sport bike though. These things are about modding and the strip.

I was chatting with Eddie Sisneros over at Epic Motorsports. He had a turbo 'Busa he built on the dyno, and they had to use a forklift to press down on the pegs to load the rear enough to get an accurate (over 500 hp) reading. Too much tire slip.

To be honest, these things are not really my cup of tea, but I can respect them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try riding that thing on the track all stretched out to 12 feet in order to get that 500hp to the ground. Give me a modded liter bike with 200+hp on a track any day. Respect for these, sure, but like you they are not my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Not my thing, but impressive. Extreme. I can see the allure, just don't feel it.

I'm too dumb to have that much power available on the street. My license couldn't take the abuse :)
I used to feel that way until I took my first runs at a 'strip. I poo-pooed dragracing until I found out just how fun and challenging it is. I encourage all y'all to bring whatever bike you have to an open night at your local 'strip to find out for yourselves how entertaining and intense it can be.

It doesn't matter how fast your bike is, as most 'strips operate a bracket racing format in which you try to get as close to your dial-in time as possible. So, make your practice runs and see how quick you can go, then choose your dial-in time that you think you can duplicate. Then, as long as you don't "break out," i.e. go quicker than your dial-in, you have a chance to beat a Busa (or whatever) on your XL250 (or whatever)!

No one can talk authoritatively about a subject he/she hasn't tried! I can nearly guarantee you'll have more fun than you expect! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I know drag racing is fun. I used to flog my Marauder down the track a bit.
I just don't have the interest to invest in the full leather gear, etc that the drag strip requires to run the 1/4. I'm more of a pokey cruiser/sightseer/tourer on bikes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey Kevin, a couple of pics for you from my drag racing foray. Me and my buddy, both on TL1000s. His was lowered and lengthend, mine was stock. Note the terminal speeds which are close (indicating comparable power), and the ETs and my crap reaction time, which are not (indicating that I did not have a clue as to what I was doing).

My friend wound up being a champ in his bracket racing class. I was having some fun at the strip. The TL was a great bracket racing bike, very easy to dial in and run repeatable times on, once it's tendency to wheelie all over the place was dealt with. Had fun at the strip.

I should take the FZ1 over to Bandimere. The FZ has a hellacious top end pull. Need to let her off the leash once in awhile!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Hey Kevin, a couple of pics for you from my drag racing foray. Me and my buddy, both on TL1000s. His was lowered and lengthend, mine was stock. Note the terminal speeds which are close (indicating comparable power), and the ETs and my crap reaction time, which are not (indicating that I did not have a clue as to what I was doing).

My friend wound up being a champ in his bracket racing class. I was having some fun at the strip. The TL was a great bracket racing bike, very easy to dial in and run repeatable times on, once it's tendency to wheelie all over the place was dealt with. Had fun at the strip.

I should take the FZ1 over to Bandimere. The FZ has a hellacious top end pull. Need to let her off the leash once in awhile!

The effects of your bud's lengthened and lowered TL can be seen in the 60-foot times. I think you should take your FZ to the strip. You already know you'll have fun, and it is a liberating experience to pin the throttle for several seconds without fear of legal penalty!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ya, it was in decline when I was there, it was near the end, probably 1999 or so, maybe?

Rode the dirt bike at the MX track too, just cuz. That was bittersweet big time. Going down the "Carlsbad Freeway" and remembering all those old Superbikers races and stuff. Now I guess it is all condos eh?

Long Beach where I used to live had a drag strip (Brotherhood Raceway) for awhile in the port. That was so cool. Running literally right at sea level, the bikes ran like raped apes. Ran through nearly an entire tank of gas on my Ninja 750 during a session there. Must have done 40 runs. That bike had a tough motor, evidently. Quite a varied scene at that place. Lots of "scary people" being cool and sharing the love of horsepower. It was quite enlightening for this somewhat sheltered creature of the suburbs :)

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Long Beach where I used to live had a drag strip (Brotherhood Raceway) for awhile in the port. That was so cool. Running literally right at sea level, the bikes ran like raped apes.
I wonder if that's the same Long Beach drag strip my cousins took me to a couple times in the '60's when we'd visit Cali from overseas. I was 6 or 7, but I clearly remember seeing jet cars race there. along with the "rails" and hot rods.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't discount the K1200/K1300S bikes. Just as much motor, less weight and tons more comfort. Add factory luggage for the long haul and NO chain drive to screw around with in the motel parking lot. Not a better bike to be on if you have to cover mega miles in a short time! They also turn the Pacific Coast Highway 1 into a giant video game!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.