Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is BMW going to offer fake Iron Cross tattoos too?

How about a special cell phone that plays "Flight of the Valkyries"?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Maybe the book will explain why they saddled a cool bike like the rockster with primer and zinc chromate paint. Maybe it's to match the feld grau arm chaps them beemer boyz wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Poor BMW. Even as one of my favorite manufacturers, they just don’t get through sometimes. Why 8th in the Cycle World comparo, for instance?

Anyway, the best shaft drive sporty bikes in the world add to their own misery, but profits are up, so what the hell? The sapphire white had me drooling, and now I find it ONLY comes with ABS, and potentially a European vacation. The essential options.

I love them. I hate them. Make it stop.

·
Registered
179 Posts
if it wasn't such a depressed travel market, I would have said it was a great deal but..

with the current world situation, the airlines are almost paying YOU to go somewhere outside the USA.

sure, I'd like to have one but... I'd still get spanked on the road by 80% of the "rising sun" bikes.

Oh well, it's a nice read, but not a buy.

one more thing, here's my deal:

lower the price to 10K and make the 'trip' a video at the dealership and I'll buy it!

I promise :)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
"I'd still get spanked on the road by 80% of the "rising sun" bikes."

Sounds like you need a track school and not worry about what you ride so much. A racer buddy of mine was tripping out to find an RT on his @ss that he couldnt shake on a local road. Blew his mind that a 50 year old man on a touring bike was so [email protected] fast. The street evens out most bikes, you can only go so fast around dirty blind corners. No better bragging rights than smoking full on sport bikes with your beamer. Even better was with my old KLR 650. ;) Ride safe.

As for the promotion, if I didnt already have a bmw I would be all over it. Probably the only excuse I could find to go to Germany for a tour. That and your travel costs are financed, nothing out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It's good to know that at least some of the MO readers have a grasp of the complexities of real world riding, and the proper type of motorcycle to use in that venue. I am 53 years old and ride a somewhat modified BMW R 100 GS, and regularly show my backside to some of the so called sport bike riders on the corner filled mountain roads here in northern California. VWW

·
Registered
356 Posts
thats great, its all rider of course. hell you put some of the track guys on a friggin chopper and they will hand yes, even you, your ass. so its all relative, eh?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Actually a great package idea with a motorcycle that has no idea of what it is, where it is going and what category of motorcycle it belongs in--if it even belongs any specific category at all. This is such a feeble attempt at capturing a market segment that BMW should have planned for a decade ago. Slap some silly-ass graphics, dumb-up the paint and behold instance market share! Yeah, right. BMW needs to start from scratch and they know it.

And for all you inane pukes out there that ragged on the Motorola/H-D cell phone in this case it would be a Siemens cell phone (just for clarification).

And since we won the war and financed the war without Germany, all Americans deserve a discount on this package direct from BMW considering we are BMW's largest market for their products. And don't give me that BMW USA crap either as the parent company is still German and always will be headed out of Germany. So if you partake as one of the two-hundred suckers and you're American think about it as you fly over to Germany to have your wallet emptied.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MO has always been the wrong forum to intelligently debate BMW's. Wrong, uh, demographics, shall we say? Too many rice burner weenies with thin wallets who can only afford things like rice burners and cheap talk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There ARE some of us here who have a deal of respect for BMW - both bike and cars. I don't ride one now because I have only been riding for 18 months and find most of the sporting Bimmers a bit heavy for my experience. And no, I don't ride a rice burner, I ride a Pommy Valiant (Triumph TT600).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Rockster equal Boxster? I don't think so.

Since I've owned BMW motorcycles I speak from experience. BMW motorcycles don't do much of anything wrong or right for that matter, they're about as plain vanilla as they come and I don't have a problem with that and enjoy that style of riding. And to that notion you can't slap crap on an existing model with a tweak here and there and call them something new or "attach" yourself to a market segment (they've now done this with two of their models).

There is some semantic tomfoolery going on here....is the Rockster synonymous to the Porsche Boxster in the hopes of revitalizing BMW motorcycles?

Porsche was in dire straits until the Boxster came along, BMW motorcycle sales is currently in dire straits. How? Although their sales and market share (not market segment in this instance) are up this increase is fueled by low to no interest BMW finance rates on their motorcycle line up. Low interest finance rates kill BMW motorcycle trade-in values as most potential buyers find it better to simply to take the low or no interest rate; don't believe me ask a BMW dealer who you know well (to avoid the typical sales BS). BMW has been doing this interest rate program far too long and simply cannot sustain business in this manner.

I blame a lot of this on BMW. Speak to the BMW dealers who were around in the seventies and eighties and they will tell you that when they spoke to their automotive counterpart, they were spoken down to as some sort of underling. This why some very good dealers no longer handle BMW motorcycles. Another complaint was how cheap people with money were when they came into buy a BMW motorcycle.

The Rockster will achieve little to nothing in capturing a mandatory market segment and age groups necessary to keep the doors open at BMW motorcycles. BMW will have to start with a fresh sheet of paper. BMW always thought they would remain the status symbol they once conjured. Unfortunate for BMW they now have major competition that is eroding their market share...rapidly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Flight of the Valkyries

Uh, my phone already plays "Flight of the Valkyries." Do I win a prize or something?

Mike L.

'99 Cyclone

·
Registered
179 Posts
to respond to both of you.

I'm NOT a racer.

I would LIKE to go to a track school.. will you pay? I don't NEED one (I'm sure I'll learn a LOT thought).

I have lived to ride for the past 30 yrs of bikin' in northern N.J. I think I have a 'one up' on most bikers throughout the country, except maybe NYC(those guys are crazy!). Period.

I agree that a BMW can beat a sport bike with the right rider. Just not this one. :)

and, no I'm not looking for praise,

I CAN'T prove it to you (I'm in N.J.) and I know BMW4VWW is in Ca.(we have corresponded on a different subject),

as for 12er and John.. If you are close I'll demonstrate.

I don't wish to be flamed.

I'm just stating my skill level and the power/ handling capabilities of most UJM sportbikes.. Mine included ('02 RC51)that is ...if you have the skill. and it's true. I've spanked gsxrs in the twisties with my 883R.. but then the straight's come and, bye bye.. which makes it that much harder to catch them in the next turn.. get my point?

besides... does this Beemer come with Carbon fiber skid plates on it's Cylinder heads? , 'cause you'll need them if you plan on making that 'spankem' statement come true.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.