Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Coincidence?

Is it just a coincidence that all these Japanese companies are finding reasons to celebrate an anniversary the same year as H-D's 100th?

Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Re: Coincidence?

Why let a 50 year hole in your production cycle stop you? lol

What's Indian celebrating? Five years of building Softail knockoffs?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

I agree with you on the Willow Springs comment (Yellow ST4 here).

I was referring to anniversary editions complete with special models, paint, etc. Yamaha is celebrating the 25th anniversary of a bike they don't even make anymore and painting the Road Star silver and slapping badges on it.

My congrats to Suzuki. They make some awesome motorcycles.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

Oh well, you've got to get hype any way you can I guess.

I won't be riding one anytime soon unless someone wants to donate a '46 Chief to me.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

That's my point exactly. It just seems like more than a coincidence that these companies found reasons to have anniversaries the same year as H-Ds 100th.

I mean the Road Star is silver and has special badges on it? Come on now.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

That used to be the commentary on Jaguars. You never had to change the oil because after 3000 miles you would have replaced it all anyway!

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

Valentine's Day is what they tell me.

Supposedly it shipped yesterday from York, PA.

Can I borrow some money?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

I didn't sleep through sales and marketing class though and I can spot a bit of "glomming on" when I see it.

I'm not saying it's foolish or bad on Suzuki or Yamaha's part but they certainly are trying to "bask in the glow."

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
As a Catholic and a Harley rider....Excellent!

Do you think they'll make a novelty helmet like the Pope's lid? I've got an extra DOT sticker to pop on the back.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

MMMM HMMM

Suzuki is celebrating it's "charter" in California which was established in 1963. Bikes came later. Let's all celebrate the Charter!

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I'm not saying it's wrong

I think my original statement here was perceived as being critical of Yamaha and Suzuki for "celebrating" anniversaries.

I'm a sales and marketing guy so I know a little something about this stuff. Harley is going to be getting an obnoxious amount of press coverage come summertime. Anyone would want to ride those coattails for a bit. That's called effective marketing.

If one thinks that Suzuki celebrating the 40th anniversary of their "charter" in California or Yamaha's 25th anniversary of the XS650 (commemorated by a 98 cubic inch Road Star!) is simply a coincidence doesn't know sales and marketing strategies very well.

If H-Ds 100th anniversary was in 2004 instead of this year, Suzuki would have waited and celebrated 40 years after its first bike was imported in 1964 (a very good year I might add! ;-) rather than celebrate its "charter."

I'm not judging any of these companies intentions or motives. I believe I'm simply pointing out the obvious. Quite frankly, I think both companies products are marvelous and agree the new R-1 is a work of art.

Now about that Orange and Black Hyabusa.................

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

I forgive you for not understanding how marketing departments think or press coverage works.

You're right. The 40th anniversary of filing paperwork in California is a big deal, a really big deal.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Re: Celebrating the XS650 Special

What's funny about celebrating the XS650 is that Yamaha is ingnoring the VStar 650 (which is a nice entry level cruiser) and doing the anniversary deal with the 98 inch Road Star.

The dealer just called me yesterday and said he received the due bill so it's on the way! He used the call as an opportunity to see if I wanted to accessorize prior to the bike getting there.

The only thing I really want is the nifty organizer that attaches to the Tour Pak lid. That's only about $70 so he's going to be bummed when I don't slather the thing in additional chrome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts