Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
As far as fuel mileage goes, after an entire day of running around San Francisco at wide-open throttle, the fuel needle hardly moved.
Um... great. So what does that mean in MPG? That's pretty much in the top 2 priorities for a scooter review. Apologies if I'm missing it.

I dig scooters, and this sounds like a perfect bike for a large city. If I lived in one, I'd be perfectly happy with it as an only-bike (well, maybe a 125...) Always liked the looks of the Zuma, and its dirt-road-ability. But I live in a small city, and it just doesn't make sense for me. For short around-town trips, I use a bicycle (infinite MPG). For longer jaunts, a motorcycle (50 MPG). Outside of a big city, a scooter is too much of a tweener.

A large Southern or California city? It would replace my car, too.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Um... great. So what does that mean in MPG? That's pretty much in the top 2 priorities for a scooter review. Apologies if I'm missing it.

I dig scooters, and this sounds like a perfect bike for a large city. If I lived in one, I'd be perfectly happy with it as an only-bike (well, maybe a 125...) Always liked the looks of the Zuma, and its dirt-road-ability. But I live in a small city, and it just doesn't make sense for me. For short around-town trips, I use a bicycle (infinite MPG). For longer jaunts, a motorcycle (50 MPG). Outside of a big city, a scooter is too much of a tweener.

A large Southern or California city? It would replace my car, too.
Press launches don't usually provide opportunity for actual as-tested fuel economy numbers. But based on Yamaha's 132 mpg claim, it should be next to impossible to get less than 100 mpg on the Zuma.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
A buddy has a Ruckus that he loves.

He doesn't ride it around town (it's mostly a camping trip and racetrack 'pitbike') because it is too slow, and can't get out of the way quickly enough. It's all it can do to get to and maintain anything more than 35mph.

Speaking of camping and racetracks, don't forget the Barber Vintage Festival (7 - 9 October)!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
But based on Yamaha's 132 mpg claim, it should be next to impossible to get less than 100 mpg on the Zuma.
Well, based on this sentence from the article - "Wegener informed me that the real-world mileage numbers for his two-stroke Zuma are nothing close to the 123 mpg Yamaha claims. Instead, he gets around 60 mpg on his "tuned for mileage" gen-two Zuma" - I'd say it would be very possible to get only 65 mpg.

My Sportster gets 55. Of course, it can't carry a six-pack, a fifth of Jack and a Beretta under the seat, so the Zuma has that going for it. Which is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Well, based on this sentence from the article - "Wegener informed me that the real-world mileage numbers for his two-stroke Zuma are nothing close to the 123 mpg Yamaha claims. Instead, he gets around 60 mpg on his "tuned for mileage" gen-two Zuma" - I'd say it would be very possible to get only 65 mpg.

My Sportster gets 55. Of course, it can't carry a six-pack, a fifth of Jack and a Beretta under the seat, so the Zuma has that going for it. Which is nice.
I'm gonna guess Wegener rides fast, as getting barely more mpg than a Sportster is ridiculous. Also, the extra torque of the 50F over the two-stroke 50 is going to require less throttle, which equals more mileage. Plus, two-strokes aren't known for their fuel economy, so I stick by my guess I'd be able to extract 100 miles from a gallon of fuel in a 50F.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I'm gonna guess Wegener rides fast, as getting barely more mpg than a Sportster is ridiculous. Also, the extra torque of the 50F over the two-stroke 50 is going to require less throttle, which equals more mileage. Plus, two-strokes aren't known for their fuel economy, so I stick by my guess I'd be able to extract 100 miles from a gallon of fuel in a 50F.
Yeah, that makes more sense. 65 mpg from a scooter sounds ludicrous. Quickie search shows the 125 Zuma getting 80-100 real world.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My first bike, a Honda 50, got about 125mpg and that was with the throttle WTFO. How do you get 60mpg out of a 50?

Personally I think 50s to be a poor choice unless you live in really congested urban environments. 125cc Scooter will do more like 55mph vs the 50's 40mph and don't get all that worse mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Personally I think 50s to be a poor choice unless you live in really congested urban environments. 125cc Scooter will do more like 55mph vs the 50's 40mph and don't get all that worse mileage.
Yep, a 125's higher-ranging speeds makes it more versatile, but a Zuma jumps off curbs really good.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
50 mpg on a Sportster? Wow, that's great mileage. Must be the FI.

My Mini's gas mileage is comparable to my Vee's, which is around 25-30 mpg real-world, commuting mileage. Not exactly "stellar."
Wow, do you use more than 1st or 2nd on the V????

My GS gets around 47 and I'm not terribly gentle with it.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

My Mini's gas mileage is comparable to my Vee's, which is around 25-30 mpg real-world, commuting mileage. Not exactly "stellar."
Yeah, I was like "Holy Shizznit, Batman!" I only get about 48 on the FZ6. More like 36-40 in the Winter (partly due to crappy Winter gas, partly due to the EFI never coming off "cold-start" unless I block like 85% of the radiator).

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've always gotten around that, even when carburated. My Bandit 600 is good for 45, and that's with a couple of Givis acting as airbrakes. I don't lug either bike. I'm always surprised at bikes that get less than 40.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've always gotten around that, even when carburated. My Bandit 600 is good for 45, and that's with a couple of Givis acting as airbrakes. I don't lug either bike. I'm always surprised at bikes that get less than 40.
My '85 Ironhead XL1000 consistently got 50+ mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.