Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not? Honda already makes a 650cc 'scooter' with auto trans. I rode one and it's not my thing but I plenty of people like them.

BTW, it was VERY difficult to keep myself from pulling in the 'clutch' which was actually the brake.

·
Registered
771 Posts
From the comments put up on this site in the past, (re: not liking to shift to much). Alot of MOrons would prefer to have an automatic trans. If they would be honest with themselves.

Personally, I would not buy a bike with one, but I could see a good market for beginners bikes, and cruisers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The new mega scooters are quite a trend in Europe these days. I have ridden one of the big Suzuki scooters and I thought it was a lot of fun. Nice cushy seat, great riding position, sweet transmission. I had trouble keeping from grabbing the brake, which is where the clutch normally is, and somehow felt insecure without a tank to grip with my legs. But I think it was a great mount. If you get a chance to ride one of them, try it. I think you'll be surprised at the comfort and handling.

Francis

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my wife the Suzuki Burgman 400 and have taken it for a spin or two. I like it! There is quite a bit of storage under the seat and in the gloveboxes. It handles very well and has a good ride but feels very light on the road. The rear brake lever does not take long to adjust too either. I do miss having a tank to grab with my knees. Only problem is the macho factor is pretty low. I would like to try one of the 650's now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe an auto Goldwing ? It would be smoother than foot shifting and stop the water splashing from the kitchin sink on those trips with a lot of stop starting.I test rode the Honda auto and the Guzzi semi auto.The one thing I can remember is how cornering took on a whole new meaning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got a 650 Burgman automatic mega scooter. Use it for local stuff. FJR for distances and S3 for blasting.

Burgman is lots of fun - took it from Dallas to Key West and back before I bought the FJR. No problem blowing off most Harleys and arriving in better shape physically. Paddle shifter fun for manual shifts if you want. Just like a Ferrari !

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bah.

Anyone who thinks old men wouldn't snatch up 1800cc automatic goldwings needs to hang out with more old men.

Make an automatic transmission an option on the Wing, and you'd sell thousands.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Bah.

maybe... but I think the problem is... there probably is not enough room to jam in an automatic transmission on the current wing. However; i'll bet the wing definately has enough power to drive an auto tranny. And the people who like wings are definately candidates for auto tranny's

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Upon reading this, I immediately curtailed my Whalpoling activities and cancelled my trip to the Whimsleydale Cheese Shop. Its usually bereft of cheese anyway.

The old Hondamatic did not sell well, but was popular used for many years by the handicapped and as a wife bike.

I'm not exactly excited about a new scooter, but hey: why not? Times have changed. Big, powerful scooters look like a good way to attract new folks into the fold. More customers = a bigger, more diverse aftermarket. More is better!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think I'd be almost as happy with the scooters amazing ability to just to annoy the heck out of the doctrinare amongst us.

Gotta run: there is a Mickey Rourke/Jerry Lewis Film Festival downtown. Must find the beret before I can mount the scooter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Okay fellow mofo,s ,since I started this,let me fan the flames.You can google up gilera ferro,or gilera 850 automatic,or maximoto .uk although they are a bit old.I found it and was suprised that it looked like a buell lightening!i.e naked .I also ran across a apicture of them testing one. naturally they had it disguised,but take a look. Anything that will get people out of their cages and get us catching up with the rest of the world I am for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think that any models like this one are geared to the US market, which is totally different market. IN Europe, bikes are basic transportation (what a concept!). The parking lot at the parking terminal in Venice, Italy, has more bikes parked there on any given day than I see in an entire day of riding in LA. It's a bit like the Rock store on Sunday, and we are talking VENICE, the one with canals! Go to any mid or large size Italian city and you'll see what I mean. Friends of mine who are professionals (investment consultants, doctors, university professors) back in Italy have scooters because they can get through traffic and park easily (and gas is at 1.22 euros A LITER, a euro is about 1.2 dollars, you do the math...). For that kind of use you can't beat a scooter with its storage, relaxed riding position. etc. I owned a Vespa P200 (200 cc, 2 stroke) and in that environment it was a great ride, much better than a Ducati 999 would be.

The point is that here we are in a different environment and the market is very different. Aprilia, for example, lives and dies with its scooter line. The tuono, mille, etc. are more for prestige, the bucks come from scooters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.