Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
What is a 1972 CB 650? Maybe a CB 350?

Never heard of it...don't think Honda ever made one...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
What? Speak into the trumpet son.

Oops, a search just turned up a bunch of stuff on the CB650. Sorry. 1979 to 1982. Guess I missed that one...and since I own a veritable plethora of vintage Hondas, guess I really should have known...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Get a Honda XL100R and ride the snot out of it.

Street legal, easy to pick up after you dump it, and darn near indestructable.

Starts easy too.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I dunno, my '71 CB350 runs like a top, and the 71 CL runs pretty darn good too.

Just keep the oil and oil slinger clean. Can't imagine a more reliable motorcycle than the venerable 350 twin honda.

Stay off the crack Dr.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Do you agree that "well thrashed" is not "well maintained"?

Admitted, the cam bearings on a 350 twin (or should I say lack of them) are something to watch, but the rest of the bike is pretty much idiot proof.

I've got 24000 miles on the CB, and 7700 on the CL. Both bought from the original owners (who kept them up). With regular maintenance they should last a long time.

Only bad thing about 30+ year old Japanese bikes, parts are getting scarce. And expensive.

Now if I could just wear out the KZ750 to see if you're right...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I don't think your argument hold true anymore. The older these bikes become, the more they'll be worth (ones in good shape that is).

In 2001, I sold a 1967 CB450 (Black Bomber) to some guy in Japan for $2,500.00. Another guy in Scotland is willing to pay $3K for a decent example of an early CL350.

And I just sold a 1968 DT1 Enduro in OK shape that needed engine work for $1,300.00.

So maybe there's still hope for your old IT.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Was the 350 four...

I think they were 550's in '72, as I had a 1972 CB550Four. I always wondered about that.

What was the smallest four they made? Wasn't there a 360 or 350 four to go along with the 350 twin?
That had a bad habit of the cam chain sawing the motor in half. I had one, what a stone. Looks like it had a 500 four lower end with little dinky jugs on top. Sold mine to some homeless guy who put a horse saddle on it, and some gigantic leather fringed handgrip protectors. He use to live in the LA river, and I guess one rainy season both he and the bike got washed out to sea. Maybe flounders are using it now as an artificial reef.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts