Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my sons 03 nighthawk for a ride and the front end felt a litttle "loose" to me. At low speeds (30-40 MPH) it seemed to dart with just slight steering inputs. Any way I put it on the center stand and jacked the front end up. Everything seems tight, no play in the steering stem, front axle etc but with the front end turned about 10 degrees to the bikes right the wheel will fall back to the left without any inputs.

I checked for tight cables and things like that and found nothing. Anyone have any thoughts/fixes??

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You wouldn't need "tight" cables for a wheel to pull to one side when it's in the air. The cables are still under a bit of tension. It would be insignificant while moving but with a well-lubed steering head, the forks will move. So that doesn't signal a thing to me.

The light steering is probably a characteristic of the bike that you are simply not used to, especially given your experience with a Harley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be right. I have put about 1,500 miles on this bike, but I hadn't riden it in about a month. It just felt a little "squirrelly" this last time. Thanks for the replies.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
A squirrel has taken up residence in your front tyre, causing the screwy steering.

You need a big white bulldog with a badge, or a dumb bear wearing a ballcap to chase it away.

Get it? Squirrel? Screwy? Bear with a hat? TEX AVERY!?

Phillistines....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for comparison I checked the front end on my VStrom. The Vstrom doesn't fall to either side unless you push the wheel that way. I'm really thinking the Honda may need the steering stem torque checked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.