Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Look for two more Star models soon, the Screw and the Nut. Both with special seats.
Complete with ugly fuel tank seams! The "Screw" model's special feature will become apparent at resale time when it sells for $1900 less thus offsetting the $9 purchase price advantage.

At first I didn't want to spell it out, but this is MO after all.

Maybe this will start a trend. The Polaris "Lockwasher". The Vulcan "Easy-Out".

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I know this is a really un-cool thing to say, but that's a pretty goddamn nice looking bike.

Yes, it's a Harley copy. But if my wife turned herself into a copy of Kate Upton, I wouldn't complain.
Er, I'm not sure you would care for the incredibly high maintenance. Might be fun to find out though.

And of course the bolt looks good. It looks exactly like a Harley.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I've found HD's quality control and reliability on the new bikes to be comparable to any other brands myself. The bad old days if they really were that bad are long gone. In my personal experiance owning Harleys over a 30 year span I would say I've been very lucky with them, more so than the few Hondas I've owned.

On the weight issue you may be right, the Sporty is a porker as befitting a 50 year old I guess, not sure how the Yamaha plays out on that one.

I think the dealer experiance is what you make it, granted I deal with the same two shops and have done so over the 30 years I've been buying Harleys so maybe I'm just lucky. Even when I owned other brands I stopped by and stayed in touch with friends who worked there, went riding with them etc. I have had salesmen try to tack on the extras but I just say no untill they get the picture, I'm not afraid to point out that my money and credit work just as well elswhere. I guys buyer beware is the key.

The Harley Stigma is a fact of life as you pointed out, a lot of people find it off-putting, again it doesn't really bother me, I wear the same Arostitch suit whether I'm patched up on a function or just out knocking around catching some air. I guess realistically I do lean toward the pirate end of the scale with my chain drive wallet, black HD shirts and club braid on my key chain and handlebars. I'm a large bald guy with a beard, what else am I going to look like?

I guess the bottom line is that I don't like copies, I value authenticity and if that comes with a few negetivies I'd rather suffer them than feel like I was a wannabe. As I said I'm sure the Yamaha is a fine bike, most of them are, just not for me.
Well said. Just don't forget that the Sportster/KH was a "copy" of the Triumph/BSA twins the GIs demanded after WWII.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.