Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I think it's a cool bike that should strike a chord with middle-aged riders. Hopefully the market responds with enough demand to make importing the bike here worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
It wasn't until Honda came out with the Elsinore that anyone took them seriously.
I dare say that people began to take Honda seriously nearly a decade earlier when it created a four-stroke GP bike, the incredible 250 Six, that beat the best the world could offer.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Very true, though Mike the Bike had something to do with it too. My perspective is colored by my obsession with Motocross at that time and it was the Elsinore that caught everyone flat footed. At least from a what you could buy point of view, the Suzuki factory bikes the Belgians rode were a far cry from the TM400 you could buy .
Indeed, Mr. Bike played a significant role, but that's not taking anything away from the brilliant engineering. BTW, the 250-6 had 41.7cc cylinders. Honda's five-cylinder 125 used tiny 25cc cylinder displacement!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Unfortunately for Honda the 4stroke engine had reached it's limit with the technology available and became incapable of competing with the 2stroke in GP racing. That GP win was the last for many years until 4strokes returned by fiat.
As the former owner of an RZ500, I'm aware that two-strokes have a massive power/weight advantage. But keep in mind that it took until 1971 that a two-stroke won a 500cc GP, and MV Agusta won the '74 title with a four-stroke. It took some time - and Honda's withdrawal from GP racing in 1968 - before two-smokers became dominant.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Mr. Duke, were you able to ride the bike? I read they won't be in the US until March 2013, but I guess there's often demo models available before production units arrive.
Oh my. Was it not obvious I had ridden the bike? Yep, the CB will hit dealers in March.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Sorry, it's me. I read it a couple times, but for some reason it just wasn't clear to me if you'd ridden the bike or if someone else had.
I had hoped the "Quick Ride" headline and the third paragraph ("American Honda took an innovative step in giving us a short sample ride on the CB1100 a few days before its 2013 models were even announced. Although our ride was admittedly short, we got a fairly good idea of how the CB performs in a variety of environments.") were enough... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The lack of wheelie photos in the article did confuse the "did Duke actually ride it" issue :D
That's funny! Rest assured the CB's wheelie ability was tested. Too bad I had no photographer catching my crossed-up Eddie Lawson Superbike-era-style wheelie. When we get U.S.s-spec tester, you can be assured you'll have at least one shot of the bike on its back wheel. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Question to the editors: the demo bike y'all rode has a blacked-out engine, the CB1100 website shows a silver engine. Do you know what color the US bike's engine will be?
The powersports.honda.com site shows the engine as the same as the one we rode. It's mostly blacked out but has several chrome/silver accent pieces. Which site are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The CB750F of 78-81 had the engine mostly blacked out.
Thx, Seru, for saving me the research for edumacating! That's the era used for the basis of the new CB11. I actually prefer the black motor. YMMV...

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
An old Kawi ZRX is worthy of consideration if after this experience too. I suspect the ZRX has similar "easy" power, just considerably more of it, but without the air cooled rustle. Would be interesting to ride them around back to back and see how they "feel" as the feel is the thing with this kind of bike.
I dig the ZRXs. Surprisingly, I liked the 1100 more than the 1200, as it felt more nimble. And that's the biggest difference between the Kawis and the new CB. The Honda, with its narrow tires, feels many dozens of pounds lighter than the ZRXs.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Thank you!

I know you had a short ride, but do you recall if the bike had a fuel guage? I can't find that detail on the interweb sources; just that it has a ".9 gal reserve" in it's 3.8 gallon tank.
Yep, on the LCD panel between the analog clocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.