Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I'm really happy they decided to bring this bike here. I have a feeling they're going to sell a boatload of them. Think of how well HD has done with their nostalgia market, now here's a bike aimed at the 100's of thousands of guys who owned, rode, or had a Dad, older brother, etc., who had a CB750.

And if the aftermarket steps in, with retro tank kits, 4/1 pipes, fork extenders (just kidding), it'll be even more fun! I wonder if the original Vetter molds are still around?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
BTW, Honda was by no means the first company to produce 4 cylinder bikes. Indian and Henderson for starters. Ariel.
Quite true, but certainly Honda blew every other bike and manufacturer away with the CB750. Engineering, style, technology, accessibility (price and volume) were an order of magnitude ahead of the competition. Every rider I knew from '70 to '74 either wanted one, was trying to buy one, had one, or was hatin' the guys who did!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Mr. Duke, were you able to ride the bike? I read they won't be in the US until March 2013, but I guess there's often demo models available before production units arrive.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Suzuki went back to it's roots and is making blacked out Harley clones.

BOSS man
Geez, what did Suzuki do to you?

They've re-designed the DL650, which is selling out across the US, they have a new Moto GP bike in development, a re-designed and seriously upgraded DL1000 will be out in 2014.

Suzuki is a fraction the size of Honda and Kawi, but they still produce a number of great bikes. I don't like their cruisers either, but obviously somebody does.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
At first notice I was not excited about this bike. It had to be my less than stellar attitude at the time. Seeing it in the flesh immediately told me how wrong I was. This bike is beautiful. Modern technology with the classic cb look and geometry. As a primary ride I'm all in.
Who will be the first MOron to buy one? I hope it's ME!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Question to the editors: the demo bike y'all rode has a blacked-out engine, the CB1100 website shows a silver engine. Do you know what color the US bike's engine will be?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The powersports.honda.com site shows the engine as the same as the one we rode. It's mostly blacked out but has several chrome/silver accent pieces. Which site are you looking at?
The dedicated CB1100 site:

Honda Worldwide | CB1100 | Introduction

As far as I can see, all the photos show the silver engine. They even mention the "polished silver finish" in the text.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
So Johnny Future is gonna buy a relic from the past.

It's time for some "viable technology" Kenneth.
Forget it Buzz. I told you, we're THROUGH since you've been boasting about your wild drinking trips to FL without a Quiznos or even a call for me.

You just go on about your business, Mr. Mister. There's nothing for you here anymore.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
No matter what the Euros get, we're getting the black engine in North America.
Well that's just wrong. Dead wrong. It's an outrage.

This is a "retro" bike, and it's supposed to evoke the CB750. I don't remember any Honda CBs; from 350's, 500's, to 750's, that came with black engines, do you? They were all sliver, just like damn near every other UJM that was imported from the late '60's through the 80's. Putting a black engine in this bike is like Triumph painting a Bonneville in Kawasaki neon-green.

Who's in charge at Honda USA? I need names, email addresses, phone numbers.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
This movie has made this mature rider want one more than I did before. It was just like riding the back roads in Ohio.
Me too. But I have to admit: it's sort of hard to get used to the idea that I'm relating to products and designs marketed for "mature" riders.

There's some really nice shots of the hardware in there, and I like the design sketches etc. too.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Buzz is going to have a sh*tfit...

Because it's not electric.

I went to Riva today and put down a deposit on a CB1100 ABS. It'll be here 3/15. It's going to be a really long 5 weeks!

Anybody want to buy a really well-maintained VStrom 1000?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Come by the house in March and you can take it for a spin!

It's interesting the ZRX came up here. I was talking to the Riva sales manager yesterday about retro Japanese bikes, and he brought it up as well. I don't know much about the bike, but apparently it has quite a following. Have there been any other new retro Japanese bikes introduced here or overseas aside from the ZRX or this Honda?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Oh Jeebus, Man! Shades of Honda HawkGT!

Better learn to get used to 120-miles between Fill-ups!
Frankly I'd love to have an excuse to pull over on those road trips. "Sorry guys, need gas again!" Then I sneak off to bust yet another whizz, swallow another couple more Tylenols, stretch the aging joints...

But I think the damn thing is producing 70 mpg...which is ridiculous. That's 200 miles or more a tank!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Oh, yeah, and Ken - I'm not gonna bust your balls because it's not electric.

I'm gonna bust your balls because it's just as much a retro, old farts' bike as anything in the Harley line-up.

Welcome to the Dark Side!
I'm thrilled to be here! Not only am I buying a retro old-fart bike, but this article fits me to a "T" (aside from the fact that I'm not 60-something yet...still a youthful and dynamic 50ish).

"Old man act stupid. Old man fall down. Old man break brittle bones."
Older motorcycle riders more likely to get badly hurt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.