Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There's frequent criticism here about overweight, oversized ST bikes. This should answer that.

I'm sure its true, but saying that having both pistons rising and falling together reduces vibration seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't having more weight at each end if the stroke be more unbalanced and thus create more vibes? If anyone can explain that is appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I read about BMW's balance rod solution that JM referenced. It's clever, no doubt.

But why not have one piston hitting TDC while the other hits BDC? That's how my Vee's 90-degree twin achieved balance without weights or rods. HD throws both pistons up and down together on their Vee, which creates their unique engine "experience."

I reject the inline twin engine for it's inherent design failures! All manufacturers should immediately cease and desist their construction forthwith and replace them with V-4s!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Big difference between a V and an inline Kenneth.

Harleys pistons stagger just a little due to the single pin crank giving it the potato sound.

I think think an inline would shake side to side like crazy if they did what you suggested.
Sure there is, all the designs have their own characteristics, benefits, disadvantages, etc. I was just hoping someone had the specifics as to why this engine was designed this way vs other I twins.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One thing to remember is these are physically small bikes, if you are um... "econmoy sized" you ain't gonna fit..

When I had my GS in for a service they gave me one as a loaner and I felt like a circus bear riding a tricycle on it, YMMV but buyer beware..
When I was deciding on the CB I watched the Honda design team video, which has a segment with a former Japanese racer riding around on it. When I saw the bike In person the first time I was shocked at how small it was. I didn't realize the racer dude must be about 4' tall and 90 lbs. It's false advertising I tell you!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One thing to remember is these are physically small bikes, if you are um... "econmoy sized" you ain't gonna fit..

When I had my GS in for a service they gave me one as a loaner and I felt like a circus bear riding a tricycle on it, YMMV but buyer beware..
When I was deciding on the CB I watched the Honda design team video, which has a segment with a former Japanese racer riding around on it. When I saw the bike In person the first time I was shocked at how small it was. I didn't realize the racer dude must be about 4' tall and 90 lbs. It's false advertising I tell you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts