Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
This bike is a blank canvas. Perhaps Honda will offer all sorts of accessories to personalize it. Single seats, bikini fairings, etc. Just like the old days. I am afraid not enough people will be interested though.

I am not hugely interested in this, but there is some interest. Do it all general purpose bikes do that. Been there and done sport bikes, not interested in cruisers all that much. ADV bikes are kinda cool, but I have a dirt bike. Got a case of the blehs. Perhaps if it worsens to critical mass, I will be interested in this bike.

What I really want though, is a mint GS1000S. My buddy has one. Lucky bastard. Those bikes exude coolness. Pretty damn fast too, his has been completely taken apart and gone through. It wears 29mm smoothbore carbs, cams, ported head (by Kaz Yoshima himself no less) and other period mods. It is probably putting out around 130 some odd horsepower, and it makes a wonderfully smooth baritone wail. What a pleasure to ride.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Suzuki went back to it's roots and is making blacked out Harley clones.

BOSS man
Geez, what did Suzuki do to you?

They've re-designed the DL650, which is selling out across the US, they have a new Moto GP bike in development, a re-designed and seriously upgraded DL1000 will be out in 2014.

Suzuki is a fraction the size of Honda and Kawi, but they still produce a number of great bikes. I don't like their cruisers either, but obviously somebody does.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
That GS is a beauty, Suzuki always did have some really nice performance oriented bikes on the street and in the dirt. At least the factory bikes were nice with Barry Sheene in GP and Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster and Slyvain Geboers in Motocross.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Mr. Duke, were you able to ride the bike? I read they won't be in the US until March 2013, but I guess there's often demo models available before production units arrive.
Oh my. Was it not obvious I had ridden the bike? Yep, the CB will hit dealers in March.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Sorry, it's me. I read it a couple times, but for some reason it just wasn't clear to me if you'd ridden the bike or if someone else had.
I had hoped the "Quick Ride" headline and the third paragraph ("American Honda took an innovative step in giving us a short sample ride on the CB1100 a few days before its 2013 models were even announced. Although our ride was admittedly short, we got a fairly good idea of how the CB performs in a variety of environments.") were enough... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The lack of wheelie photos in the article did confuse the "did Duke actually ride it" issue :D
That's funny! Rest assured the CB's wheelie ability was tested. Too bad I had no photographer catching my crossed-up Eddie Lawson Superbike-era-style wheelie. When we get U.S.s-spec tester, you can be assured you'll have at least one shot of the bike on its back wheel. :cool:

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
That GS is a beauty, Suzuki always did have some really nice performance oriented bikes on the street and in the dirt. At least the factory bikes were nice with Barry Sheene in GP and Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster and Slyvain Geboers in Motocross.
Suzuki OWNED the 80s between the GSXR750 and the mighty GS1150E. That E engine powered dragbikes until the factory dies finally wore out a few years back. Kwacker gave the E a good run for its money with the big Zs. Neither Honda nor Yammer ever competed effectvely with the E.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Suzuki OWNED the 80s between the GSXR750 and the mighty GS1150E. That E engine powered dragbikes until the factory dies finally wore out a few years back. Kwacker gave the E a good run for its money with the big Zs. Neither Honda nor Yammer ever competed effectvely with the E.
Yeah that's a killer engine. Look at the original a/o cooled GSXR engine too, it powered a generation of sportbikes then went on to power the excellent 1200 Bandit. For $500 and a phone call to Dale Walker you could bolt on close to 140 hp in a couple of hours..

Englands Superbike Magazine toured the Suzuki factory a few years ago and compared them to a Japanese Ducati, IE a single factory, huge racing department and basically hand built and blueprinted engines. I had a couple of Bandits as you know and loved them, fun bikes.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I had my mullet tangled into major knots by an old GS1150E at the time. Fun bike, my buddy looped it crossing an intersection with a chick on the back. Crowned intersection, weight on the back he wasnt used to and over she went before he knew what happened. Ground through the cases along with other damage. Totalled... Bummer

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Viewing #2

At first notice I was not excited about this bike. It had to be my less than stellar attitude at the time. Seeing it in the flesh immediately told me how wrong I was. This bike is beautiful. Modern technology with the classic cb look and geometry. As a primary ride I'm all in.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
At first notice I was not excited about this bike. It had to be my less than stellar attitude at the time. Seeing it in the flesh immediately told me how wrong I was. This bike is beautiful. Modern technology with the classic cb look and geometry. As a primary ride I'm all in.
Who will be the first MOron to buy one? I hope it's ME!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Question to the editors: the demo bike y'all rode has a blacked-out engine, the CB1100 website shows a silver engine. Do you know what color the US bike's engine will be?

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Question to the editors: the demo bike y'all rode has a blacked-out engine, the CB1100 website shows a silver engine. Do you know what color the US bike's engine will be?
The powersports.honda.com site shows the engine as the same as the one we rode. It's mostly blacked out but has several chrome/silver accent pieces. Which site are you looking at?

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.