Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Okay, one request. Can we stop insisting that EV's "are the future of motorcycling"? Because that's really just an assumption.

I would be more inclined to agree that EV's are part of the future of motorcycling and personal transport in general.

Everyone is assuming that we'll have EV-ICE parity within a few short years. Erm, it doesn't really look that way. While battery performance is improving, it's not happening that fast. We'll need a real leap in battery tech, like, perhaps, the semi-flow battery concept they're working on at MIT. But even that concept has some major issues to resolve and likely won't see any practical application for another decade. There are some other improvements in energy density on the horizon for lithium-ion batteries, but consider that, even though ICEs are pretty energy inefficient, batteries still have to get a lot better to get in the same performance/range/price ballpark.

So EVs will probably remain limited-use vehicles for a while yet. And that's fine. If I can justify it and have a need, I could even own one. In the meantime, it feels like we're ignoring other options like alternative fuels, which, in some respects, might be a better solution.

And then Buz can keep his booming exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
In related news, GM has suspended production of the Chevy Volt due to low demand.

Kind of a shame since it's supposed to be a nice car and I think the plug-in hybrid concept is the most viable given the state of battery tech.

But at only 40 MPG (yes, the battery range is apparently exaggerated...again) and about $41K after the government tax incentive for the base model (and higher maintenance costs), it doesn't make much sense when you can buy a comparably equipped and performing car--that actually gets better gas mileage--for much, much less.

By the way, Kevin, I'll take your bet, mostly because both of us will be dusty bones by then, but also because, like Seruzawa, I think it's possible that we happen upon a better solution than EVs.

Frankly, I'm more interested in what we'll have in 20 years because planning/predicting the course for any industry 100 years out, especially at the current (and accelerating) rate of technological advancement, is impossible. And, again, I'll be dead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.