Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re:Sorry..I think you're nut too.

The bike you're describing is the new 1200 Sportster. Throw some bags and a windshield on that and you have a light weight touring bike.

My opinion is that they should call the XB1200 Lightning and Firebolt an XLH and XLCH Sportster and call the current 1200 a Harley Roadster and do away with the Buell brand all together.

As LR stated, the future for Harley is the V-Rod in place of the twin cam engine in all models except the Heretige Softtail. That will take a mental paradigm shift for The Faithfull, but after riding a modern hi-po VRod engine equipped bike, wrapped in an excellent Harley touring platform they might come around.

The biggest challange IMO is the perception that a Sportster is a girls or beginners bike by a lot of HD RUB's, when in fact it's more bike than most of them could handle with their kpail like two years of experiance, including a 150 mile weekend here and there.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: In answer to, good,sarnali...

The Road Glide in particular is a roomy good handling and comfy touring bike, and the Ultra Glide Classic is also tops in touring comfort while maintaining a sense that you're on a bike, instead of a two wheeled Acura.

The only real complaint with either one is that they're on the under powered side stock. The VRod engine shoehorned into that frame, or a VRod engine and frame configured for touring would address that issue.

As to Sportsters, the newest version 1200 has been tested by MO and most other puplications and has been found to put that paintshaker myth to bed quite nicely. The '78 XLH I had cranked out more than a few 300 mile days, which isn't much for a touring or sport touring bike, but was still no problem, and for me, I think, would be more comfortable than the hi-frequency vibration of a 600-4 cyl. which the FZ600 has been noted for.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: I have heard...

Why not?... Chances are all that iron-mongery would blow down instead of up, and even if it did the seat pan, frame and gas tank would deflect the chunks away from your nads.

I supposed a lap full of gas would suck, as I found out when one half of my 5 gal. fatbob tank split a seam awhile back... but hey, leathers are fire-proof (kinda')

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: If I may interject here....

Company's useing rock classics to flog their product's should be drawn and quartered

The only one that worked was Jaguar using "foolish Dreams"

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Predictions from the Great One

We were having a nice little discussion about the merits of Buell's and by extension Harleys and up pops our little sh*t-blister to take his usual off topic lurch into irrelevance

Oh well........

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: How come it takes a Buell?

I think you're right in a sense.. The big four in particular and (! stereotype alert !) Japanese corporations in general don't really innovate because they don't have to.

Their stock in trade is refinement of exhisting designs and searing quality control. I can't honestly think of anything the Japanese "invented" on their own except Saki, God bless 'em. But they can use an exhisting design, pick it apart to it's basic componants and tweak and refine it all day long.

Smaller companys like Buell, Ducati, ELF and Cosworth can try a design and refine it or bag it if it doesn't work because they have so much more flexibility BMW, while a larger company has a whole auto design and engineering infrastructure to pick and choose from.

The mental image of corporate Japan I have is a large room full of suits, with boards and graphs, studying each and every aspect of every change with complete micro-management from the marketing department of every decision.

With the smaller companys it's two or three guys sitting around saying "yeah, that might work, make a couple and we'll find out"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.