Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone who's ridden these compare them to the BMW R1200 RT?
3 months ago I'v been in europe for 2500 km trip on the ST.
I am riding R1200RT for two years now (after many years on R1150RT), and can compare the two.
the ST feels havier, and lack the stability in high speeds.
it is smoother then the bimmer due to 4 cylinder engine Vs a boxer.
it does not vibrate as much (I don't mind).
I did'nt like the sound of it (like a sawing machine).
good mpg.
good cornering (depends on the driver).
no heating in hands or seat.
good trunk and gloves compartment ( one is lockable).
all in all, the best comparison was when I came back from the trip and got back on my bike...
if you have a spesific question, please feel free to ask.
the bimmer is a better package IMO.
yaron

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
If you guys had the cajones of the Euro-Moto-Journos, you'd ride each bike off a 15' seawall and drop them on a concrete dock. And, you could test rider gear like armored jackets and padded pants by crash landing in a sailboat penispit as each the bike hit the dock.
One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.
The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)
I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!
That's a good point because when I visit L.A. with my Tiger I remove the sidecases when I'm planning to lane split. They just stick out too far. And the bike's so damm tall that they are perfect for clipping mirrors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range. That makes the Honda ST1300 the winner in my book. The ST1300 seems to be downgraded for nothing more than it's weight. Having toured for 10 years on a VFR800 and fearing for my life more than once in the seemingly ever present cross winds of eastern Washington state, I much prefer the stability that the weight of my ST1300 gives me now. I also use GIVI's largest top case and haven't had any stability issues with the ST1300.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Best weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range. That makes the Honda ST1300 the winner in my book.
And that's perfectly understandable. However, the Honda finished last in our Grin Factor category, and that's an important aspect of a bike to many riders. It would be interesting to hear your comments if you had a chance to take a new FJR out for a long ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And that's perfectly understandable. However, the Honda finished last in our Grin Factor category, and that's an important aspect of a bike to many riders. It would be interesting to hear your comments if you had a chance to take a new FJR out for a long ride.
Your priorities change when you get older. Grin factor might make the FJR and C14 better sportbikes, but touring for most means lots of interstate miles and the better weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range, in addition to a smoother motor on the highway than the FJR, make the ST1300 a more touring focused bike and therefore in my opinion a better tourer.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Your priorities change when you get older. Grin factor might make the FJR and C14 better sportbikes, but touring for most means lots of interstate miles and the better weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range, in addition to a smoother motor on the highway than the FJR, make the ST1300 a more touring focused bike and therefore in my opinion a better tourer.
Yep, I think we can all agree the ST is the better tourer of this group. Whether it's the best sport-tourer depends on how one intends to use it. :)

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Yep, I think we can all agree the ST is the better tourer of this group. Whether it's the best sport-tourer depends on how one intends to use it. :)
K-Duke isn't yet what we refer to as an "Old Man on a 'Wing". Yet.

But his day is coming - Oh, yes......

>rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling maniacally<

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
K-Duke isn't yet what we refer to as an "Old Man on a 'Wing". Yet.

But his day is coming - Oh, yes......

>rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling maniacally<
Well, thank god that day hasn't yet come! I find acting like a teenager helps keep me young. ;)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts