Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
There have been talks on and off about building a world-class race course in Russia pretty much since the day after the Berlin Wall came down, but given the country's current climate it's still terribly unlikely to happen. Between the roles of the criminal class in any big-budget project in the country and the still-bumbling national bureaucracy, just getting this thing built in the first place would cost enough to horrify even Bernie Ecclestone, if it can be completed in the first place.

Two other long-term concerns: With the Russian economy the way it is, attracting enough bodies to make the location viable is very unlikely; and really, how many Russians are even interested in motorcycles to begin with?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Speaking of NASCAR

WTF? HOw much skill does it take to ride in circles slightly out of shape on the gas? If you watch those F1 and Touring car races, man those guys are fighting the cars all the time. Shoot, the WSB and GP guys look like they are wrestling a rabid bear sometimes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
former soviet union?

why can't you just say russia? its a minor point, but unless it is relevant to the matter at hand, its really unncessesary to refer to something as what it used to be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Speaking of NASCAR

I hate NASCAR, but not because it's an "easy" sport. It actually takes a lot of skill to do what those guys do. In principle, it's similar to flat track or dirt track, which has produced some of the top racers (currently look at Garry McCoy and even the Haydens). If one is focused on only one aspect of a sport, all other sports will seem trivial because they are not centered around that aspect. Being a closed circuit racing fan and trying some on my own, I am often tempted to discard something like NASCAR as a dumb sport because they only turn left. The thing is it's not about going through a seres of turns, but rather being able to consistantly keep a vehicle on the edge, much closer to the edge than on a road course. On an oval, one has to keep finding traction and establishing a good drive under constantly changing conditions over a large number of laps. It's not easy. But I don't like NASCAR and it's for personal reasons: I simply don't like the technology and the rules. That's it. Let's face it, most of us complain a lot less when we see an Indy Car race or a CART race on the same oval.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: former soviet union?

"Russia" and the "former Soviet Union" are not synonyms. Lithuania and the Ukraine are both part of the former Soviet Union but not Russia. The USSR was to Russia what Great Britain is to England.

However, in this context, the term "Russia" would have been more appropriate since...well...Moscow is very much inside the bounds of Russia.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A GP1 race in Russia!!! That is fantastic. I'm moving to Yekaterinburg next August for 2 years and will be there to see it. The only problem is that there are no Triumph dealers there (I have a Daytona)... looks like I'll be getting a Ural. Now the question, sidecar or no sidecar?

Who says Siberia and motorcycles don't mix?

·
Banned
7 Posts
wow..............!I was at Indy for the F1 race and I was thinking the whole time that they should get a bike race, maybe GP's or even Superbikes. Maybe the Nascar crowd will get into bikes if we race at their graceland...good job and keep posting to us at any time.

jumbip

excellent performance..............enfield

1 - 17 of 17 Posts